Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 ( Q: 47, V : 40 )

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

710 ( Q: 47, V : 40 ) [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2005, 21:31
Hi,

I was not a very active participant on the forum, but I learnt a lot from all of you on the approach to use for the preperations. Thanks for all your help.

As for my score, this score is a second time score ( I got 680 Q : 49 and V: 35 ). I beleived I could do better on verbal so I decided to retake it and I wanted a 700+ score. While I am satisfied with my score I am not particularly happy that I slipped on the quant section this time, however I am going to go ahead and apply with this score.

In this post, I'll just concentrate on how I improved my verbal score coz thats what really bothered me. The first time around, I did all the OG, Kaplan and PR practice. But I was always terribly slow with the CRs and RCs. As a result of it I was always trying hurry up without understanding the questions properly. As a result on test day the first time, I was terribly short of time and could not do justice to the last 10 questions.
In order to correct this the second time around, I read up a book on speed reading : How to read better and faster (by Norman Lewis ). This book was very helpful and atleast doubled my speed. I would therefore suggest to anyone who has problems with verbal, to first identify if you are reading quick enough, if not read this book.
Also the second time around, I practiced more LSAT RCs and CRs. I also did questions from 1000 SC questions set which is available on this and other forums. I also went through a verbal Idioms list , which I found on another fourm. I am attaching that document here incase some of you dont have it. (This document actually has the verbal strategies for all 3 types, but do go through the Idioms part in the SC section ).

This was my 2p on prepping. Hope I was of some help.

Again, I'd like to thank all the people on this great forum and special thanks to people who maintain this forum so well.

Cheers,
Karthik.
Attachments

File comment: Verbal Notes (particularly helpful for SC )
GMAT_Verbal_Notes_By_Sumit.doc [473 KiB]
Downloaded 122 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2005, 21:42
thanks to you for sharing and congrats on your nice score~!!! ^_^
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2005, 22:28
Congratulations!!!

In reference to the speed reading book u referred to: How long did it take to read and more importantly, how long after did you notice an increase in your reading speed. It takes me a while to read RCs and some CRs; I sometimes have to read the same line or sentence over and over for it to make sense. Would u recommend it?

Also, how beneficial did you find practicing LSAT RCs and CRs

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 20:57
Congrats on a great score!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 00:24
thanks for all the wishes.

yb,
With regard to the speed reading book. It took me about 10 days to read the book at a leisurely pace. In my case the results were evident almost immedietly, but the pace( doubling ) gradually improved with practice.
The book teaches how to read fast and yet comprehend properly. But obviously in our case, for the CRs it is important to read carefully. So although the book teaches you how to read quickly, in the case of CRs it is important to slow down a bit.

In short, I would reccomend that you read it, if you have another months time left before the test.

Hope that helped
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 02:33
Quote:
..In short, I would reccomend that you read it, if you have another months time left before the test. ..

Oh..and read it fast...after all, it is a book on speed reading !! Don't take 10 days (duh!!) as Kartik did.... :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 09:58
haha thanks
  [#permalink] 26 Oct 2005, 09:58