Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710...Q49 V 37

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

710...Q49 V 37 [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2004, 09:49
Hello All,

I took the test today and scored a 710.
Although I was shooting for 750+, i'm still very happy about the score, esp. after the way the test went!
I will post in detail about my preparation later.
I want to immensely thank this club. I was really inspired by stories of many on this board. Special thanks to Aspire, who was a role model for me.

Happy to be a part of the 700+ club :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2004, 10:11
Congratulations on your great score! :beer

Goodluck with your apps. :gl
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2004, 10:16
Thanks Gayathri!
I have to say I benefitted a lot from the questions that you posted on this forum.
I hope you land with a stellar score !
Good luck on your test.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2004, 11:06
mbahope wrote:
Thanks Gayathri!
I have to say I benefitted a lot from the questions that you posted on this forum.
I hope you land with a stellar score !
Good luck on your test.

mbahope, thanks for your wishes. I am glad that you found the questions useful. I can now say that in my own way I was able to help a member of 700+ club :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2004, 13:40
Congratulation on your great achievement mbahope! I Wish you all the best for you applications! :woohoo

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2004, 15:27
CONGRAT!!!

Tell us about your experience on the test. Anything similar to what you learned?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2004, 06:01
Hello All,

Sorry for the delay, but I was almost drowned in work since my test was over.

My profile: Mechanical engineer, originally from India, currently working full time in Michigan.
Total study hours: abt 1.5 hrs everyday on weekdays and 5/6 hours on weekends.

Practice test scores:

PP1 (without OG): 680
PP2: did not take!
PR1 670
PR3 680
PR4 680
Kap1 620
Kap2 620

These scores mean zilch!! ETS questions are a type of their own, so only use these tests for practising your timing. In fact actual test is a totally different animal. If you can keep your nerves throughout those testing 4 hours, you will get not just good but stellar (>750) scores.

My preparation:

Very very thorough study of the OG. In fact I did not solve PP2 because I knew my scores would be not true indicators of my scoring range since I'd remember answer to most of the questions. I highly recommend solving BOTH PP1 and PP2 before even touching OG.

My preparation was in the form of 'mini tests' which I used to prepare for myself, mostly for the verbal section, by taking about 15 questions
from SC, 12 from RC and 14 from CR and solving them under timed conditions. Also, in last 2/3 weeks I solved about 2/3 RC passages daily, again under timed conditions! I was very good in SC and RC but had to work real hard for CR. I would highly recommend the LSAT CR problems for practice. They are basically ETS questions so they are more 'authentic'. Believe me; PR and Kaplan don’t come anywhere as close!

This forum was a great resource too. People like ruhi, gayathri, artabro, NEWKID, qhocoo10, Paul, saurbhmalpani, dookie, venksune, Dan helped me a lot during my preparation directly or indirectly.
I was also very motivated by Aspire2005’ s posts and after he answered some of my specific questions about RC and CR, I knew I was on the right track and above 40 in verbal was not unreachable if I kept my cool.
Overall, I thought my preparation for verbal was excellent and I began to expect about 41-42 for verbal.

Math was always my strong point (or so I thought ). I took the GMAT challenge 11 almost half asleep and still got a good percentile there. So I decided to take Challenge 12 more seriously and did reasonably well. My goal for Math was 51, but I thought I had a good chance of getting a 50.

Test day:

The AWA topics were not so friendly, but I managed to write decent essays. Then started the real test. The math section started with 2 medium difficulty questions. Then the difficulty started increasing. One problem was a word problem that was very complex and almost unsolvable in 2 minutes. I wasted good 4 or 5 min there but did not find the ans that I calculated in the ans. choices!

I lost my tempo there. And that’s where I thought the GMAT got me. I began double checking myself for each and every calculation from there on. Even simple concepts started raising doubts in my mind. I knew I had lost it. But I decided to carry on because I wanted to know my scores at any cost. Plus I thought (!) I was very well prepared for the verbal section and would make up with 41-42 in verbal.

I barely finished my math section in time, took a break and continued with the verbal. First few questions, I was right on time. But I lost my timing again somewhere around question nos. 13 to 20. I saw that I had only 30 minutes left and I had 22 questions to tackle. I lost my cool.
I started rushing through the questions. Till this point I had done very well. I was confident that I must have got almost all questions right so far including the RC. But after question 21, came an RC which was fairly complex. I cracked it too, but lost some time there too. And then came the 2 bold faced questions. They could not have come at a worse time. I decided to guess totally randomly. Not that they were difficult but I simple thought they were not worth my time. I had very few minutes left, was on a tight race with time, and I knew I was better off spending my time on SC which was my forte. So I guessed randomly for next 3/4 CR questions. At the end of the section, I thought I had lost the battle because I guessed on 3 RC questions, about 3 CR questions and abt 2 SC questions.

I think that’s why I got a much lower verbal score than expected.
After I completed the test, I was almost thinking abt cancelling my scores because I had blown up both V and Q. But I knew that I had nothing to lose by knowing the scores. MBA admissions are not just about your GMAT score. Also, how many times you took the test is relatively immaterial. These were my thoughts when I was completing the ETS survey.

After completing the survey, I hit the 'show scores' button almost without any feelings. And 710 popped up on my screen. I was very surprised at both my verbal and quant scores. I thought I would end up at abt 640, even lower than my PP1. I was expecting about 45-47 in Q and 33-35 in V.
So you can imagine how happy I must have been to see a 710.
But this happiness lasted only a few moments. I began to feel that if I had managed my verbal timing properly, I'd be close to 41-42 in verbal and that'd take me to 750. But I think I have to forget about it now and focus on overall applications.

Overall, the test was nothing short of stormy. I would reiterate that keeping your cool is the key.

Please feel free to throw in any questions that you might have. I'll be happy to be of some help to this forum in whatever least way
I can.

Good luck on your test!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2004, 06:49
Congrats....All the best for your apps. :beer

510 on my first GMAT. 610 on second GMAT.!
The struggle continues.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2004, 09:22
Congrats! I am so pleased for you. Your 2 cents on your exam experience is interesting and encouraging! I know it is not the score you hoped for but I am sure you will be able to get into some good business schools.

All the best with your apps!

Now go parteee! :banana :woohoo
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2004, 10:54
Congratulations mbahope!

Your remark on ETS questions being a type of their own is on target. I am hearing a lot that Kaplan (PR and others) do not look much like anything that is real GMAT. To repeat your advice, I think it's best to use them for time management and for learning some few tricks here and there.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2004, 02:30
mbahope, according to your post, you must have guessed at least 8 questions at the end and still got a good score. This motivate me a lot since I know the earlier questions of the test weight lots more than last questions.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2004, 06:58
qhoc,
I think the best strategy would be to solve first 12 questions more carefully.
But dont spend too much time on the middle (13-30) questions.
Had I not guessed on the last 8 or so, I could have been much higher in verbal. I should have rushed through some questions in the 13-30 range, esp in the RC (21-25). Getting some questions wrong there is better than guessing on consecutive 8 last questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2004, 20:25
congrats on the great score mbahope, thanx for sharing the experience and advice. good luck with the apps!
  [#permalink] 08 Dec 2004, 20:25