Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: 710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 14:40
I agree with rjdunn about timing. Also your math score seems a bit low compared to your practice scores. maybe you were just having a bad day. Guessing on 7 answers coupled with maybe just bad luck would account for a 20 in verbal. I'd recommend working on timing. You can definitely achieve 700+!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 389
Location: United States (VA)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: 710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 18:22
ammulujnt wrote:
:( gettin scared


I think the original poster answered his question on why his score dipped. He stated that he guessed about 7 questions in the verbal section, most toward the end.

The way I've approached this test is to simply keep a close eye on the time and work at a steady pace at about 2 min/question in math.

I don't care about the experimental to non-experimental ratio. The only test that really boggles people on that is the LSAT when there is an experimental section and then the test takers bite their fingernails for three weeks hoping that the section they felt that they bombed was the experimental.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 28
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 18:44
jko wrote:
satishchandraaily wrote:
But the fact is- I did not screw my exam; exam screwed me


In a 37 question problem set, guessing on the last 7 questions is a huge hit, but for a CAT problem set it's even worse. Not to mention whatever problems you missed in the first 30 problems.

The plus side here is that you know what you have to work on. Time management. Spend a month
working on your pacing and doing
more verbal problems and you should be able to dramatically
improve.


I agree with you. I can't be guessing the last 10. I will work on this difficiency.

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

Quant700-800(PS+DS)with solutions


17/11/2011-->Kaplan Diagnostic Free Test 680
19/01/2012-->MGMAT 690
26/01/2012 MGMAT 710

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 28
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 208 [1] , given: 0

Re: 710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 18:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
dmnk wrote:
You mentioned that you had completed more than 20 prep exams before taking the real GMAT. Is it possible that you did the same prep test more than once and that therefore your scores in the latter part of your preparation period could have been inflated?

Good point. You are trying to evaluate my argument by rising the best question. Had it been CR, I would have picked your question as my answer :)
However it is not the case.
These are tests I have given so far
Mgmat 6 tests
Powerprep 2 tests
Kaplan 2 tests
800scoregmat 5 tests
GMATprep 5 tests
Varitasprep test1

I could see 3 or 4 repetitive questions in my 4th and 5th GMATprep exams. I did not evaluate my wrong answers in first 3 gmatprep tests before writing 4th n 5 th test. I took snapshots n reviewed all wrong answers in last 15 days before my official GMAT.
So chances of getting inflated scores are less. If so, my gmatprep score might have got inflated by 10 or at max 20 points but not 150 points for sure.

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

Quant700-800(PS+DS)with solutions


17/11/2011-->Kaplan Diagnostic Free Test 680
19/01/2012-->MGMAT 690
26/01/2012 MGMAT 710


Last edited by satishchandraaily on 25 Oct 2011, 22:59, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 28
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 19:20
gmatpapa wrote:
I know how frustrating it can get. Honestly, though, 46 is not a score that reflects an IITian's quant ability.. Considering how big quant studs you guys are, so over confidence may be??

You guessed the last 10 questions on verbal- so that took care of your score going from 30 to 20 in pure arithmetic progression. Statistically, you have 20% chance of guessing a question correctly so even if you got 2/10 right,
spending 2-3 seconds/ question, the CAT would surely know that
you've guessed on the questions. So
most probably, no points there as
well (could be disputed but its just
my opinion).

----------------- story -- timing, timing, timing. Do as many official questions as possible and solve them by logic. That is what will get you through. No templates. No shortcuts. All my best wishes to you.


Hi dude. I must thank you for critically thinking on where could have I gone wrong and advising me your opinion.
First let's assume your logic about A.P. and algorithm about questions guessed.
If this is true, then why do they give GMATprep n powerprep with different algorithms.
I did the same in mgmat tests. Why would mgmat present their tests with different algo?
My friend, who gave exam in aug who scored 600 then n 540 on my exam day got 24 in verbal
She had scored 34 in august. She followed the same strategy as mine. She did guess from 32 to 41 questions but still she could score 34.
In these two months, I know how much she improved. Nothing has got reflected in the test.
Last one, I got 46 in quant when I started my prep. I did not all the quant formulae. I forgot all formulae after studying them in 12th n after studying for campus placements. When I got 46 at my start of prep, I could not finish quant I had to guess the last 4 questions.
I did solve very good tough quant questions with ease. FYI quant also had data 3 interpretation questions. I solved them with ease too.I was expecting 50 or 49.

My questions about whether a day can have any effects on score are still unanswered.
I ask this again and again because everyone who we knew who took exam on Oct 21st got 150 or more points less

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

Quant700-800(PS+DS)with solutions


17/11/2011-->Kaplan Diagnostic Free Test 680
19/01/2012-->MGMAT 690
26/01/2012 MGMAT 710


Last edited by satishchandraaily on 25 Oct 2011, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: potential future applicant
Joined: 11 Sep 2011
Posts: 41
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: 710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 20:59
GMAC is shady. I know someone who did >100 worse from an actual GMAT to another later actual GMAT, with more study....
They've had bugs in grading before and they're still completely opaque so who knows what it's doing with your answers. Extra shady if they're a for-profit organization.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 28
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 22:30
sda wrote:
GMAC is shady. I know someone who did >100 worse from an actual GMAT to another later actual GMAT, with more study....
They've had bugs in grading before and they're still completely opaque so who knows what it's doing with your answers. Extra shady if they're a for-profit organization.


