Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 10:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

720 - dilemma?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
720 - dilemma? [#permalink] New post 24 May 2005, 06:51
Hi guys was just wondering, do you think i should take my test again or not?

I want to apply to business school, but i know i wont be on the higher end of the scale when it comes to work experience because i have only been working for two years. what do you guys suggest
Here are some of my details

GMAT: 720-Q49V39
High School-New Delhi, India
Undergrad: George Washington University (GPA 3.78;
Major: B.S.Economics: Concentrations- Finance&Forecasting,
& Minor: Statistics)
Currently working:
Junior Research Economist @ International Monetary Fund (IMF)

I also have some miscellaneous stuff which i feel might be strong points on my applications but want to check em with you guys.
I have a joint publication to my name with an Economics Prof. from GW in the Journal of Labor Economics, on Long Term Labor Forecasting, it has been accepted and comes out in Sept '05.
Am also in the midst of starting my own company with a friend of mine, cant talk too much about it but the gist of it is: it is a Internet based trade and collaboration portal for businesses wanting to work in the Middle East (Current project value est. $5-$6.5million).
Interests: Am very interested in Finance related stuff, but do not want to get too concentrated because i feel i might end up just being a financial engineer, i want to be able to bring that ability together with my vocational skills. I love talking and interacting with people, and have always seen myself doing something in Venture Capital for small business growth. I have been at odds about whether i should get a MBA or a MS in Finance and then do my MBA in 3 years.
BIG FACTOR: if my score is satisfactory to give me a good chance at the ultra elite, i dont want to have to take it again, i didnt enjoy the strain of studying for it.

So if anyone can give me any advice i would appreciate it
I feel i am 3 years short in the work ex area with regards to getting into an ultra elite school.
1) do i have a chance?
2) if it is up in the air should i take the test again?
3) what do you think would be my best bet? the mba w/ some concentration or a ms in finance. or some other degree, which you may feel is better suited to someone like me.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, NYU Stern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 19:45
hi,
ur GMAT is decent enough, i don't think there is any need to give it again. it will be better if you work for couple of more years before applying to elite b-schools as 2 years of work exp. is bit on a lower side, so there can be chances of rejection

regards
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2005, 12:15
I don't think you need to take the GMAT again. You have a solid GMAT and a solid GPA - so you have already cleared the academic hurdle. The rest of your application will ride on your ability to craft a compelling and persuasive application with strong essays.

Attain
info@attain-group.com
http://www.attain-group.com

Helpful MBA Links:
http://www.attain-group.com/content/resources.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2005, 02:54
Rupstar,
As said by others, your score wont stop you from getting into any ultra-elite school. But you certainly need to wait a few more years before you take a shot at these schools. In the meanwhile if you could manage a decent run with the colloboration portal, you will stand a great chance.

On second thought, current ultra-elite GMAT range hovers around 700-710. In succeeding years, it will go up and your score of 720 would just be above the average mark. So if you feel that you can raise your score to 750 and above then sure go for it.

HTH,
Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

[#permalink] 05 Jul 2005, 02:54