Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 (Q49, V38)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 3

710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 14:43
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

Thank you, GMATClub's been great help.

Prep
Started a week before Christmas, so tried to utilise the Christmas break to the utmost. Read from the main Kaplan GMAT book and GMAT verbal workbook (based on the post http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-books-77703.html). Not the best but came to learn a little late. Having computer science/finance background, my math was fine so I focused on verbal more. Btw the questions in Kaplan verbal workbook are all repeated in the practice sets that you get with the main Kaplan GMAT book so that was my money wasted. After completing the verbal workbook, I read up on the specific verbal strategies discussed on this forum. The comprehensive bang bang CR guide (http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-guide-100473.html) and Gin's RC strategy (http://gmatclub.com/forum/download/file.php?id=9403) were probably more useful than Kaplan. For math I read up tid bits (is that a word?) from different threads on this forum. The permutation, combinations and probability thread was particularly helpful.

Practice exams that I remember

Kaplan Practice Exam 1: 640
Kaplan Practice Exams 2-4: 580ish
GMATPrep Exam 1: 720
GMATPrep Exam 2: 710
GMATPrep Exam 1 reset: 730

Exam
It was today at 1:15 in Sutton Coldfield, UK. Train got late and I didn't shit myself. First sign that it wasn't really that bad. Managed to reach exam centre 45 mins before. For some reason the palm scan machine was playing up and I had to give 3 scans. Good it didn't know I'm a Muslim otherwise, through sheer will power, it'd have transformed itself into Terminator and squashed me. Then the GMAT software shared the limelight by not working for 15 mins. I had some nuts and a bit of water in the meanwhile.

AWA proved to be a bit more than distraction as I ended up using all the time allotted for it. That precious time which could have been spent in the loo, eating nuts or checking out the fit birds in waiting lounge was wasted typing some arguments about an issue I personally won't even give a second thought to. Such is life.

Took break, took a leak, ate nuts, drank half of red bull and checked out fit birds (they always seemed to be around for some reason).

Quants went alright. Start was not as fast as I'd have liked but I knew that you pick up pace as you go along. about 10 questions down the line, I had to guess one. Then carried on and again one more guess. I always had about 2 mins per question left. Then there was a real tough question third time and I gotta bolt this one down. It was geometry question and spent extra time to solve that. a little later GMAT sent another bad boy and I solved that too (I think...). Had to hurry with last 5 questions and finished on time. Was expecting 50 in quant (I got quant 50 in GMAT Prep 2 and GMAT Prep 1 reset practice exams).

Repeated the same hit formula for break as the first one.

Verbal started with a SC question I wasn't too sure of. Don't know why but I felt more comfortable with CR. First RC wasn't too long. Only two paragraphs. On average I was running at about 1 1/2 mins per question left in verbal. Towards the end it got very tiring. You really need the passion of a rabid Rocky Balboa on steroids to power your way through the final 10 verbal questions (no offence, all the Balboas reading this). Unfortunately in my case the last RC passage was the longest. 3 paragraphs. But from the RC before the last one I had started using my emergency strategy: not to write down anything, read the whole passage and register the structure etc in short term memory. Did it work? I don't know. Score of 38 wasn't the best I had scored in practice exams. But hey, English is not my first language. Not even my second language, or third (if you include C# in the list).

Lessons learned
First, stamina is very critical. Many people are able to solve a lot of difficult GMAT questions when given one at a time, but a bigger challenge lies in solving them after having solved dozens of them. Under real exam conditions this can be even more difficult. One approach that helped me was taking two practice exams in a day. I did this on three days (so 6 practice exams).

Second lesson goes against the generally held perception. On exam day and the day before, if I wasn't studying, I got stressed. So contrary to what most people advise, I had to keep revising till the last minute to avoid stress. Also talking to other people at exam centre helps easing the nerves. Main idea was to remove as many obstacles (psychological as well as real) as possible before taking the exam, so I could give my best shot.

Third, choose the exam time carefully if you've got a choice. 1:15 pm wasn't best suited to me. Like most candidates, I am more comfortable with morning hours. But due to location of exam centre I had to go for afternoon time.

This forum, specially moderators, has been great help and I haven't contributed much. So anyone got any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by HygeinicGangster on 19 Jan 2011, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 355

Kudos [?]: 1732 [0], given: 357

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 16:18
Expert's post
Congrats!!!

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 16:42
congrats
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 22:45
Thanks guys. I'm trying for MSc Finance from London School of Economics. So it's not a full blown MBA. Still don't know if 710 is good enough...
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 476 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 13:44
Expert's post
Congratulations on the excellent score! I agree with you that the last few questions for verbal present a challenge more from fatigue than difficulty level. That is where the points are lost for many. But you excelled. Again, congrats.

And kudos for the post! You spent a good time preparing and I'm sure that others will find it amusing and helpful. But what, in your opinion, are the main lessons you learned while preparing for and taking the GMAT?

I will stronly advise you, though, to put everything you have in the LSE application. Admissions for the MSc Finance program is extremely competitive. You're off to a good start, though. Good luck!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 23:28
bmillan01 wrote:
Congratulations on the excellent score! I agree with you that the last few questions for verbal present a challenge more from fatigue than difficulty level. That is where the points are lost for many. But you excelled. Again, congrats.

And kudos for the post! You spent a good time preparing and I'm sure that others will find it amusing and helpful. But what, in your opinion, are the main lessons you learned while preparing for and taking the GMAT?

I will stronly advise you, though, to put everything you have in the LSE application. Admissions for the MSc Finance program is extremely competitive. You're off to a good start, though. Good luck!

Cheers! Updated the post with lessons learned.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 3

Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 12:35
This post received
KUDOS
prasrush2001 wrote:
Congrats on your score.. I am new to this forum..
can you briefly point out 1. what things in this forum you liked and learned.. 2. which of your practise material was most close to actual gmat exam questions??

Thanks bro. Well I based the prep on this forum. I'll list some of the most important things.

Daily questions email service. So subscribe to it if you haven't already.

Strategy threads for each question type are priceless. They are at top of each section.

Although I didn't use them, GMAT tests (http://gmatclub.com/tests/) are probably one of the most important items on this forum.

Last but not least, you always get timely replies to your queries. If those questions have already been asked then your thread is merged with old questions so you see a lot of replies at once.

Regarding practice material, I used two main sources: Kaplan and GMATPrep. GMATPrep was closer to real exam. Make sure you reset the practice exams as most of the questions won't repeat. Kaplan was more difficult. But that is a good thing in a way. However their software is unnecessarily clumsy. Didn't have time to try any other practice material.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8187 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 13:43
Expert's post
Congratulations - great job!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 18:21
Intern
Intern

Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 23:18
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton..:)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 05:21
congrats man..:)
are you applying to any colleges in US for MS finance?

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Intern
Intern

Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 11:26
akshathbs wrote:
congrats man..:)
are you applying to any colleges in US for MS finance?

No bro just UK. But wouldn't mind cooperating for admit process. PM me if you are interested and going for same degree

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton..:)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 11:33
"That precious time which could have been spent in the loo, eating nuts or checking out the fit birds in waiting lounge was wasted typing some arguments about an issue I personally won't even give a second thought to. Such is life."-
dude this was hilarious ..:)
I have sent u a PM..

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: 710 (Q49, V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 15:40
Awesome score!

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Re: 710 (Q49, V38)   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2011, 15:40