Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 23:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 Q49 V39 AWA5.5

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

710 Q49 V39 AWA5.5 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 21:41
Hey everyone,

Took the GMAT a week ago. Scored a 710 (92nd %ile) Q49 (86th %ile), V39 (87th %ile), AWA 5.5.
Started studying for it 2nd week of March and registered for the exam mid-April.

Okay so I just finished my undergrad and graduated in May. But a lower credit load during my final, spring semester allowed me to begin studying for the GMAT in March. I originally had no idea as to how/where to start, so I started browsing forums looking for answers.

Quickly, I figured out I needed to revamp my knowledge of math basics. Not coming from a quant intensive major, I had to work much more on quant than verbal. I was able to push the 80th%ile in verbal much earlier than in quant.

Some takeaways I feel helped me throughout the process:

- Do not approach the GMAT with the following attitude - "if I put in X hours of studying, I will get X score". I noticed that the amount of time I spent studying had much less to do with my score than the quality/intensity of it. Also, don't worry if you miss a day or two of studying. Go out, relax, take a day off. I noticed many people write that they had no social life while they studied. This approach was not for me. Hanging out with family and friends is a stress reliever for me. Do what works for you.

- Here is one of the biggest things which helped me boost my score. Timed sets. I always saw people stress the importance of this in their debriefs, but never took it seriously until the final month of studying. I had plateaued at 43-44 in Quant during practice tests. I could not figure out why. So I decided to give the whole timed problems a try. It paid off. You might be perfectly fine and comfortable with the content (you might even be a math whiz), but until you have practiced applying your knowledge in 2-3 minutes, it's virtually useless. This literally boosted my score close to 40 points.

- I also followed the notecard strategy. One specific thing regarding SC - memorize the hell out of idioms. It might seem like a lot at first, but I had 2 notecards with only idioms (~20 idioms altogether) on them. For any SC I got incorrect on practice tests because of an idiomatic error, I would jot that idiom down right away. This helps both native and non-native speakers as it's one of the easier things you can fix.

- For quant, I came across "Thursdays with Ron" the final week of my studying. Simply amazing as it equipped me with a huge amount of takeaways. I wish I had found them earlier as I would have practiced much more with strategies he provides.

- I see many users abuse practice tests. Let me put it in the simplest terms - if you are taking more than one practice test/week, you are wasting your time.

- Register for the exam when you feel ready.

Hope this helps.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 Q49 V39 AWA5.5 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 07:55
Good score!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 Q49 V39 AWA5.5 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 03:36
Super! Thanks for the tips.. Especially with the tests..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 Q49 V39 AWA5.5 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 03:46
Congratulations! That's a great score!

~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~

Re: 710 Q49 V39 AWA5.5   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2011, 03:46