Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

720 on GMAT ---what to make of the score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

720 on GMAT ---what to make of the score [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2013, 17:48
I wrote my GMAT today and got a 720 with 51 in QA and 35 in VA. Made a mess in the verbal section. Had to rush through the last 10 questions in verbal in 6-7 minutes :| :(

My total work experience will be 3 years on 21st June with 15 months of work experience in Toronto,CA (currently working) and the rest in India and i am planning to start my mba next year. I m not sure what to make of this score :( .

Can someone please advise if this is a good score to get into a descent college and which colleges i can aim for. I have no geographical constraints.

Also, is ISB a realistic option with this score ??

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

Re: 720 on GMAT ---what to make of the score [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 14:04
Expert's post
Hi there,

Firstly - that's a great score! Congratulations! As an Indian applicant, you're at a good enough score to compete. Ok - so maybe other applicants in your pool have slightly higher scores but at the moment you're right at average and that's good enough. As an Indian applicant, you will never be able to use your GMAT score as a differentiator. Therefore, it has to be good enough and that's it. While your verbal score is on the lower side, it's not the end of the world. I wouldn't suggest taking it again honestly. If they are concerned with your verbal score, they can look to your essay and recommendations to make sure you the communication skills necessary to be successful.

As for potential schools, well I'll need a lot more information. For example, what's your profession? What kind of experiences? Any leadership? What did you do in Toronto. What company do you work for? Why do you want an MBA? What career are you looking to go into after? How was your undergraduate GPA? What extracurriculars are you in? In other words, school options have a lot of inputs that go into a good discussion and suggesting programs simply because you scored a 720 would be both useless and misleading.

Looking forward to learning more!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: 720 on GMAT ---what to make of the score [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 21:31
Hi,

Your GMAT scores seem impressive. Kindly elaborate about your job, achievements in or outside work place, acads, undergrad scores/institute, headship examples, short/long term goals, ECs and other skills. This will help me to evaluate your profile in a better way. However, you may try your chances in b-school(s) by clicking http://www.apphelp.co.in/Bschool-selection.htm

Let me know in case of further queries. You may PM your details for school selection & profile evaluation in length.

Regards
Erina

sg33 wrote:
I wrote my GMAT today and got a 720 with 51 in QA and 35 in VA. Made a mess in the verbal section. Had to rush through the last 10 questions in verbal in 6-7 minutes :| :(

My total work experience will be 3 years on 21st June with 15 months of work experience in Toronto,CA (currently working) and the rest in India and i am planning to start my mba next year. I m not sure what to make of this score :( .

Can someone please advise if this is a good score to get into a descent college and which colleges i can aim for. I have no geographical constraints.

Also, is ISB a realistic option with this score ??

Thanks

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school

Re: 720 on GMAT ---what to make of the score   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2013, 21:31