Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

720 and happy !

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

720 and happy ! [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hello all !

First, you will notice that this is my first post. I've been using this forum regularly since last summer, but I never posted anything. There were times when I wanted to ask questions, but I never dared to do it.

I must admit I often felt intimidated. For me, 720 is an amazing score that I never thought I could get. For others, it's a really bad score. I often felt discouraged reading other people complaining about their 700-710 score. I always had good grades in school without working so much, so it was hard for me to accept that for the GMAT, I wouldn't get on top that easily.

BACKGROUND
My college degree was in science, so I did some math back then. I started a B.A in biochemistry but didn't like lab work, so I switched to humanities. I finished university in 2005, so it's been a while. I'm 31 years old. Recently, I've been working in the travel industry. My first language is French.

PREPARATION
I started preparing for the GMAT in last August. At first, I studied in a lazy way. I can't concentrate for a long time, so I figured I should start early and do it little by little. I took a first GMAT Prep test to see how I was doing. I scored 670. Not bad, I thought. Now it can only get better. I wasn't worried.

But... the problem is when I did this exam, I took many breaks... I overestimated my capacity to concentrate for a long time. In early November I took the Kaplan free test. I did it properly this time, and I scored 610. I was devastated ! That's when I woke up and started preparing for real. My GMAT was scheduled for December 6th : I had one month left to level up !

I started studying like crazy... well, that was crazy for me, because as I said, I can't study for many hours. After one hour I have to stop and do something else, because I cannot concentrate anymore. And even so, I can't do more than 5 hours a day. I had 2 weeks before starting to work full time so I had plenty of time during the day. I practiced questions for all sections and I studied math theory because I realized I forgot a lot since college. After a week, I did the MGMAT free test and scored 650 (Q43, V36). I was happy : I felt I was on the right track.

Second intensive week, then another free test, this time Veritas. I scored 710. I was overjoyed ! At that point I didn't really believe I could score 700 at the real test. But still, I was really happy.

Then I started working full-time, so practice became more difficult. It was hard to concentrate after a day of work. Still, I was able to do 2 to 3 hours a day. I did many GMAT Club tests, thanks to the 1 000 000 posts promotion. For some reason I felt that math was my weakness, so I really focused on the quantitative section. I used the GMAT Club's Math Book and found it very useful. I felt I was still lacking in basic math concepts so I decided to purchase Manhattan GMAT's Foundations of GMAT Math. It was a bit too late, so I'm not sure if it was really useful, but reading it and making sure I understood the basics made me more confident.

On the last weekend before my test, I took the second GMAT Prep test. I scored 690 (Q44, V40). I was a little bit disappointed as I was secretly hoping for 700, but it was ok. I was confident I could score between 670 and 690 at the real test, so that was my realistic goal.
Then I realized that there was one more free test I didn't do, the Princeton one. So I decided to do it. Bad idea : I scored 580 (Q41, V29). I couldn't believe it ! This made me lose all my confidence. Now I was going to the test thinking that it was possible I could score below 600, something I never thought before. I became more stressed and anxious.

At this point, I realized that I was actually weaker in the verbal section than in the quantitative section. Quantitative is hard for me because there are still some questions types that give me a hard time, like mixture problems and combinations. But I spent too much time on difficult questions that made me think I was really poor in the quantitative section, when actually, I wasn't doing so bad.

I used some information I found on the forum to try to improve my verbal score. RC was the hardest for me. I improved when I started to take notes, because while taking them, I was organizing the information and understanding it better. I didn't really use the notes afterwards. It was helpful while I was writing them. I read Gin's RC technique and found it quite useful.

Still, I knew that the main reason that my verbal score was low was simply because it's the last section. Again, my concentration problem. After more than 2 hours, it becomes really hard for me to focus.

The night before the exam I didn't do anything. I watched a TV show I like in order to relax, and went to bed early.

