Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 (Q49 and V38)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: IMD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

710 (Q49 and V38) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hello All,

I just finished GMAT and scored 710 (Q49 and V38). I want to take a moment to say my thanks to you all. I certainly have learned a lot from this forum. And hopefully will leverage it for admissions too. GMAT Question of the Day was fun and useful. I used to start my day with it.

Some of my background info: I am a non-native speaker and from India. Like most of the Indians, I too am not so comfortable with Verbal section. My quant in CATs has always been consistent around 48-49. On the other hand Verbal started at 30. Then I gradually saw progress especially with the SCs. For me, CR was the easiest part in Verbal section. I am sure it might have saved me in the real exam too.

My training material:
Official Guide
Verbal Review
Quant Review
Manhattan GMAT books (the famous 8 books set)
and last but not the least, this forum.

Despite the huge emphasis that everybody put on the importance of Official Guide, I couldn't finish it completely. But in the last 2 days before the exam, I did some SCs from it as I realized that's my weakest part. Once again, I underscore the importance of Official Guide and Quant and Verbal Reviews. It's better NOT to use any additional material until you finish those three books.

Don't unnecessarily overwhelm yourselves with a lot of material (books or online). I have bought a lot of them like Kaplan Premier, PowerScore in addition to Official Guide and Manhattan. I ended up NOT using most of them. My order of preference would be Official Guide, Verbal Guide, Quant Guide, Manhattan books for review of the concepts.

BTW, I almost forgot. I also bought a bunch of Grammar books too. One of them is GMAT Grammar book GMAT Club. Even though I couldn't go through it completely, I got a chance read a couple of pages. It seems useful. Especially if you don't want to learn anything that's NOT so important to the exam, this would be the one for you.

A couple of things about different CATs I took. I took 3 or 4 Manhattan GMAT tests and 1 Kaplan in addition to the 2 GMATPrep tests. As everyone agrees GMATPrep is the closest to the actual exam. Next best is Manhattan GMAT. I felt Manhattan GMAT Quant is more difficult (with a lot of time consuming calculations etc) than the real exam. I felt, Manhattan CATs focus more on Geometry than real exam does. Verbal of Manhattan, somehow I felt, was NOT close to the real exam. I was doing better in Verbal part of Manhattan tests and 4 days before the exam, when I took the GMATPrep CAT2, I suddenly did very bad in it. So I started doing OG SCs only in the last 3 days before the exam. Kaplan CAT I felt so easy that I got the suspicion that it's of little use to me. However, their scoring algorithm compensate the less difficulty part with a more restricted algorithm I suppose. If I could do equal number of questions right on other CATs the score would have been 30-40 more than I got in KAPLAN test. But I felt if the questions don't reflect the real exam questions it would be little help to do those tests unless you have a plenty of time for preparation.

If I can be of help to any of you, I would be happy to answer your questions. See you all in admissions board of the forum.

Last edited by pisupat on 25 Sep 2011, 12:11, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 710 (Q49 and V38) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 12:46
Expert's post
Thanks for the debrief and congrats on your score! I do, though, want to emphasize two points that you made.

pisupat wrote:
I underscore the importance of Official Guide and Quant and Verbal Reviews. It's better NOT to use any additional material until you finish those three books.

Excellent advice. The OG series, while perhaps not sufficient in some cases, is an essential ingredient in one's preparation.

pisupat wrote:
Don't unnecessarily overwhelm yourselves with a lot of material

Again, good observation. So many - myself included - probably go overboard with this. It's much better to choose the right tools and just stick with those.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 710 (Q49 and V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 05:41
wow congrats! How was your RC accuracy from the beginning of your prep?

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 (Q49 and V38) [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 19:21
Thank you all for your wishes. My RC accuracy was good too. When I started preparing concentration was the main problem. As I have the habit of reading the complex sentences twice to understand, I had to get back to that mode at the cost of time. Initially I pushed myself to the limits with the pace. But that didn't help me. I have even bought and read a book on how to improve the pace while improving the comprehension. However, I think I should have done it a year before the exam. After all these attempts, I realized that I need to get back to the pace at which I am comfortable to grab the content. And it helped. The last 3 CATs that I took, I did 1 or 2 questions wrong in both RCs and CRs. On the other hand SCs were the drag. At best I was able to answer 50% of the SCs correct in any CAT.
Intern
Intern

Re: 710 (Q49 and V38) [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 19:34
A couple of things about different CATs I took. I took 3 or 4 Manhattan GMAT tests and 1 Kaplan in addition to the 2 GMATPrep tests. As everyone agrees GMATPrep is the closest to the actual exam. Next best is Manhattan GMAT. I felt Manhattan GMAT Quant is more difficult (with a lot of time consuming calculations etc) than the real exam. I felt, Manhattan CATs focus more on Geometry than real exam does. Verbal of Manhattan, somehow I felt, was NOT close to the real exam. I was doing better in Verbal part of Manhattan tests and 4 days before the exam, when I took the GMATPrep CAT2, I suddenly did very bad in it. So I started doing OG SCs only in the last 3 days before the exam. Kaplan CAT I felt so easy that I got the suspicion that it's of little use to me. However, their scoring algorithm compensate the less difficulty part with a more restricted algorithm I suppose. If I could do equal number of questions right on other CATs the score would have been 30-40 more than I got in KAPLAN test. But I felt if the questions don't reflect the real exam questions it would be little help to do those tests unless you have a plenty of time for preparation.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: 710 (Q49 and V38) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 23:16
congrats!
Intern
Intern

Re: 710 (Q49 and V38) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 08:56
Thanks, Puneet.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: 710 (Q49 and V38) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 18:30
Congrats!!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 710 (Q49 and V38) [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 01:33
pisupat wrote:
Hello All,

I just finished GMAT and scored 710 (Q49 and V38). I want to take a moment to say my thanks to you all. I certainly have learned a lot from this forum. And hopefully will leverage it for admissions too. GMAT Question of the Day was fun and useful. I used to start my day with it.

Some of my background info: I am a non-native speaker and from India. Like most of the Indians, I too am not so comfortable with Verbal section. My quant in CATs has always been consistent around 48-49. On the other hand Verbal started at 30. Then I gradually saw progress especially with the SCs. For me, CR was the easiest part in Verbal section. I am sure it might have saved me in the real exam too.

My training material:
Official Guide
Verbal Review
Quant Review
Manhattan GMAT books (the famous 8 books set)
and last but not the least, this forum.

Despite the huge emphasis that everybody put on the importance of Official Guide, I couldn't finish it completely. But in the last 2 days before the exam, I did some SCs from it as I realized that's my weakest part. Once again, I underscore the importance of Official Guide and Quant and Verbal Reviews. It's better NOT to use any additional material until you finish those three books.

Don't unnecessarily overwhelm yourselves with a lot of material (books or online). I have bought a lot of them like Kaplan Premier, PowerScore in addition to Official Guide and Manhattan. I ended up NOT using most of them. My order of preference would be Official Guide, Verbal Guide, Quant Guide, Manhattan books for review of the concepts.

BTW, I almost forgot. I also bought a bunch of Grammar books too. One of them is GMAT Grammar book GMAT Club. Even though I couldn't go through it completely, I got a chance read a couple of pages. It seems useful. Especially if you don't want to learn anything that's NOT so important to the exam, this would be the one for you.

If I can be of help to any of you, I would be happy to answer your questions. See you all in admissions board of the forum.

Thanks and Regards,
Krishna Pisupat

A good score , All the best for application

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: 710 (Q49 and V38) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 06:32
Congratulation!
enjoy your score! :!: