Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 08:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 3

720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
So finally, after 2 and a half months of study, I took my GMATs today. Was quite disappointed in my Verbal grade, but happy with my quantitative grade, still really feel I could have done alot better. Before I start really want to say a big thanks to gmatclub for all the help. I never posted anything on here - mainly because I felt that I was quite an amateur compared to the many many more knowledgeable people who are on this forum - but the gmatclub tests and explanations were priceless in helping me along the way.

Apologies if this is a lot of unstructured blabber - took the exam today and wanted to post this before I forgot to and before I got caught up at work.

First month
Decided that I was going to apply to business school on September 15th - and immediately booked my exam for the 15th of November, giving me 2 months to study from scratch. This was quite ambitious but at the time I thought I'd be able to handle it.

Until October I studied off the Kaplan Premier program book, decent enough book and thought the material was fairly straightforward. On the first of weekend of October I did a GMAT prep test, to see how I was doing, and got 700 (cant remember scores individually, but maths was the weakest area with verbal being quite strong - but overall thought that the 700 was also a consequence of some luck in guessing.

Second month
Since I felt sentence correction and maths were my weakest area I did a quick search for gmat related topics on google. This is where I came across gmatclub. Took the m25 and scored poorly (m25 28/37). Also started looking at some of the advice relating to the books to use and saw that the MGMAT SC was highly regarded and gave access to 6 free, and good, tests - so immediately purchased it. At this stage I didnt have the official guide 12, nor did I have an error log so I took gmatclub's advice here as well.

Started doing the gmatclub maths tests regularly and realised my maths was quite sub-par, and when the MGMAT book arrived (30th of October cause of French strike.. so frustrating) I took a practice full length exam and got:

640: Q 39 V 38

Freaked out, since I now had two weeks of study time left, so delayed the exam until the 29th of November.

Unfortunately at this time work had kicked in big time and I was barely able to study for the GMATs even on weekends, so I asked for a week off before the exam and also started arriving in work earlier so that I could study before I start work every day (but was never that productive since I was always exhausted)

Used the MGMAT SC book, doing it from cover to cover with the OG12, and GMATClub and OG 12 for the maths, including the wiki which really has great explanations for all the areas. Once in a while, when I wanted a measure of how I was doing, I took an MGMAT exam

WEEK BEFORE EXAM
By this stage I was fed up with the GMATs and found it incredibly tough to study. Took a couple of days off before really immersing myself back in the GMATs on the Monday.

Went through all the questions that I found hard according to my error log, and with the wiki / the forum was able to see explanations for the several different problems I had encountered. Wherever I had difficulty I did the gmatclub test specific for that section (This is why when I realised that this was a collection of the latter set, I started doing the ones from 1). Confidence rose quite a bit, but still was only getting 700 in the MGMAT exams. On the Friday before the exam I did the second GMAT Prep exam and scored 770 (Q 50, V49), whcih really boosted my confidence.

Day before exam I read and re read chineseburner's guide to the AWA - very useful

ON THE DAY
Couldnt sleep, in fact although I was in bed at 11pm I fell asleep at 2, and woke up at 6 since I was quite nervous. Took some acai and green tea juice (acai is a brazilian energiser - really good) and some nuts to have during the breaks - really helped.

AWA went well, didnt expect problems there anyway since I am a native english speaker (if there are mistakes here I apologise, but really not in the sharpest state of mind). Took the break and rested for a bit before getting my thoughts focused on the Q part. Quantitative also went well and I was quite confident going into the Verbal part.. which then went terribly. Not sure why but SC seemed fine and RC and CR just werent clicking. Ended up with 720 (Q:49, V:39)

BOOKS USED (in order of quality)
- MGMAT SC book - DEFINITELY recommended, had a look around and widely considered (justly) the best one
- OG 12 - a must have as well
- GMAT CLUB wiki - really recommend people have a read of these, ended up being the main element in my studies for the maths section.
- Chineseburner's guide to AWA, including it here as its a resource I used and helpful with AWAs
- Nova GMAT - used this only for the prob and comb part
- Kaplan 800 - used this for a week only as practice questions, didnt find it to be difficult either, even though many people say its the hardest one out there
- Kaplan premier program - really didnt like the sections explaining the concepts in maths or how to tackle questions, felt it was very basic and didnt go into enough details. The questions are also on the easy side I felt.

TESTS DONE

tried to keep it in order:
1st Oct : GMAT PREP - 700 (badly in Q, did well in V)
m25 (28/37) 76% Percentile
m13 24 37 26%
m14 30 37 80%
m15 21 37 31%
m16 24 37 38%
30th Oct: MGMAT - 640 (Q39;V38)
31st Oct: MGMAT - 660 (Q44:V36)
m01 30 37 74%
m02 26 37 31%
m03 31 37 84%
m04 31 37 78%
6th Nov: MGMAT - 700 (Q46;V39)
m05 29 37 80%
m06 29 37 79%
13th Nov: MGMAT - 710 (Q46;V41)
23rd Nov: MGMAT - 700 (Q47;V38)
26th Nov; GMAT PREP - 770 (Q50:V49)
FINAL GMAT - 720 (Q49 V39)

ADVICE/WHAT I WISH I HAD DONE/ETC
Much of this is a repeat of what others have already said.. but it just shows how true it all is:

- I wasnt familiar with the best books to buy and where to study different things from. From what Ive seen the whole MGMAT set is actually pretty amazing, and in hindsight I probably would have just used them from day 1 and complemented them with the gmatclub tests. At the end of the day starting with Kaplan was really a waste of time where I could have been doing more of these tests

- Start early, I was quite ambitious in planning for 2 months of study, and when worked picked up it messed up all my plans. Starting early doesnt mean killing yourself from early on, just so that you get used to it and can do more practice questions

-keep the error log. You wont realise how useful it is until the last week, as you go through questions that you got wrong yet you can now easily solve (or if you cant you can see which spots you are weakest in)

-Dont get scared or demotivated by the results on the gmatclub tests. They are much harder than the real thing, and your persistence with them will show in the end. Also found that the MGMAT tests are harder than the real thing, even though in the end my score didnt reflect. ALWAYS go through all the explanations for the answers, even if you got the answers right. This holds for every type of question.

- Try to take a week off before the test. Alot of the test is about getting in the right mentality, and being able to focus entirely on it is key going into the exam

- Whatever time the exam is at, get used to thinking at this time. In the week off I studied mainly in the evening and at night, waking up at midday.. this really did not help as I had to wake up at 7 to be at the exam centre on time

Any questions let me know. Im sure I've missed quite a few key things
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB - Co 2013
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 8

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 09:00
congrats dude...Party time!!! :)

Respect,
Vaibhav

PS: Correct me if I am wrong.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 09:02
Unfortunately caught a cab straight to work.. but Im already dreaming of the beer tonight watching real vs barcelona!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 09:14
score is nt all that bad man!!go easy on yourself. .
and ya enjoy your application process :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 08:43
good score
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 44

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 00:51
Great
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 21

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 05:10
Good score: where are you apllying?
(I enjoyed Barca real too!!!)

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 05:28
Congrats dude 8-) 8-) .. I will be writing my GMAT next month and hope to make it there in the 700s too.. :| :|

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 05:30
good luck: I hope we will see your results in the forum :P

Manager
Manager
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 09:08
Hearties congrats dear :) and thanks for gr8 debrief
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 09:32
congrats!!!! gr8 score...
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 11:22
drisss wrote:
good luck: I hope we will see your results in the forum :P

Thanks

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 02:12
drisss wrote:
Good score: where are you apllying?
(I enjoyed Barca real too!!!)

Applying to Wharton, Chicago and LBS, only got like a month to get everything done so will be tough!

and btw.. i ended up REALLY not enjoying the game..

maddy2u wrote:
Congrats dude 8-) 8-) .. I will be writing my GMAT next month and hope to make it there in the 700s too.. :| :|

Gd luck!
Manager
Manager

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 03:37
lol... I see we are from opposite football sides :p
Good luck with your applications, one month is short but just focus on that !
Can I ask why you chose those BS and not others (such as INSEAD, HBS, MIT S, etc...). I am curious as it may help me for my choice (I plan to apply in 2 years from now)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 17:27
hi i'm ravi i'm a begginer of gmat and not perfect either in quants and verbal could u pls suggest any books so that i can get score of 650+
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 21

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 04:03
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Ravi,

I suggest you spend some time on the forum it self, on the GMAT Books, etc... there are plenty of informations.
I work in MGMAT SC guide and Kaplan premier, if this can help you
good luck

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 08:49
drisss wrote:
Hey Ravi,

I suggest you spend some time on the forum it self, on the GMAT Books, etc... there are plenty of informations.
I work in MGMAT SC guide and Kaplan premier, if this can help you
good luck

Thanks dude have a great carrier i wish u all the best for ur future
Manager
Manager

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 08:50
don't thank me, kudo me :P

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 11:44
Hi,

First of all let me congratulate you on your score. Biggger things are in store for you. And thanks again for posting an excellent debrief. I would really like your help regarding the quant section which is my weakness. You said u relied on GMAT Club Wiki to increase ur quant performance. Can you help me figure out where to find the gmat club wiki and how to use it. I cant figure out what you mean by GMAT club wiki. Please help me . I would really appreciate it. I have a month and a half to go and really need to increase my performance in quant.

Thanks in advance.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 14:52
Hi stocks,

Which books did you use for CR and RC questions?

Thanks!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Re: 720 (Q:49, V:39) - thanks gmatclub   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2010, 14:52