Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 12:57
Mgmat SC and Power Score Bible and RC 99

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 10:46
thanks for the SC document!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2011, 13:31
Thanks for co-operation
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 08:16
Thanks a lot! This is really helpful...I've been struggling with the verbal section and am hopeful that your advice and files will help :)
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 12:11
i have been performing very poorly in RC. I will try your method and see if it works

Thanks,
LC
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 02:31
I would recommend, reading up the Manhattan guides, shifting focus to the OG and then solving as many problems as possible on this forum. The explanations given on this forum are the best and I personally have benefited a lot from it. Bear in mind though that it would require a fair amount of dedication and concerted effort to achieve a very high Verbal score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 21:20
I agree MGMAT guides are the best. for verbal.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 10:51
Wow! Thanks for sharing your strategy nervousgmat!

Looking for Kudos :)

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 134

GMAT Tests User
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 02:47
Would anybody know how one's Manhattan Verbal corresponds to the actual GMAT? I've been getting V40-45 on the last 4 MGMAT's (increased steadily by a point each time). However, I wrote the GMAC CD test # 2 yesterday, and got V42.

I was hoping to at least get in the 43 range on Wednseday, when I rewrite, but felt that the GMAC test was easier than the actual GMAT from what I remember.

So far, here's what I've been getting (I tried the score calculator which put me at 700, as I ranked myself "average test performance" on the last bar - I tend to get nervous on D-Day).

GMAC 1: 710 (Inflated because of OG question repeats)
Veritas (free): 680, M43, V40
MGMAT 1: 700, M44, V41
MGMAT 2: 700, M46, V40,
Princeton (free): 700, M47, V40
MGMAT 3: 740 M47, V44
Knewton (free): 650 (M38 V43 - very surprised by this, especially since I felt the math was simpler)
MGMAT 4: 750 (M47, V45 - repeat questions inflated both sections)
GMAC # 2: 720 (M47, V42)

Where do you guys approximate I'm heading with Verbal? Test is this coming Wednesday, so nothing drastic can be done of course.

A.

How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Intern
Intern

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 06:29
Thanks, it's quite informative.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 19:56
thanks for posting this download
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 02:33
Thanks a lot! I am in my prep at the moment and wish i would be a native speaker.. :D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 20:04
Thanks for the advice. Verbal is troubling me quite alot. I did all the things mentioned by you in my prep, but still I am struggling with Verbal. I am 1 month away from my test date. Please guide me through. I am scoring V35-38 and want to score V42+
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 19:36
This post received
KUDOS
nervousgmat wrote:
Some members PMed me with a request to describe my study strategy for verbal in more detail, so here it goes:

As I stated in my original post, my preparation started with MGMAT on-line course. I highly recommend it for busy bees who can’t structure GMAT preparation on their own and/or need additional push to study. It’s a great course not only because it offers amazing study materials but also because the study curriculum is very intense and forces you to study every spare minute you get.

GENERAL:
I followed the curriculum of MGMAT which assigns problems from the OG topic by topic. I think this strategy is great as it allows you to truly “get” the concepts and recognize the patterns that GMAT employs to trick you.
I also read Princeton Review’s Crack the GMAT verbal section but didn’t find it very useful for anyone aiming to score above 35 in verbal.
I bought Kaplan 800 book hoping to see some tough questions. It does have tough questions only I don’t think they are representative of the types of questions you’ll see on GMAT. RC was all right. I do not recommend doing CRs and SCs from that book.

Recommendation: participate in forums but don’t just answer questions by saying “it’s E” or “definitely D”. Instead, try to explain WHY you feel that the choice you are selecting is a correct one. Explanation of the answer choices makes you analyze the questions and understand the concepts much better. Trust me, you will improve rather quickly if you participate in discussions in a meaningful way.
Do verbal sets 21-30 in 75 minutes. They are great even though often times they don’t have correct answers. Wrong answers can be frustrating but sets are very representative of the types of questions you’ll see on the real test plus you can always search for the correct answers on the forums.

