Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 11:08
I took the GMAT yesterday (on 27th July) but could not write because I was partying hard.

I have been a part of GMAT club for more than a year. It has been a great learning experience as a member of GMAT club. Thanks to GMAT club, which has definitely contributed to my score.

This is not a stellar score. But I am no genius so happy with whatever it is. I could do this much with my little son (7 months old) around. I could be happier if it were 80-80 split as I have heard that adcoms prefer 80-80 split.

Exam day:
I got the exam scheduled at 9:00 AM on Sunday, July 27th. I was not feeling well (having a fever) as I got caught by viral fever three days back. So I could not study much during final days. The previous night to the G-day, I went to bed early (9 pm) and got up at 6:15 am. Got ready and had a light breakfast and kept a bottle of orange juice and a banana for the exam center.
I reached the exam center quite early and started the test at 8:45am.
Two essays - first (argument) went smooth and the second one went ok...

Took break, went to rest room, splashed some water on face...had some juice and ate half banana to get some energy...

Then came the Quants...first question...was a long PS it took bit long (more than 2 mins) to solve. But I was not in hurry. My strategy was to make first ten questions RIGHT...believe me whatever the GMAT scoring algorithm may be.. but first 10 questions matter a lot for your score.....I have tried this on GMAT Focus and GMAT prep and scored well whenever I did first ten questions correct.
I was not having much problem with the speed. I was very much on the scheduled but last two questions I had 1.5 mins so had to guess the last one. Overall, I was not unhappy with the quants.

After quants, took a break and repeated the same thing as I did in the first break....

Then came the beast...Verbal portion...started with the SC...The same strategy I followed in verbal also - try to make first 10 questions right. Few questions later...RC came... which drove me crazy...I read it twice got nothing substantial out of it...it dragged my confidence down...but never mind...I was ready for the worst..then came a few SCs and CRs..they went smooth...again came a RC, which was worse than the previous..oh my God..I thought I would not get more than 30....these ate up lot of time..and ultimately I had 9 questions and 13 mins left. I knew that I had to guess a few of them...I rushed...and guessed last 3 questions...and left everything to God...Thank God no bold face appeared..I hate them to the core.

After I answered the survey questions..not interestingly...I clicked on the report score...It's started processing...took a few seconds.. I closed up my eyes....and when I opened up eyes....it was 710....oh my GOD...big thanks...I crossed the 700 barrier...I was quite happy....though it may be a mediocre score for some..but I was not tragetting something around 750 or more...
So that's the story of the G-day...

My preparation:
I started serious preparation from Mar 2007 onwards, prepared for 3-4 months. I couldn't continue because of personal reasons. I came back to India in Oct' 2007. My son was born in Dec, 2007. So could not study for 3-4 months....Then I started preparing seriously again from end of Mar 2008 and took GMAT on 27th July, after 4 months of serious preparation.

Quants: I am from engineering back ground so have good maths skills. GMAT club challenges is a good source to learn the tricks and concepts. Last 50 questions from OG11 are good to practice on.

Verbal:
SC: MGMAT SCs guide, Spidey's Notes. Manhattangmatforums. I would strongly recommend 800BOB's (at testmagic forums) explanations to SCs. He is the master of SCs. I used to score good on SCs in practice test (accuracy - 80-85 %)..
CR: I did GMAT CRs Bible from Powerscore and offcourse OGs. I was neither extremely bad nor good at CRs.
RC: I had to struggle with RCs. I hate RCs.

Study materials:
OG11, OG10, Official Quants Guide, Offcial Verbal Guide: They are must have books. I studied them extensively...
GMAT focus: Not worth, I would not recomment them...
GMAT Club Challenges: (http://www.gmatclub.com/wiki/tests)Must buy....they are worth every cent you spend on them...
MGMAT SC guide: Must have for SCs
Kaplan 800: I did it but did not like.....Kaplan is not close to GMAT pattern.
Princeton Review: Good to start with but not good for advanced preparation.
GMAT CR bible from PowerScore: Very good book to learn CRs from.
LSAT book: I bought it but didn't study much.

CAT preparation Results:
GMAT prep - I : 670 (Q49, V32) 8th May 08
GMAT prep - II : 690 (Q49, V34) 25th Jun 08
Power Prep -I: 690 (Q47, V37)......not a good predictor of your performance....Qaunts is ridiculous..
GMAT Prep Reset -I : 730 (q49, V40): 6th July
GMAT Prep Reset -II : 620 (q49, V25): 22nd July............off day....but it drove me crazy..
GMAT prep Reinstalled -I: 710(Q51, V35) 24th July....bit skewed..but this was the peak of my quants...thank God it came at right time..
GMAT prep Reinstalled -II: 700(Q51, V32) 25th July..so this..

