Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.45
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Re: 720, Age 30. Too Old/Late? [#permalink]
Thanks all. I currently work as an engineer in the valley and post-MBA, I would like to get into product management, business development/strategy type roles in tech itself.

The avg age tends to be 28 with only 5 years of experience which would mean that most folks start their career at age 23. I started working as a 21 year old and I will have 9 years of experience by the time I apply.

Considering I want to stay in tech, I am hoping my experience/age won't count against me too much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Management Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Monika-

I think you might also look at EMBA programs.

With your credentials, you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting into top EMBA programs.

I applied to Stanford Sloan and UVA Darden GEMBA programs and was accepted to both.

I'm 10 years older than you, but also had low undergrad GPA and a good graduate GPA. Your GMAT scores are pretty good... You would probably stand out more among the EMBA applicants...
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
BTW just to let you know that you are BY NO MEANS in a disadvantage!
I personally know a couple of outstanding 30 year olds who made it to Booth, Wharton and HBS. The one in HBS had exactly your GMAT score and the other two were 10 points short!
You are completely fine.
But that still means that you need a reflection and connect your work ex to your post MBA goals and make stellar essays!
All the best!
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Kudos
One thing. If you don't apply, you will never know. So forget the age and focus on what needs to be done.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
I turn 30 in a couple weeks (egads!) and was just admitted to a couple of great programs. They expect you to have accomplished a lot in those post-college years, but that's the same of any age. You just have more years of impressive accomplishments hopefully!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [3]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I applied to business school at 31 and matriculated at Booth at 32 (acceptances at Wharton and Kellogg too). I also had a craptacular GPA. You're not too old and your age isn't a disadvantage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Age? Psh! You'll be great for any program with your background. Age probably only becomes a factor in the mid thirties and a huge factor in the late thirties. And a 2.8 at CMU is pretty damn good in my book. Shoot higher than Duke/Ross, maybe Booth; don't know unless you try :) (That said I would be ecstatic to get into Duke on Tuesday!)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Monika,

30 is not too old for MBA with your tech PM goals as long you have shown career trajectory and desire to learn. I see a few people in their 30s and I would suggest to explain the GPA in the context FT job and PT studies. I was in the same boat. Have you also considered Kellogg and MIT, both have vibrant tech marketing scenes with strong placements and Kellogg is considered to value experience.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE:Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
I will be 29 next year, turning 30 in December applying to the Rice MBA Part time program as well as the University of Houston PT MBA program.

Sitting for the CPA exam/GMAT should be fun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Neither too old nor too late. I am starting my MBA this fall at Sloan MIT and I will be 32 at matriculation. I have a very similar background to yours. 8+ years in Engineering, graduated with a 3.0 GPA and a 710 GMAT. The skills engineers develop in their careers are very practical and useful in management/consulting/new venture creation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've asked this question in the past. Got similar feedback, that it shouldn't be a problem if you have a solid reason and application. I've spoken to those who have graduated and they had a low number of over 30's in their class but that could be because less apply. Statistically it is more difficult and schools like stanford from my understanding have an issue with above 30's. But others are accepting. HBS is a tough school anyway but the chances are slimmer but better then stanford. Wharton, Columbia are better. This is from feedback I've been given. Which has been on the forum and a few MBA grads.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi
I am 37yrs old and would like to take up gmat. I am an engineering graduate with 52% and have 13 yrs of experience. My main intention for taking Gmat to switch my career. With my age will I get admission in b schools like INSEAD,etc. Your valuable suggestion is highly appreciated.
Sudheer
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sumat, you might want to consider an executive MBA at this point in your career. I think with your age and experience you will actually enjoy and benefit more from the executive program than an MBA. Think about who your classmates will be. And think about what kind of network you will be developing. For the jobs you will be wanting after business school you will need a much more mature network. I'm guessing at 37 you won't be looking for associate level jobs most MBAs are getting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mike

Thanks for suggestion. I do agree that it's late to kick start MBA at this age. As I need to change my core field and enter in to management, the option is to get in to MBA. As you suggested to opt executive programme, will it help me to change my profession. Please advice.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
sumat wrote:
Hi
Hi sumat! It looks like this is an oldy but a goody- and I would say it is even more true now if this is a few yearss ago-
that at this point I would look at exec MBA programs because the cohort is going to be more in your range of work. No need to just hang with the youngsters at this point- I can see you also looking at one of the programs like Stanford MSX for experienced applicants or Sloan Fellows also. But I don't see the FT MBA as the best fit. Of course- there is no absolute and there are always the outliers and if you have good reasons for the FT MBA and enough of your stats stand out, anything is possible. But I would say in general your best bet would be those exec or fellows programs.

I am 37yrs old and would like to take up gmat. I am an engineering graduate with 52% and have 13 yrs of experience. My main intention for taking Gmat to switch my career. With my age will I get admission in b schools like INSEAD,etc. Your valuable suggestion is highly appreciated.
Sudheer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree with the above, and with 13+ years experience AND an engineering (graduate?) degree already under your belt, the EMBA is the way to go. INSEAD will love you, as they like applicants who have demonstrated they are already able to do graduate level work in their particular field.

I specifically work with EMBA applicants and have a great track record with INSEAD, so reach out if I can be of more assistance.

www.MBAIvyLeague.com
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot