Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 - Should I retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

710 - Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 21:39
I am dissatisfied with the score. 710 (Q51, V35)

I have been studied periodically for 9 months now. Since I have works as well, so I can only spend about 1h30 each night and about 9 hours in the weekends.

I have gone thru:

- OG 10, OG12
- Verbal Review, Quant Review
- Kaplan 800
- 400/1000SC
- 400/1000CR
- 70 Passages/1000RC

Mock Tests:
- 31 Paper Tests Sets (around 680 - 770 I think)
- 4 Test Kaplan CDs (540 - 680)
- 6 Manhattan Tests (710, 720, 720, 750, 750)
- 2 Gmat Prep Tests (700, 680 (5 months ago), 750, 770 (this week))
- 1 Knewton (done 3 times) (700, 740, 750)

My test day:

At the test center, I was flying thru writing and math. Between this 2 sections, I began to have running nose problem, it is short of a allergic problem of mine, and it is uncontrollable, I have not had running nose this whole week but today it had to happen. Anyway, during the verbal section I used a lot of papers to blow my nose, it provides a bit of distraction.

There were few problems with math, about 2 problems I have no idea so I just guess. The other were within my skill.

Verbal were quite different from what I expected I think. Some of the idiom in the SC I have never encountered before. The CR is also not clear cut, there are some that I could only use POE and not be able to conclusively pinpoint the logical reasoning. I reckon those one cost me a lot. I had 2 long readings passage which took some time but overall, reading I think was ok.

Anyhow, the question now is whether I should retake or not? Please help me answer this question.

I am a foreigner, I had studied undergraduate in the US, but now I worked back in my home country. I had 2 years of EXP in Sales up to now, which will be 3 years till next Fall, the time I want to attend school.

I wanted to apply to the top schools:
- Columbia
- NYU
- Harvard

Is my score enough to get in, scholarships? How about with schools in top 30? Do I have a chance to get scholarship? I need the scholarship.

The problem with me reading the Gmat material now is that I kinda remember of all them now, I could tell the answer from OG questions instally without thinking. The only part in the material that I have not touch is the LSAT portion and half of the 1.

October as you all know is the first round application, I could wait for a few months to clear my mind of the material and relearn and retake?

Or may be I should continue study and retake in 31 days?

Please advise. :oops:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 989 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: 710 - Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 23:09
should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Congrats for the the score, it is good for any top school if you present good application but the self satisfaction is important too. Its hard decision just go through the above thread.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: 710 - Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 00:51
gautrang, thank you for sharing your experience with us.

As far as your question is concerned, it really depends if you realistically believe that you can increase your score by more studying. 30 days of very intensive studying cannot IMO improve your fundamentals dramatically. But if your fundamentals are very solid, then it would be enough time to fine tune your gaps (especially in quant I think).
Manager
Manager

Re: 710 - Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 17:53
I think if I can keep calm during the test, I can improve my score.

Problem now is I'm running out of material to study CR (OG, Verbal Review, 1000CR Gmat part, the only thing left are all LSAT problems, I have done a couple of the LSAT parts, it certainly has some different comparing to Gmat.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: 710 - Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 03:35
Quote:
I think if I can keep calm during the test, I can improve my score.

Absolutely. That's the main problem of most test takers I think.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

Re: 710 - Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 03:53
Looking at your practice scores it appears that you should reasonably be able to reach 740. Perhaps you can concentrate on verbal, without of course neglecting the quant side, and give the exam another shot. 710 is a good score so I don't think you have anything to lose. Prepare well and go for it.

Can you tell us a little bit about the quant part of the exam? Do you think the questions were representative of the OG/GMAT prep?
Any pointers for us?

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager

Re: 710 - Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 01:13
akaydee wrote:

Can you tell us a little bit about the quant part of the exam? Do you think the questions were representative of the OG/GMAT prep?
Any pointers for us?

Hi Akaydee, I think the Quant are very much like those you see in the GMAT prep; however the number of tough ones may be more, but certainly not too hard or of the type that hasn't been covered. For examples, during the Gmat Prep, I encountered about 5 tough questions, in the real one, I faced with about 8.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 - Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 05:36
710 is enough! If I were you I would spend my time writing a strong application. I can't tell you how many people with 700+ GMAT forget about the other parts of the application. A 710 will not guarantee you a spot in a top business school but a weak application will not get you in for sure.
Good luck and congrats on your score.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

Re: 710 - Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 20:58
What was your UG GPA? If it's below 3.0, then I might consider retaking if you really think you can knock it out of the park.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: 710 - Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 23:20
If getting a scholarship is your priority then you SHOULD RETAKE the GMAT. You will have a better shot at a scholarship with a 770+ than a 710
Re: 710 - Should I retake?   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2010, 23:20