In MGMAT CATS I scored from 670 to 730....
I took PR CAT too...but found not good for GMAT preparation...They are not GMAT like.

Real GMAT: 710 (Q50, V35) 27th July

GMAT Prep tests are the best and the most accurate predictor of your performance. I think the MGMAT CATs are also good. Their Quants is lengthy and tough but good for practice. Verbal is also good. Actually nothing is close to GMAT pattern as far as verbal is concerned. Verbal questions are very difficult to mimic with GMAT flavor. Kaplan is ridiculuosly tough making no sense. GMAT is not all about solving tough questions, it's about learning the tricks to solve GMAT type problems. Only pratice can make you learn the GMAT pattern.

My success formula for the last SEVEN days(this worked for me)
Better to take a week off from your work and sleep at least 8 hrs every day during the last week.

Revise all Maths formulae and Verbal notes on the very first day.

For the next five days...do ONLY GMAT prep tests and their Questions....to get into rhythm for the real test...take a test (only GMAT prep) daily for 5 days....you will get repeats...don't worry...you know how much you have really scored... This will give the variety and degree of challenge you are going to face in the real TEST.

Seventh day....I would not recommend to take the practice test a day before your G-day. Don't stress too much, Relax,,,,go to religious places....to be calm and get blessings from Almighty..leave it to God and get a proper sleep..

G-day.....smash it...

Last but not least...thanks all of you whoever contributed to my preparation....GMAT Clubbers roccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk...

That's all for now....please feel free to ask about any help...If I can be of any..

My sincere thanks to TimeSquareDesi, jallenmorris, fresinha12, walker, Tarmac,abhaypratapsingh, dushver, barfer, x-ALI-x, mbawaters for your good words.

Last edited by vshaunak@gmail.com on 04 Feb 2009, 10:48, edited 8 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 11:20
Congrats! Your quant scores on your practice exams are killer! 8-)

Can you offer any advice at all about quant?

Best of luck on apps,
- tsd
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 11:31
Great score! Wow, Q50 is unbelievable. Don't worry too much about the 80/80 Split. I've been asking about that a lot in the last few days and what i've gathered is it's nice to have, but certainly no hard rule that it's necessary. Your 710 stacks up the same as any other score in the low 700s. I think there is truly very little difference between 700 - 740.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 11:51
awesome score! i am soooo happy for you...

good luck and stick around..at least i need your help for Q...
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 360

Kudos [?]: 1783 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:12
Expert's post
Congrats!!! It is excellent news :)

:musband

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 14:03
Great job on the score!

One note though, I don't agree with taking so much time off work. It's not necessary. Save your days for a real vacation and interviews.

vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:

Better to take a week off from your work and sleep at least 8 hrs every day during the last week.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 21:27
Any suggestions for quant ? I am stuck with 34-38 range , i have given 6 CATS so far.

thnks,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 22:29
Congrats mate, great score. I like your last seven days strategy.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago R2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 21:36
Super!!!! Excellent result! Sexy Q-score!!!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 09:31
TimeSquareDesi wrote:
Congrats! Your quant scores on your practice exams are killer! 8-)

Can you offer any advice at all about quant?

Best of luck on apps,
- tsd

Thanks for wishes.

Please let me know what specific topics you need advice on?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 09:35
I'm just wondering which resources you used and went through in order to gain confidence in Quant. Which books did you use, any online sites/resources?

Thanks in advance,
- tsd
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 09:46
TimeSquareDesi wrote:
I'm just wondering which resources you used and went through in order to gain confidence in Quant. Which books did you use, any online sites/resources?

Thanks in advance,
- tsd

I used OG 11 and OG Quants Guide (green one).
GMAT club Challenges are must....they are worth every penny...they are bit harder than GMAT and teach you to handle the trap in DS questions.

Actually beating GMAT quants does require you to be skilled at not to be caught in the traps. GMAT writers are good at creating traps. I suggest - read the question very carefully at least twice and before clicking the answer read once more to make sure you have answered what was desired.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
Tarmac wrote:
Great job on the score!

One note though, I don't agree with taking so much time off work. It's not necessary. Save your days for a real vacation and interviews.

vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks.
Actually I had a luxury to take a week off....but not many have ...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Life
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 10:32
Congrats, great stuff!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 13:36
Nice score! congratulations you are ova the hump!
Re: 710 (Q50, V35)......Thank God!!! got the monkey off my back   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2008, 13:36