Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 03:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 (q44,v42) GMAT for Insead and LBS

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

710 (q44,v42) GMAT for Insead and LBS [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 14:41
Hi,

I would like to have your opinion on my profile and gmat score to apply for an MBA at Insead or at London Business School.

I am a 25 years old management consultant for a top firm in Europe and Americas with 3 years of experience, which is a good time to start applying by this industry standards.

I am Portuguese but worked for the Madrid office and now for the Sao Paulo office, I had projects in Spain, Portugal and Brazil). I studied one year abroad and went to Mozambique for 5 months for volunteering in a microcredit program after my graduation. I studied Economics with good grades on math and have a master of science in management.

I got a 710 gmat (q44,v42) last month in my first attempt, do you think it is enough for the schools I'm targeting?

Thank you very much and best regards,

Francisco
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 1

Re: 710 (q44,v42) GMAT for Insead and LBS [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 23:44
Hi,

Sounds like you have great work & international experiences, and solid GMAT score for your first attempt. If your previous grades were really good, then you should be competitive for these two schools. What would you like to do after business school, and in the long-term? Make sure you demonstrate transferrable skills to succeed in your career goals, and understand your fit w these schools would be important.

Best of luck!

Christine Lin, Principal
Marvel Admissions

franciscovazgarcia wrote:
Hi,

I would like to have your opinion on my profile and gmat score to apply for an MBA at Insead or at London Business School.

I am a 25 years old management consultant for a top firm in Europe and Americas with 3 years of experience, which is a good time to start applying by this industry standards.

I am Portuguese but worked for the Madrid office and now for the Sao Paulo office, I had projects in Spain, Portugal and Brazil). I studied one year abroad and went to Mozambique for 5 months for volunteering in a microcredit program after my graduation. I studied Economics with good grades on math and have a master of science in management.

I got a 710 gmat (q44,v42) last month in my first attempt, do you think it is enough for the schools I'm targeting?

Francisco

Christine Lin | Marvel Admissions
Marvel Admissions Website | Marvel Admissions Blog

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: 710 (q44,v42) GMAT for Insead and LBS [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 01:33
Hi,

Francisco

Sorry but I got 710 as well, byt Q 46 and V 42. How is it possible?
Thanks
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 6

Re: 710 (q44,v42) GMAT for Insead and LBS [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 01:43
Hi,

You have a good profile and your experiences are also impressive. You have a good chance of getting an admit. However it all depends on how you write your essays and explain your profile to the ADCOM.

I think good essays should definitely help you get through. Guess this will help http://goo.gl/eqhSk3

Cheers!!

Neha

Hi,

Francisco

Best Wishes
Neha Singh
Get personalized MBA Application Consulting
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Click here to look at some of the Testimonials for our awesome work

Try our GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 2

Re: 710 (q44,v42) GMAT for Insead and LBS [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 06:51
Expert's post
Hi Francisco,

You're definitely right - this is the perfect time to start thinking about an MBA. After 3 - 4 years in consulting, the right next step can take a few different forms but an MBA is definitely one of the more appealing ones! You have a strong professional footprint so let's talk about your GMAT question.

Let me answer your question with a series of potential scenarios. That way, you can figure out which one you fall into. If you'd like to share more info or have any other questions, I'm happy to help!

Scenario 1 - Stellar GPA, 710: this gives you a strong academic component. If you went to a prestige institution, that helps even more. Overall, this tips the scales slightly in your favor.

Scenario 2 - Ok GPA, 710: Essentially, this washes out your academic profile. It won't hold you back, but it won't help you either. Balanced.

Scenario 3 - Poor GPA, 710: The 710 helps offset the poor GPA but overall, it doesn't wipe the slate clean. This leaves you with a slight negative tilt.

So I'm not sure where you stand in there. I think if you're looking to apply in R1/early next year, you should definitely retake the GMAT. Not because you absolutely have to, but because it might really help make your academic profile a differentiator. Remember, rankings are at stake here so if you can get a 740, why not give it a shot?

But once again, it's not a need. A 710 puts you in play and at the median range for both of those programs!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 (q44,v42) GMAT for Insead and LBS [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 06:59
Dear Bhavik,

Thank you very much for your answer. I think I fit more on the second scenario.

Actually I am planning to submit my application by mid march and I am very busy until then making the hypothesis of retaking the GMAT vary unprovable. I'll consider it if I do not get accepted.

Thanks again and regards,

Francisco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 2

Re: 710 (q44,v42) GMAT for Insead and LBS [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 08:45
Expert's post
Sounds great and you're quite welcome. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions and how things go!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: 710 (q44,v42) GMAT for Insead and LBS   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2014, 08:45