Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 13:07

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710(Q50V37)-Bit disappointed, looking for retake-Need advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 23

CAT Tests
710(Q50V37)-Bit disappointed, looking for retake-Need advice [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 19:43
Hi, I took my first GMAT yesterday and got 710(not good as I belong to a geography from where people score high). I need advice on improving verbal, SC in particular. During the exam, I observed that in many of the SC questions, I could narrow down the answer choices to 2, but wasn't sure which one is correct. So, probably I am lacking some SC skills.

Could anyone advice how to move on and improve SC to get 40 in Verbal? I have heard about e-gmat and the good reviews it receives. I don't have much funds to invest in big prep classes. Experts, please guide, TIA!

QA is my strength, but I felt that I was lacking practice in one segment of arithmetic(trigononometry - two early ques took me 8 mins in calculating values of sin, tan and cos, and totally took my timings off). I lacked practise in QA (I didn't do a single ques of DS and more than half of the ques of OG probably due to overconfidence as I got 51 in most of my mocks), so doing those ques is one thing I am going to do this time to get Q51.

Does anyone have idea, how many ques one does wrong to go down from Q51 to Q50. Through my mocks, I observed that when I did all 37 ques right, then I got Q51 and when I did 2 ques wrong, then I got Q50. Is it true to say that doing 2 ques wrong can bring the QA score from 51 to 50?

I've gained a lot from this community and I'll be happy to respond to any question regarding my test experience.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 7

Re: 710(Q50V37)-Bit disappointed, looking for retake-Need advice [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
asingh203 wrote:
Hi, I took my first GMAT yesterday and got 710(not good as I belong to a geography from where people score high). I need advice on improving verbal, SC in particular. During the exam, I observed that in many of the SC questions, I could narrow down the answer choices to 2, but wasn't sure which one is correct. So, probably I am lacking some SC skills.

Could anyone advice how to move on and improve SC to get 40 in Verbal? I have heard about e-gmat and the good reviews it receives. I don't have much funds to invest in big prep classes. Experts, please guide, TIA!

QA is my strength, but I felt that I was lacking practice in one segment of arithmetic(trigononometry - two early ques took me 8 mins in calculating values of sin, tan and cos, and totally took my timings off). I lacked practise in QA (I didn't do a single ques of DS and more than half of the ques of OG probably due to overconfidence as I got 51 in most of my mocks), so doing those ques is one thing I am going to do this time to get Q51.

Does anyone have idea, how many ques one does wrong to go down from Q51 to Q50. Through my mocks, I observed that when I did all 37 ques right, then I got Q51 and when I did 2 ques wrong, then I got Q50. Is it true to say that doing 2 ques wrong can bring the QA score from 51 to 50?

I've gained a lot from this community and I'll be happy to respond to any question regarding my test experience.

Manhattan GMAT SC booklet is a great resource for the SC. I'd advise you to first go through that in detail and at length and after that start doing questions from the OG and mock test that you might have already taken. MGMAT CATs are also a good source for good questions but don't take their scores too seriously especially if you're wanting to score towards the higher end of the spectrum.

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: 710(Q50V37)-Bit disappointed, looking for retake-Need advice [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 02:02
soods26 wrote:
asingh203 wrote:

Manhattan GMAT SC booklet is a great resource for the SC. I'd advise you to first go through that in detail and at length and after that start doing questions from the OG and mock test that you might have already taken. MGMAT CATs are also a good source for good questions but don't take their scores too seriously especially if you're wanting to score towards the higher end of the spectrum.

Thanks Sood for the advice! However, I've gone through the MGMAT SC book religiously many a times. The issue I was having in the exam was that I couldn't answer some of the SC questions confidently after narrowing down the choices to two. I was confident in the other sections of verbal, but found SC a bit different from what I learnt.

