Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 (Q46, V41)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 19

710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
Well, I'm incredibly excited to finally be done with the GMAT! I'm not sure how much I'll be able to add, but below are some thoughts.

I took a diagnostic GMAT back in May and scored somewhere around 550. Thus began the search for how to study for the GMAT. That's when I found this site.

I browsed a number of different topics on the forum and found a bunch of GMAT study tips and GMAT experience topics. I highly recommend browsing the forum as it contains a lot of good information.

THE BOOKS

The Kaplan Premier book is good for basics, but I am almost positive that I would not have been able to get the score I did by only using this book. I read the whole book and did all the problems.

The OG quant narratives are ok, but the verbal narratives are pretty much worthless.

The Manhattan GMAT series is worth its weight in gold. It's been said over and over on this forum and for good reason - if you want to score in the 700s on this test, buy all the books. It's expensive, but cheaper than paying to take the GMAT twice. I noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement after going through all the MGMAT books. I did almost all the problems in the books and almost all the problems in the OG, OG Quant, and OG Verbal books (I ran out of time near the end).

PRACTICE TESTS

I only took one full-length test, one of the GMAT prep tests, 3 days before the test (not the recommended approach). I scored a 720 with a high verbal score and a low quant score. This test was a good example of what the real exam was like; I highly recommend downloading and using these exams.

I also took a couple of the GMAT Club math tests, which were excellent. Unfortunately, I didn't plan my time well enough to take all of them.

FLASH CARDS

One thing that I think helped me tremendously was creating flash cards. This was mainly for quant - I wrote a number of concepts and formulas on these cards that were recommended by the books or that seemed important. I kept these in my work bag and on my way to work I would flip through the flash cards. This helped get some concepts and formulas into my head that I otherwise wouldn't have had time to learn as well.

DAY BEFORE TEST

I luckily had the day before the test off work. I studied in the morning, until about noon; went over some stuff about which I wasn't entirely comfortable. And then I took the rest of the afternoon/evening off. I read, watched TV, went out to lunch, cooked myself a simple dinner, and got everything ready for the next day. Most importantly, I went to bed early.

TEST DAY

I woke up with plenty of time to spare for my morning routine. Breakfast was a banana, egg and cheese on a bagel, and an Odwalla fruit juice. I highly recommend protein the morning of the test. I brought trail mix and water with me for during the breaks. My test was at 8 am; I got to the center at 7:30 am. I'm very glad I did because there were a lot of people there and I think I would have been nervous had I showed up late and seen all the people waiting.

A recommendation for the breaks: there's a pop-up window that comes up and asks if you want to take your break. Raise your hand first and don't click on the Yes button until the attendant comes over to you. Time starts as soon as you click the button, but sometimes it takes up to a minute for the attendant to let you out of the room.

In general, time was my biggest issue for my practice tests and the actual exam. I did all of my studying and practice problems completely untimed, which I think was fine, but I do wish I would have spent a little more time working problems faster. This was only an issue for quant.

BOTTOM LINE RECOMMENDATIONS

- If you're unfamiliar with the GMAT and unsure of your skill level, start with the Kaplan Premier book. It's a good foundation.

- Use the MGMAT books. All of them. If you only have time for some, pick your weakest topics. But seriously, these books are amazing.

- Flash cards. They're a great way to pass the time and to learn concepts and formulas.

- You know how you study. Don't take everybody's advice; rather tailor people's advice to what works best for you.

SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS

When I wasn't able to or just didn't have it in me to study, I always had a book, crossword puzzle, or sudoku puzzle to work on. It kept my mind fresh and thinking.

The Manhattan GMAT sells the GMAT test simulation booklet. I only used it for the practice tests, but it was good practice and ensured that I wasn't completely caught off guard the day of the test.

Eat well, sleep well, and maintain a small semblance of a life while you're studying. Yes, of course it's important to devote a good chunk of your time to studying. And I'm not advising to go out every night. But give yourself one night a week to go to dinner with friends or go dancing or play volleyball, or something to maintain your sanity.

Alright, that was a bit longer than I would have hoped, sorry for the length of the post. I hope that some of my thoughts above can help some of you who are still studying.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 50

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 22:05
Congrats for your score. Good luck with your application process.

Quote:
A recommendation for the breaks: there's a pop-up window that comes up and asks if you want to take your break. Raise your hand first and don't click on the Yes button until the attendant comes over to you. Time starts as soon as you click the button, but sometimes it takes up to a minute for the attendant to let you out of the room.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Such small things matters a lot on the D-day :-D

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 33

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 23:08
Congrats for your score. Good luck with your application process.

Can you please share your flash cards? These will be very much helpful..

