Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 (Q-50, V-35) - finally done

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

710 (Q-50, V-35) - finally done [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 23:36
Finally I took GMAT today after six months of on and off preparation going through job hunt and switching job in between.

Score is 710 (Q-50, V-35).

This forum was really helpful to me. I thank everyone who has contributed to discussions especially in verbal forum.

Overall, my verbal score was way below than what i was getting in GMAT Prep and other practice tests.

Anyway, I am only planning to apply to part-time programs in bayarea. I think this score should be competitive enough(except uc-berkley?), otherwise I will consider taking GMAT again.

Here are some random thoughts, i hope, will be useful to someone and help avoid the mistakes i did.

- Even if you have strong maths background, it takes good practice to reach a level of 49-50.
Gmat math is really tricky and every question tries to fool you.

Out of all the material I used(including kaplan, princeton, 800score), apart from the OG, the one closest to the actual gmat math questions was the GMAT Sets. (if you are wondering what are GMAT Sets, they are compilations with each set having 37 or less questions which supposedly appeared on actual exam. you can download these sets from esnips.com by searching for 'GMAT Sets').
These sets are excellent material to practice under timed conditions.

Even the verbal sets are good, but some of the answers are wrong. Anyway, you can discuss them on this forum.

- From my verbal score, i am really not well qualified to make any suggestions. But anyway, i will make one suggestion.
If you are looking for really good CR and RC practice questions apart from OG, you can take a look at the LSAT Preptest books(10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests).

[p.s: I don't know how much this actually helps for the GMAT, there is an interesting podcast(named 'LSAT Logic in Everyday life' from princeton review), which applies CR logic to analyze current events.]

- do the 1st GmatPrep exam early in your preparation to identify weak areas early. I was overconfident of quant until i was stumped by the questions(especially number properties DS ones) in the GmatPrep1. Practicing math Sets 21-30 in the last two weeks, really helped improve my quant score.

- This may sound like a very basic thing. It really dragged my verbal score.
I booked the exam at 8 am since morning time usually works best for me. But, it bite me in another way. I am so used to late nights-late mornings cycle that i couldn't sleep till late night though i went to bed at 9.30pm and only got few hours of sleep since i had to get up at 6 am.

Because of this, by the time i reached verbal section, really started running out of gas and bombed some RCs.
In retrospect, i should have booked the exam in the evening so that i could have got enough sleep or atleast should have tried to change my sleep cycle to get up early.

Last year, i drove continuously for 7 hrs without any fatigue with just 2 hrs of sleep the night before. I didn't realize myself until i saw the result today, how much lack of sleep can affect your thinking in an intensive exam like GMAT.

My prep scores were
GmatPrep1: 760 (Q-49, V-42) [1 month before]
GmatPrep2: 740 (Q-49, V-40) [1 week before]

I wish i had got atleast 38 on the verbal. Even i got better verbal score in some of the Kaplan tests.

Anyway, it is time to move on and take care of other things in life.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 23:52
Congrats on your great score ! :D :)...

As u said, if u need more, u could always take it again...your practice scores show that u have rooms for a jump of 30 + at least :)

Good Luck ! :D :)
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 06:54
whatever you decide, the bottom line is, you have an excellent score!
well done!

I wonder if being around so many 700+ ers help me to achieve the same :lol:
  [#permalink] 29 Aug 2007, 06:54