Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 Score- 94th percentile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

710 Score- 94th percentile [#permalink] New post 04 May 2006, 06:34
Hi:
Got done.
710 - 94th percentile
M-45 V-38

Looks like verbal killed me here. Honestly, I was disappointed as I had expected higher. But this is what I have now.

My test experience
I took the test in the evening- I am not a morning person.
Center was fine. People there were very nice and made me feel comfortable right away. For blocking out the noise, they gave me ear plugs instead of headphones. I find the ear plugs annoying, but they were better than having nothing. Essay was fine. Took the whole 30 min each to write, read and re-read. Took the 10 min break after that and made a bathroom run. Was back before end of 10 min to start Math. Math was LONG. I guessed the last two as I ran out time. But looks like it pays to spend more time on the initial ones. I was very frazzled by the time math ended and took my second break to drink some soda and re-compose. Then came verbal. I thought verbal was going well- from score, looks like not so. After the test, the score came up. I was not happy with what I got. But happy to be done and leaving.
As for the noteboards, I thought those were fine. Though at one time, it took me 30 seconds to get the attention of the proctor to get new noteboards- which was annoying.

Preparation
I have been preparing for about 4 months. I have a full time job, so I studied whenever I could- basically evenings and weekends. Didn't see my fiance or my friends much as this took most of my free time. (I am so glad he was understanding about this). Did all books- OG, Kaplan 800, MGMAT books. Also, did practice tests- all Kaplan, all PR, all MGMAT. Power prep. Except for Kaplan where I was still getting in late 600s towards the end, all others I was getting in 700s by the time I was ready to give the test. Also, participated in forum (though I learnt about this forum late and could not participate as much)
In terms of books, I thought a few MGMAT were useful- sentence correction, some math.

Now
Thinking if I should re-take. My target school is Harvard. My score isn't spectacular. But other credentials are good. I have a BS and MS in Engineering in US with great GPAs in both, 5+ years work experience with technical work as well as managing projects and managing people. Any comments/suggestions from anyone here? Am I underselling myself? I am not sure what is being looked for.

Looks like the next step is to start the applications. Oh also- get married- my fiance will be glad to have me back now from the GMAT black hole I have been in :-)

BTW- I will be happy to expand on other preparation related stuff if anyone is interested.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 Score- 94th percentile [#permalink] New post 04 May 2006, 06:42
cindyn wrote:
Hi:
Got done.
710 - 94th percentile
M-45 V-38

Looks like verbal killed me here. Honestly, I was disappointed as I had expected higher. But this is what I have now.

Congrats !!!! Good score !!!! Good luck with your apps and enjoy your time now .

One question for you :-

R u sure you got 45 in quant section or is it a typing error
because from my experience to get 710 with 38 in verbal you should get something around 48-50 in quant ,unless they changed something in their scoring pattern .Let us know ? Kind of curious .

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2006, 07:26
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
I wish you luck for your appl. :gl
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2006, 08:52
Congratulations ! Thats a very good score and you have very good credentials !! Good luck.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2006, 11:27
Congrats cindyn,

All the best ..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2006, 11:49
very nice score, congrats!!! Goodluck with your apps.

Would you please detail as to what type of math questions you faced. I am studying right now and would like to know what I should focus on. Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2006, 21:34
congrats,

btw 45/38-750 sounds bit off for 45 Quant
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2006, 21:56
Awesome score! Congrats!

Please tell us how you prepared for verbal!

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 May 2006, 04:57
great score. congrats!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 May 2006, 06:57
The M is 49 not 45 as I mentioned earlier (looks like it was a typo and I didn't realize until now- I must have still been loopy from taking the test when I wrote this post). Rest is accurate. Thanks for the wishes everyone.

As for Verbal, I think I had a bad day. It is because I was doing quite well in it on my practice tests. As requested, I will expand a little more on the preparation.

Verbal
After doing the usual Kaplan, Princeton etc, I used MGMAT to hone in on the specifics. That helped quite a bit. My english has always been good. And I have done good amount writing. So, I had good faith in being able to pick out what "sounded" right. It was just making sure all the rules were clear to me (Its been many years since I polished my grammar rules). So, I focused on those. I did many practice tests. I used the OG very heavily for explanations as, after all, that is the bible for GMAT. I started participating in some of the forums too, but I learnt about this site late in the game and couldn't participate as much due to time constraints.

Math
I have always been strong in math. So, this was something I was least worried about. It was just increasing my speed of solving problems and touching up on the basics again. I did many Challenge tests here which were useful. There was a request on one of the posts on what kind of math problems were being asked. I think I got all kinds- probability, geometry, numbers - everything. There were some tough DS problems. There was one early in the game that I must have spent at least 5 min on. I think I got it right, but had to go back, re-adjust my thinking and try again. I lost some time going through the first line of reasoning. I did not focus on whether problems were getting easier or harder, rather on the immediate problem at hand. But now that I think back, things were definitely being taken up a few notches. By the time I reached the end, I had 2 problems and 2 min. I did some work on the first and marked an answer with 75% probability; for the second one, I mainly guessed with 30% confidence on the answer. Thinking back, I am glad I spent the extra time on the initial few hard ones.

Practice Tests
I did PR, Kaplan, PP and MGMAT all tests.
By the time it was the month I was going to take the test, my score in PR, MGMAT and PPs was definitely in 700s. Kaplans were still late 600 (I think the highest I got in Kaplan was 690).

Hope this is useful to some. Good luck all!

Comment-
chiragr- I said 710 in my post, never said 750.
  [#permalink] 05 May 2006, 06:57