Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 02:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 18:25
sarangadhar wrote:
nervousgmat - thanks for very detailed post..

what books have concepts.. I am very new to this prep.. i have nearly 6 months of tiem to prepare. So, i would like medium fastness in start but strong base..

I would recommend Manhattan GMAT guides. They guide you through every step of the preparation process. I especially recommend the SC guide and quant guides for people who have been out of the math world for a while.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 23:08
nervousgmat wrote:
sarangadhar wrote:

what books have concepts.. I am very new to this prep.. i have nearly 6 months of tiem to prepare. So, i would like medium fastness in start but strong base..

I would recommend Manhattan GMAT guides. They guide you through every step of the preparation process. I especially recommend the SC guide and quant guides for people who have been out of the math world for a while.

Thanks nervousgmat. In addition to regular GMAT books, are there any english grammar books that detail the concepts? Also, in quant, do you suggest any? Since I ahve ample of time, I would like to build the fundas strongly..
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 91 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
sarangadhar wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:
sarangadhar wrote:

Thanks nervousgmat. In addition to regular GMAT books, are there any english grammar books that detail the concepts? Also, in quant, do you suggest any? Since I ahve ample of time, I would like to build the fundas strongly..

Sorry, sarangadhar, but I didn't use any guides other than Manhattan GMAT and Princeton "Cracking the GMAT" which had very basic concepts in there. I recommend it if you really want to refresh the fundas.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 09:35
Try 'The Elements of Style'. It's a pretty small book with all important concepts explained. It also has a list of commonly misused words that I have seen in SC. Hopefully is one of them. It tells you the word, then explains why it's wrong. It's much easier for me to understand it that way.

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-Fo ... 414&sr=8-2

I've also heard a lot of prise for Manhattan GMAT (red cover) SC book.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 12:01
nervousgmat -
Couple of days back I glanced thru the cracking GMAT in a library.. To me, it seems to have superficial information.. Of course, I did not go thru the questions and explanations.. Manhattan would have been good; I am yet to look into it.

But, these are the regular GMAT prep books that I wanted to read once I grasp the fundas from general grammar books..

asdert -
"Elements of style" -- no doubt its an exceptional book. However, it doesn't have a structure in terms of arrangement of concepts. Essentially a collection of the bits and pieces of advice that Strunk and White considered most important . "What about the rules those are not important in normal usage? Where to start with basic rules (that we might have forgotten to use, since we read them years ago)? Where we are heading on?” such questions will rise in mind as I read this book.

Thanks to both of you for the reponse..

I am looking for a grammar book that covers basic, intermediate, and above intermediate. Of course, i think, I'll not be able to understand advanced rules. Rather, better I learn basic and intermediate rules to perfection.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 12:52
I support the Manhattan SC book and Elements of Style. Both have helped me greatly!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 13:29
Elements of style is good for writing and I especially love that chapter about commonly misused words.

However, I don't think it helps much with sentence correction. I think the combination of a primer such as PR and the mgmat SC book is more than enough to ace the gmat sentence correction.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2007, 00:30
Thanks to everyone, for the responses.

I believe this thread was a "sticky". Just wanted to highlight the forum admin's, if it was accidentally made unsticky.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 13:11
Nervous,
I'm in the same boat as you. I am taking MGMAT's online classes and they keep stressing that I should take notes during CR and RC. I think it uses more time than it saves.
Did you use that strategy anywhere, or did you not take notes for either CR or RC?
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 19:17
sonibubu wrote:
Nervous,
I'm in the same boat as you. I am taking MGMAT's online classes and they keep stressing that I should take notes during CR and RC. I think it uses more time than it saves.
Did you use that strategy anywhere, or did you not take notes for either CR or RC?

I did not take notes for CR and RC. I tried this strategy but it didn't work for me. My instructors said that you gotta go with what works for you. If you find that writing down key words/phrases to organize you thoughts helps you to answer the questions better, go for it. If you feel as it is a waste of time and you perform better without writing anything down, don't! With practice, you will find a happy medium for you!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 10:23
I have done the manhattan sentence correction book twice and gone through the all the accompanying questions. I cant seem to improve my scores. I am reading some grammar lessons and taking notes. I just ordered the powerscore sentence correction bible. Once I beat the sentence correction section- I will have verbal in my pocket. If I can do almost all teh sentence correction questions in my og books and verbal supplements is that a good measure of me mastering the topic? Can anyone tell me of any tips to crack the sentence correction section. It seems the more I study the worse it gets.. I am devoting the time it needs to get it done but jsut need a good strategy. HELP HELP HELP
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 10:53
alot of this sentence correction stumbles come from a lack of grammar lessons. I am wondering if there is a place for me to go to learn all the rules being testes for SC. Also , I learn through examples and not the lingo of what the names of each tested rule is. Can anyone help?

ALso has anyone had a chance to use powerscore sentence correction bible? I just ordered it and am pretty eager to use it and nip this sentence correction thing in the bud!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 01:10
Very good list of idioms. Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2008, 20:08
Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2008, 04:41
Hey thanks a ton for these useful tips. It is a great starter!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 06:58
wow great list
VP
VP

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 17:48
You are welcome guys. Good luck with your prep!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 10:58
Thanks a lot man, this is good to start with.
Intern
Intern

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2008, 00:08
Thanks nervousgmat. This is very useful. I am starting my prep for 2nd gmat attempt. I had given it in feb 08 and scored 660. I got just 34 in verbal. I have to improve this. I have 7 weeks. I'm planning to give it again in august. (fyi :wink: )
Intern
Intern

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 22:12
Hi,

I have joined new to the club. i am poor in verbal section. kindly suggest me how to improve my verbal section.

I am not able to view the " idioms" from the link of nervousgmat.is the data from the link has been moved? please suggest any other alternate way to get it. Kindly help me.

Thanks and regards
Prashanth
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2008, 22:12