RC videos rc-through-videos-99566.html
CR videos cr-through-videos-99033.html
SC videos sc-through-videos-98340.html
Quant videos quant-through-videos-102525.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 08:32
kissthegmat wrote:
Can you please share your flash cards? These will be very much helpful..

Unfortunately all of my flash cards are hand written. I wanted to type them out, but the index card paper on which you can print was more expensive than I was willing to dish out. So, I will try to transfer them as I find time and then share, I just can't promise how soon I can get these together.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 26

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 08:46
Can you scan your flashcards as an image file? Not all of them as we have different weaknesses but a few just to get a hang of how you lay them out.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 08:52
Congratulation!!! So amazing to score from 550 to 710, how long did u spend on your study?
Besides, any recommendations for the verbal part? I cant beat over 35...should I read the MGMAT Books? I have all of them. or should I do more practices instead...I have about two weeks...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 09:55
Hi Congrats!!!

a gr8 jump from 550 to 710. can u please let me know wat was ur split u for 550 ?

how difficult was the real GMAT wen compared to OG esp if you can share the details of Verbal. am really worried abt RC, CR and SC as well. my accuracy has improved in all the sections. but i am still unclear as the real Verbal in GMAT test will be same as OG standard or more than that. if you can share section wise, how difficult it was w.r.t RC, CR and SC,it will be really useful.

thanx in advance...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 00:28
cheers man !!!

good luck and thanx for sharing
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, HEC, Said
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 28

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 00:41
Congrats and best luck for the admission process
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 05:28
Congrats and good luck for your apps...

And nice and simple debrief...

If you like my post, please press Kudos+1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 05:44
emissi wrote:
Congratulation!!! So amazing to score from 550 to 710, how long did u spend on your study?
Besides, any recommendations for the verbal part? I cant beat over 35...should I read the MGMAT Books? I have all of them. or should I do more practices instead...I have about two weeks...

I started studying in June, so about 4 months, although there were a few breaks here and there. I brought my books pretty much everywhere I went. I studied on planes and trains, over dinner, waiting for my soccer game to start. It all adds up.

There are a few things that really helped with my verbal score:

- The MGMAT books are excellent. They talk about the T diagram for the CR questions and this really helped. Also their recommendations for the RC questions on how to take notes were really helpful. If you're not a native English speaker, I highly recommend going through the SC book. Even as a native English speaker there were things that I learned.

- I write a lot of reports at work and I'm very particular about grammar and spelling, so a lot of what is covered is stuff that I'm in tune with already.

- I love to read and I always have a book with me. I also love to work crossword puzzles. So having been working on these two for a while, that's helped as well.

I realize the last two points won't necessarily help you with two weeks to go, so I would focus on the MGMAT books and work as many problems as you can.

srivicool wrote:
a gr8 jump from 550 to 710. can u please let me know wat was ur split u for 550 ?

how difficult was the real GMAT wen compared to OG esp if you can share the details of Verbal. am really worried abt RC, CR and SC as well. my accuracy has improved in all the sections. but i am still unclear as the real Verbal in GMAT test will be same as OG standard or more than that. if you can share section wise, how difficult it was w.r.t RC, CR and SC,it will be really useful.

As for my diagnostic exam, at that point I was still pretty clueless about the GMAT and didn't know that you got split scores. What I have written down is a 34 for quant and a 23 for verbal, but not sure if that makes sense. The diagnostic was taken on Crack GMAT; as a caveat, I've heard this isn't the greatest diagnostic tool, so you might want to take that diagnostic score with a grain of salt.

As for how the real GMAT related to the OG, I would say that overall the questions ranged from relatively comparable to slightly more difficult. I probably struggled the most with the RC questions. I felt relatively confident with the SC and CR questions. Unfortunately I have a habit of wiping my mind pretty clean after an exam, so I'm struggling a bit with remembering what the questions were like.

PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
Can you scan your flashcards as an image file? Not all of them as we have different weaknesses but a few just to get a hang of how you lay them out.

I tried scanning them at home, but the files were huge. So I'm going to try to scan them into a pdf at work and hope that the file sizes are a bit more manageable.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 07:39
Cheers man your in the super elite group of 700+

loved your debrief ...:)

keep updating

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 10:18
thanks for the info......
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 37

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 10:30
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Navy
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE: Underwriter (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 19:29
Congrats on the great score. It seems like you weren't a math wizard either, but you made it with a good quant score and pushed it over the top with your verbal. I'm studying the MGMAT books right now, and am still not too confident when it comes to quant, but I'm sure it just takes time. Good luck with your applications!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: 710 (Q46, V41) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 07:01
Congrats..!!!
Re: 710 (Q46, V41)   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2010, 07:01