Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 19:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710--Relieved but may retake

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

710--Relieved but may retake [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2005, 16:34
Well, I'm very pleased to have topped 700, but think I could have done a little better in both sections. I spent too much time on a few math Qs, and ended up with only 3 minutes or so for the last two, and probably dropped both--They were too long but almost certainly doable. As for a quick play by play:

AWA: Started with the Issue prompt, which I wasn't very comfortable with--made me feel like I was back in HS writing a BS paper you don't really believe in. It took about 8 minutes or so before I started typing. In contrast, the argument topic was much more interesting to me and easy to disect. My goal was to expend the least amount of mental energy possible.

Quant: Started with a tough question, though can't recall it, then #2 was simple combination that took 30 seconds if not less. The difficulty escalated. #6 involved coordinate geometry and I spent far too long deciding which way to solve. You could narrow down to 2 though, and luckily (by solving afterward) I guessed correctly. Midway through or so I got a very simple question that involved plugging a given value into an equation--I was worried a little that this was either a trick question or that I was working out of the easy bin--My advice--Don't worry about question difficulty, PERIOD.

Verbal: The most notable thing about the verbal was the fact that the SCs were usually undeniably more difficult than OG. They were long and involved multiple errors. CR was at about OG level, which was a relief. Surprisingly, there was a CR question that seemed VERY similar to one in the LSAT problems--kind of made me feel like I was getting a question I wasn't supposed to get. Anyway, got a Bold face at #6 which was a piece of cake and another at #40 which was more difficult. Had some troubles with the first RC passage. It was a short one about DNA, but for some reason just couldn't get into it and probably missed a question or two here. There was a long passage-85 lines-about Aztec women which was easy to follow.

All in all, I felt very slow and rusty on math and missed a few that I should have got. With the verbal there was a handful I could narrow down to two, but just couldn't decide exactly what they wanted.

Going in, under 700 would have been an automatic retake. I was thinking 700-10 would be 50/50. 720 most likely not, and 730+ definately not. I think theres a 75% chance of improving but that other 25% really scares me. I have been struggling with reading headaches for some time now, which made studying difficult, obviously, so I should probably be happy with what I got.

Just want to say thanks to the people whose posts certainly helped out: Honghu, richardj, christoph, ywilifred, praetorian, ranga41 and Paul immediately come to mind--there are others.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2004
Posts: 288
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2005, 17:30
:cool

Cool score! What was the split (Q/V)?
_________________

-Vikram

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Posts: 257
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2005, 18:40
Awesome job, man!

:2gunfire:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2005, 08:12
Thanks guys, but I just don't feel I've achieved closure with this test.

I purposely left out Q/V split, but I will say both scores were over 85%ile and there was an 11 point difference.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 488
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2005, 05:22
awesome score, thanks for the tips good luck with the apps :-D :wave
  [#permalink] 02 Oct 2005, 05:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
High 600s on CATs, 560 on May 5th GMAT! Retaking in June anjang86 0 07 May 2012, 14:13
12 From 670 to 750, may retake (long, sorry lol) eragotte 5 08 Oct 2011, 05:21
Retake? ellisje22 2 05 Jan 2007, 14:56
To retake or not zambrotta 3 16 Jun 2006, 07:34
Experts publish their posts in the topic Retake? sparky 4 14 Jul 2005, 10:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

710--Relieved but may retake

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: m3equals333, TGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.