It is surprising to see that with split of Q50 V37 people often got 720 or 710. Any idea, how does GMAT differentiate the final scores from the same split. And, can the final score come different from what one get on the non-official score( a wish, impossible to come true :) )
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 7

Re: 710(Q50V37)-Bit disappointed, looking for retake-Need advice [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 02:19
asingh203 wrote:
soods26 wrote:
asingh203 wrote:

Thanks Sood for the advice! However, I've gone through the MGMAT SC book religiously many a times. The issue I was having in the exam was that I couldn't answer some of the SC questions confidently after narrowing down the choices to two. I was confident in the other sections of verbal, but found SC a bit different from what I learnt.

It is surprising to see that with split of Q50 V37 people often got 720 or 710. Any idea, how does GMAT differentiate the final scores from the same split. And, can the final score come different from what one get on the non-official score( a wish, impossible to come true :) )

I am not sure if the final score would be different to what you saw on the non official sheet. Haven't heard of it. To answer another question from you - It is unofficially said that you get a Q51 for 1-2 questions wrong, Q50 for 3-6 wrong questions and so on....I don't have much idea on how GMAT differentiates between final score on the same split. I have seen people with a Q50,V42 split and Q50,V44 split all score a 760!

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 2.3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 710(Q50V37)-Bit disappointed, looking for retake-Need advice [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 15:50
Sin, Cos, and Tan in the actual examination? I have neither ever seen such questions in any of the mock tests and actual GMAT nor ever seen any of the Official Guides talking about these type of questions. It is true that you may get some questions that may require you to use these concepts but certainly these concepts are not the only way to solve such questions. Moderators, any inputs from you?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Consider to give me kudos if my post helped you.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 710(Q50V37)-Bit disappointed, looking for retake-Need advice [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 09:18
You can try reading the Wall Street Journal quite a lot. Then when you have an SC question you can't pick a final answer for, try to guess which option sounds like it would most likely appear in the WSJ. I say the WSJ because it is American style English (The Economist is good too but UK style. Also, make sure you exhaust all official sources of SC problems. Have you purchased the additional GMAC practice tests and questions?

Finally, a lot of the hard SC questions are testing multiples rules and have lots of filler in the sentences. Try to stick with what you are confident about to rule out answer choices, even if they otherwise seem right. And do enough SC questions where you start skipping over the filler clauses when they are the same or don't matter, to focus on what counts. Harder SC questions that are long have the possibility of being easy because there are more ways to rule options out. On the other hand, some SC questions can be short, but deceptive. So don't go so quick on short SC questions.
Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: 710(Q50V37)-Bit disappointed, looking for retake-Need advice [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 10:07
heemsmba wrote:
You can try reading the Wall Street Journal quite a lot. Then when you have an SC question you can't pick a final answer for, try to guess which option sounds like it would most likely appear in the WSJ. I say the WSJ because it is American style English (The Economist is good too but UK style. Also, make sure you exhaust all official sources of SC problems. Have you purchased the additional GMAC practice tests and questions?

Finally, a lot of the hard SC questions are testing multiples rules and have lots of filler in the sentences. Try to stick with what you are confident about to rule out answer choices, even if they otherwise seem right. And do enough SC questions where you start skipping over the filler clauses when they are the same or don't matter, to focus on what counts. Harder SC questions that are long have the possibility of being easy because there are more ways to rule options out. On the other hand, some SC questions can be short, but deceptive. So don't go so quick on short SC questions.

Appreciate your advice. Thanks for taking your time out!

I've bought all available GMAC practice tests, and I am practicing them. Determine to get in mid 700s this time around.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 710(Q50V37)-Bit disappointed, looking for retake-Need advice [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 10:54
In addition to practice tests, there are question packs of problems (through the software) and old paper GMAT questions you can purchase. At least there were a year ago.

Also, I remember reading that SC is less focused on idioms now, and more on meaning. Sometimes meaning is changed (incorrectly) in answer choices.

Good luck. With your Q you'll do great overall with even a marginal improvement in V.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: 710(Q50V37)-Bit disappointed, looking for retake-Need advice   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2014, 10:54