Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2217 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: operations
Schools:NUS
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: operations
Schools:NUS
Send PM
Re: 720 + dare = 760 [#permalink]
mayansd wrote:
avinash84 wrote:
Dear Mayank,
Today I gave the another MGMAT test and my score was
Q51 V33 (marked a question incorrectly) 680..I was expecting a 700 today ( is the split and overall score OK ???)
I am happy with my quant score, the verbal score is still paining.But the good thing is that I did good in CR after following your suggestions of going through hard questions with elaborate explanations.I think its working..... :roll:
I have still 10 more days to go and strongly believe that I can reach at least 38 in Verbal.....Any recommendation for the quality SC practice(I have read Manhattan's SC guide).

Hi avinash,

Your scores have been consistently improving from 650 to 680 in MGMAT which is good. MGMAT quant is tough, and if you got Q51 in it, then you can expect Q50/51 in your GMAT, which will give you a good score jump.

Verbal was a pain to me too. Do you have GMAT verbal handbook? if yes that will give you a good practice for SC. Else, you can go for GMAT prep SC question bank (around 15 questions) and manhattan gmat online SC question bank (around 25 questions). Manhattan SC is a fantastic book for GMAT SC. As for me, I revised GMAT OG SC and Manhattan SC 2-3 days before my GMAT and that did help me. For harder problems you can always refer to gmatclub 700 level tagged SC problems. With your target of Q51 and V38, you will easily place yourself in GMAT 730-750 range. Good luck!

Thanks for the motivation dude....I admire u.I am done with the Manhattan Q bank and OG SC and will revise them 2 or 3 days before D day as u did.
The 700 thread question pool is indeed a good practice for CR and SC.Well today this site is offering its tests free so I will try to make maximum use of it, any comments on these tests ??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
avinash84 wrote:
The 700 thread question pool is indeed a good practice for CR and SC.Well today this site is offering its tests free so I will try to make maximum use of it, any comments on these tests ??

hey.. yes, labor day bonus, I forgot. I gave gmatclub verbal tests, and they were good practice. They may not be as adaptive as GMAT, but the questions are challenging.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Mayank, thanks a lot for sharing your story with us.

Could you please shed some light on how you practiced and compiled/attacked/analyzed practice questions? Did you take one book and did questions from it and then moved on to another source?

Thanks a lot.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nonameee wrote:
Could you please shed some light on how you practiced and compiled/attacked/analyzed practice questions? Did you take one book and did questions from it and then moved on to another source?

Hello noname,

For areas in which I was strong, I practiced problems from one book, then moved on to other books. eg., I would do GMAT OG DS for 3-4 days, then take a MGMAT/800 score quant test.

For areas in which I was weak, I studied theory and practiced problems together. eg., in verbal, I would study 1-2 chapters from MGMAT SC, then solve 10-15 problems from GMAT verbal handbook, and then repeat this cycle. I would not mix two theory books or two problem books in one single day. Every book has got a set of strategies to solve questions, and has a set of questions based on these strategies. hence I would aim at mastering these strategies before moving on to other books.
hope that answered your question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Mayank, thanks for your reply.

Don't you think that there is a shortage of questions, especially if you need to concentrate on particular areas? How did you deal with that?

Also, can you please explain how you worked on your weak areas and how you analyzed your practice sessions/questions?

You mentioned that you were running out of time at the end of your preparation. How did you organize your preparation? Did you have something like practice sessions or did you just study randomly whenever you had time?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nonameee wrote:
Mayank, thanks for your reply.

Don't you think that there is a shortage of questions, especially if you need to concentrate on particular areas? How did you deal with that?

Also, can you please explain how you worked on your weak areas and how you analyzed your practice sessions/questions?

You mentioned that you were running out of time at the end of your preparation. How did you organize your preparation? Did you have something like practice sessions or did you just study randomly whenever you had time?

hello noname,

your question is valid. even I initially faced the problem while deciding "How much is enough preparation". I think your goals can define that. You can judge your potential and hence plan out a schedule for yourself. eg., if you are scoring 30-35 in verbal, you can expect to increase to 35-40 in one to two months, but not miraculously to 45-50 in the same time period (for most of the GMAT aspirants).

if you refer to standard books for GMAT, then I do not think there is a shortage of questions, as each question is a learning in itself. Whenever I felt that I needed more practice, I would solve gmatclub questions.

Regarding improving your weak areas, different people have different approach. I gain confidence by reading more theory, so I read verbal grammar books to improve my SC. You can stick to an approach that has worked for you in the past.

I had a study plan and I mostly stuck to it. I would usually study 1-2 hours on weekdays and 8-10 hours during weekends. But again I feel it is not the number of questions one solves or the number of hours one has studied, but rather the quality of efforts one has put in and the learning one has obtained during the process that matter on the D day.

hope that helped!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Mayank, thanks a lot for your answers. They are very helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 540 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools:ISB
Send PM
congrats man
best of luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Mayank, one final question: When would you recommend to take the first GMAT Prep test?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Awesome debrief! I dont know how I missed this! The timing calculation is very good. I never really check this while taking practice tests. I'll definitely check this in next test. Thank you very much!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nonameee wrote:
Mayank, one final question: When would you recommend to take the first GMAT Prep test?

GMAT prep 1 is supposed to be diagnostic test and GMAT prep 2 is a bit difficult (or the "real deal" if you may say.) generally people take gmat prep 1 before beginning their gmat preparation in order to gauge their performance in various areas of quant and verbal. then they take gmat prep 2 around 1 week before actual Gmat day.

I took Gmat prep-1 one month before D day, and Gmat prep-2 one week before D day. remember gmat prep is as close as you can get to actual gmat. also many (including me) have found it useful to attempt gmat prep tests multiple times.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
"I would be fool to back out without challenging my limits."

Inspirational statement, absolutely loved it, to be applied in other aspects of life as well.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts