Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 - low quant. Big Issue?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

710 - low quant. Big Issue? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 13:00
Hi all,

Just left the test Center. 42/45 split. I couldnt calm my nerves throughout the damn quant and basically bombed it. Do you guys think a retake is worth it?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 124

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 10

Re: 710 - low quant. Big Issue? [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 16:40
Expert's post
It really depends on what you need your GMAT score to demonstrate. Obviously you have a great score, but if you are using it to demonstrate your quant skills to a highly selective school, you might consider retaking. If you have a strong quant background, you can probably relax and figure that your GMAT score indicates strong overall intellectual ability. In any case, a 42 is not what most people would call a bomb. If you were scoring significantly higher at home, a retake might be in order, but you'd have to make sure that your quant & verbal didn't simply flip-flop.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4783 [0], given: 163

Re: 710 - low quant. Big Issue? [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 23:22
Expert's post
amonsa wrote:
Hi all,

Just left the test Center. 42/45 split. I couldnt calm my nerves throughout the damn quant and basically bombed it. Do you guys think a retake is worth it?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Most top schools require you to have strong Quant fundamentals. Q42 is fine and says that your basics are in place, even if you are not a Math star. But it would really help if you can demonstrate your Quantitative aptitude through high scores in quant classes in college or high scores in extra Quant based courses or any professional experience in which you use analytical/quantitative skills. If none of these are available, a retake might be a good strategy provided you don't ignore Verbal. Aim for Q48+ and V45.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: 710 - low quant. Big Issue? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 07:04
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
amonsa wrote:
Hi all,

Most top schools require you to have strong Quant fundamentals. Q42 is fine and says that your basics are in place, even if you are not a Math star. But it would really help if you can demonstrate your Quantitative aptitude through high scores in quant classes in college or high scores in extra Quant based courses or any professional experience in which you use analytical/quantitative skills. If none of these are available, a retake might be a good strategy provided you don't ignore Verbal. Aim for Q48+ and V45.

Thanks for your feedback Karishma. I don't have a Quant background (Social Sciencies major) and haven't really done any extensive quantitative work in my current carreer - that's why I'm a little worried that schools are going to take my non-stellar quant negatively. I had a very short time to prepare for the GMAT (1 month) and I do feel I could improve my score. However, I'm looking to apply for the fall semester and don't have time to take the test again; I would have to push back my application until next year. I have a 3.8 GPA, interesting background (will make for good essays), and will have strong rec letters, but I don't know how much the Quant score is going to pull me back.

P.S. Your blog is awesome and was extremely helpful during my studying. Keep it up!

Dmitry - thanks for the feedback. Let me know your thoughts about the above.

Thanks!!
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 710 - low quant. Big Issue? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 09:55
amonsa wrote:
amonsa wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback Karishma. I don't have a Quant background (Social Sciencies major) and haven't really done any extensive quantitative work in my current carreer - that's why I'm a little worried that schools are going to take my non-stellar quant negatively. I had a very short time to prepare for the GMAT (1 month) and I do feel I could improve my score. However, I'm looking to apply for the fall semester and don't have time to take the test again; I would have to push back my application until next year. I have a 3.8 GPA, interesting background (will make for good essays), and will have strong rec letters, but I don't know how much the Quant score is going to pull me back.

P.S. Your blog is awesome and was extremely helpful during my studying. Keep it up!

Thanks!!

What are your target schools (you're running out of time)?

I see anderson listed on your profile. I'd say go for it, if you have a great profile and an interesting story they may overlook the quant... But if you don't get in you'll have a good idea why. Then you can re-take the test and try again next year.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: 710 - low quant. Big Issue? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 13:43
Thanks Highwyre! Yeah, Anderson is my top choice.
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4783 [0], given: 163

Re: 710 - low quant. Big Issue? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 19:27
Expert's post
amonsa wrote:

Thanks!!

If the rest of your application is strong, the adcom might overlook your Quant score. Make your essays very interesting - it's not just what you have to write about, it's also how you write it.
As an added measure, if the timelines match up, you can enroll for a short calculus/statistics/accounting course in your local college or take an online course. If you are able to write that currently you are taking so and so Quant based course, it could mitigate your relatively lower Quant score. (An admissions consultant could give you more ideas.)

Wishing you the best in your application!

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 181

Re: 710 - low quant. Big Issue? [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 15:19
How about high school maths score ? I achieved the full mark in my final exam 13 years ago ,in case I did not get a good Quant score will this make up for that? I am a pharmacist , aiming at Desautels , McGill.

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 4783 [1] , given: 163

Re: 710 - low quant. Big Issue? [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 19:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TheNona wrote:
How about high school maths score ? I achieved the full mark in my final exam 13 years ago ,in case I did not get a good Quant score will this make up for that? I am a pharmacist , aiming at Desautels , McGill.

Not very much. Too much time has passed since high school. College Quant courses add value - schools courses, not so much. The only thing good school scores tell about you is that you have been a consistent performer.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 181

Re: 710 - low quant. Big Issue? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 14:37
TheNona wrote:

Not very much. Too much time has passed since high school. College Quant courses add value - schools courses, not so much. The only thing good school scores tell about you is that you have been a consistent performer.

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

Re: 710 - low quant. Big Issue?   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2013, 14:37