THE REAL TEST
And then December 6th came. I was so stressed I thought I would be sick. When I sat in front of the computer, I seriously thought I would be unable to get a hold of myself. I couldn't think clearly. It is such a good thing that the exam starts with AWA ! As I was writing my essay I calmed down.

In practice tests, I always struggled with integrated reasoning. I always take too much time and end up guessing. But still, in both GMAT prep tests I got 8, so I wasn't too much worried.

Then I took the much needed 8 minutes break, and attacked the quantitative section. As soon as I sat I wrote my timing stategy on my pad : Q10 : 55 min left; Q20 : 35 min left; Q30 : 10 min left. I really have to keep checking on this, because I'm always too slow in this section. Still, at some point I got behind schedule and started panicking. I guessed a couple of questions and was able to finish on time. At this point I had no idea how I did, but since I got some probability and combinatorics questions, I felt that might be a good thing. (I didn't get any of these in the GMAT Prep tests)

Another much needed break, then the last part. In every practice test I always finished the verbal section way to fast, with between 5 and 15 minutes left. Therefore, I decided to slow down. But guess what, I slowed down too much ! I never checked my time in the verbal section before. But then at some point I realized I was late, and got this awful, cold feeling and started panicking again for a few seconds.

I think what happened is that at some point, I got that really nasty RC passage. It was really long and really awful, talking about the origin of vertebrates, was it fresh water or sea water, and blah blah blah. I was taking notes furiously and ended up completely lost as there was way too much information, and I lost a lot of time there.

Still, I was able to calm down, speed up and finish on time. During the last questions, I felt more and more nervous at the thought of learning my score. I was about to have a heart attack when I finally clicked for the last time. And then... 720 (Q48, V41). Oh, the happiness !

So why did I scored higher than all the practice tests I did ? I'm not too sure, but I think everytime I did a practice test, unconsciously, I didn't give my best. Thinking about it, when I was in school, I didn't study that much, but I always scored high in exams. I think I simply don't give my best unless it's the real thing. That sounds pretty stupid, but that's the only explanation I can find.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it can be encouraging for people like me who do not have any business or finance background !
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HBS '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Account Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: 720 and happy ! [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 11:25
Great work! I also find it difficult to completely focus on the practice exams. Scoring higher on the real thing simply means that you're a game-time performer. Congrats on the great score.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: 720 and happy ! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 11:37
You definitely perform well under stress and that is great for many occasions in life.

Well done, man. Congrats!

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: 720 and happy ! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 08:48
Thank you ! I wish I could get rid of the stress, though. Oh well ! :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Re: 720 and happy ! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 21:55
Hey,great score!Congrats! Can u tell me what kind of questions u encountered on quant and which topcs' questions were the trickiest/time consuming?

Thanks,
Shreeraj
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: 720 and happy ! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
shreerajp99 wrote:
Hey,great score!Congrats! Can u tell me what kind of questions u encountered on quant and which topcs' questions were the trickiest/time consuming?

Thanks,
Shreeraj

Thank you !

Unfortunately, since it's been more than a week, I must admit that I don't remember precisely what kind of questions I got on quant... I don't remember getting really tough questions that I had no idea how to solve. I did get some question types that I saw before and that I know I wouldn't be able to solve quickly enough so I just guessed.

I'm still weak in probability, combinatorics, mixture problems and some work/rate problems. Probability and combinatorics are not so time consuming, as I usually know as soon as I start if I'll be able to solve the question or not. I either solve it quickly or guess. But I didn't work too much on those since as I mentioned, I didn't really get them in any practice tests. As for mixture and work/rate problems, I understand the logic but somehow I always end up spending way too much time calculating and I sometimes get lost in the process.

The time issue really depends on your personal weaknesses. I always spend way too much time calculating : multiplication, addition... I have to write everything. It's really time-consuming, especially when you're dealing with big numbers.
Re: 720 and happy !   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2012, 08:32