Dude,
I did not completely understand what you meant to say.
_________________

Quant700-800(PS+DS)with solutions


17/11/2011-->Kaplan Diagnostic Free Test 680
19/01/2012-->MGMAT 690
26/01/2012 MGMAT 710

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 28
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 22:47
rjdunn03 wrote:
yeah from what I understand, and I believe it is posted on mba.com as well as in the OG, not finishing a section of the test dramatically drops your score. As others have mentioned, the algorithm likely took into account when you put the same answer for all of the last 7 questions and probably scored it the same as if you hadn't answered them at all.

The point of the GMAT isn't just to test how well you can answer verbal and quant questions, but how well you can manage the test. I'm sure any of us - given enough time - could get most GMAT questions right, but trying to answer them in under 2 minutes is much more challenging and it forces you to pick your battles and make educated guesses by eliminating answer choices etc.

The fact that you were only able to answer 30 V questions in time, and that you say that is how it has been in your practice exams tells me that you haven't learned to consistently manage your time. I'll echo what the above poster suggested: reschedule the test for a month from now and focus your efforts on timing. Practice timing strategy and learn to make smart guesses when you are starting to get behind. You'll be surprised how much your score can increase by employing these tactics.


Hi,
Thanks for your analysis on my test.
I dont know whether i have misread your post or not. But I want to clarify that I did finish off my test. I left no question unanswered.
My Questions are-
How is it treated answering questions in a row same option as same as leaving questions unasnwered?
It could happen that I read all last three and thought answer should be 'D' in a row. I may be wrong for any question. But does the program think I guessed and treat those questions as unanswered ones?
It's hard to believe and accept this as true mate.

However, I still feel spending equal time on all questions and managing time properly is great strategy. I will work upon it.

Also do you think any particular day can have its effect on scores? If majority of top scorers give exam on same day?
_________________

Quant700-800(PS+DS)with solutions


17/11/2011-->Kaplan Diagnostic Free Test 680
19/01/2012-->MGMAT 690
26/01/2012 MGMAT 710

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 28
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 22:54
Abhishek14 wrote:
I gave GMAT today .. I saw shocker 550 M45/V21 .. Cant believe .. Guys plzz help .. I am not able to figure out where it went wrng...


Abhishek,
Where and when did you give your exam? Are you by any chance the same abhishek who gave in Pune on Oct 21st? I could not talk to that abhishek after my exam as he left early and forgot his jacket in my locker
_________________

Quant700-800(PS+DS)with solutions


17/11/2011-->Kaplan Diagnostic Free Test 680
19/01/2012-->MGMAT 690
26/01/2012 MGMAT 710

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 358
Location: United States (WI)
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 35

Re: 710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 14:29
satishchandraaily wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for your analysis on my test.
I dont know whether i have misread your post or not. But I want to clarify that I did finish off my test. I left no question unanswered.
My Questions are-
How is it treated answering questions in a row same option as same as leaving questions unasnwered?
It could happen that I read all last three and thought answer should be 'D' in a row. I may be wrong for any question. But does the program think I guessed and treat those questions as unanswered ones?
It's hard to believe and accept this as true mate.

However, I still feel spending equal time on all questions and managing time properly is great strategy. I will work upon it.

Also do you think any particular day can have its effect on scores? If majority of top scorers give exam on same day?


Well nobody knows precisely how the algorithm works, I was just giving a possible guess as to why your would score so low. Also seven questions is a good chunk of the verbal, and after each subsequent incorrect answer, the test gives an easier question. So the last few questions you answered D on were likely low level questions and could have caused a large drop in your score.

As far as a particular day having an effect on your test - no I don't think so. The reason being that your scores are given as a percentile compared to the last 3 years of test takers, so you aren't only being compared to those who sit for the test the same day as you. BUT the day surely can have an effect on you - if you are tired, nervous etc, you may perform more poorly than you would in a different setting. So in that regard your scores will probably fluctuate from day to day.
Re: 710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2011, 14:29
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
GMAT - July 14th or 21st .... Would like feedback BudFox10 1 22 Jun 2012, 07:57
GMAT Prep 640 - Morale boosting needed (GMAT on June 21st) shaneforu 3 31 May 2010, 16:07
1 470 in gmatPrep and 540 in powerprep!!!! Samarg 7 31 Dec 2008, 10:31
GMAT on Monday July 21st grems 3 17 Jul 2008, 10:28
I am giving the GMAT on Nov 21st, Wed gluon 3 19 Nov 2007, 11:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

710 in Gmatprep but 540 on GMAT day-OCT 21st 2011

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Moderators: TGC, m3equals333



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.