SC:
The only teaching guide that I found useful was a Manhattan GMAT guide. I reread it at least three times and referred to it when I couldn’t explain why the right answer choice is in fact correct. MGMAT SC guide = Bible for SC. For practice I did all of the OG11 guide and the OG verbal workbook. Make sure you create an error log of all the SCs you got wrong and come back to them in a month or so. I guarantee that you will make the same mistakes again. Make sure you understand the correct answer. If you still don’t know why a certain answer choice is right, search the forums or post your question. A lot of times you will learn a piece of information that you never knew before. Idioms are important. Learn as many as you can! I am attaching an example of the idioms file that I found on the net below.

Once you learned the concepts, focus on strategy, such as 2/3 splits, scanning the choices for an error tested, etc. I can’t emphasize enough that one should learn the concepts first and then learn the tricks. Knowing only the tricks will not get you far. GMAT questions are designed to fool you, so learn your basics first. Then practice, practice, and practice again! There is tons of material out there. Try 1000 SCs and the brutal SCs (see the attachement).

CR:
This one should be the easiest for the international test-takers like me. You don’t have to know the grammar or spelling here. It’s really ALL about the logic. I didn’t do much for CRs as CR was the strong category in verbal for me. I did buy the Powerscore’s CR Bible book based on the glowing reviews I saw about this book. I think I read about 30 pages and then decided that it wasn’t for me. I simply got bored. What I can say about this book is that it covers pretty much all types of CRs and provides good examples of each. Then it gives you a mini quiz so that you “get it”. Overall, it’s a good book for the students trying to master the CRs. Again, learn the concepts first, then practice.
I thought the timed tests in 1000 CR docs were superb. Do as many of those tests as you can.

RC:
Probably the toughest verbal part for me largely due to timing issues. I tried to follow the approach recommended by MGMAT (taking notes as you read) but that only put me in the deeper timing hole and distracted me quite a bit. What worked for me is the following approach: I read the first and last paragraphs of the passage very carefully, rephrasing each sentence in my head and making sure that I understand what it is that the author is trying to convey. I also read 1-2 sentences in other paragraphs to
Visualize the structure of the paragraph, e.g. OK, the 1st paragraph claims X, the 2nd says it’s not necessarily so, the 3rd says that in majority cases the X still holds true, and the final paragraph concludes that although X happens 99% of the time, it’s foolish to think that X is always bound to happen. Knowing the structure of the paragraph allows you to answer the general “tone of the author” and “the main idea” questions. So basically by using this strategy, you will be capable of answering the 50% of RC questions easily.

While reading the 1-2 sentences in the beginning of each paragraph, scan the rest of the text in between, looking out for the keywords such as names, dates, and other stand-out words. When you encounter an inference or a detailed question, you will know exactly where to go in the paragraph. You might ask why is this a time-saver if you have to go back and read the text again. Well, the truth is that even if you carefully read the text the first time around, GMAT’s inference/support questions are so detailed that most of the time you will have to go back to read the lines anyway. If you didn’t waste time on reading them the first time around, you will end up actually saving some time for yourself.

Another tip: don’t get intimidated by the technical terminology that you are not familiar with. Most native speakers would know nothing of a COX-3 inhibitor or some complex word you encounter in the text. Just try to rephrase the term into something you can understand or worst comes to worst, substitute the unfamiliar word for something you know, a.k.a. “turnip” = “tulip” and move on. GMAT is not ever going to ask you what turnip means. It might, however, ask you what it’s used for or where it was first found which you would know! How did I practice? OGs are the best sources for RCs. But I thought that 3000 RC document was “on the money” too. Do not take more than 2 minutes per question when you practice. What I mean by that is f you have a paragraph with 7 questions, do not take more than 14 minutes on reading and answering the questions. If you have 3 questions, do not take more than 6 minutes on the entire thing, etc…

To sum up, always learn the concepts first. Take as much time to learn them as you need. Buy all the books you have to buy but build a solid base first. Then practice, practice and practice in a timed setting. You will “feel” when you have to mark a choice and move on very soon and thus will have fewer issues with time management. You will find out that SCs are real time-savers. If you practice enough, you will be able to do most of the SCs in under 1 minute. It might sound crazy but it’s true. Create an error log. After a while you will be able to see the pattern of the mistakes you make and the areas you make them in. The error log will be your best teacher! Do participate in the forum discussions. You will “meet” a lot of smart people and learn from them.

OK! So these are my tips. Please don’t judge my writing too harshly as I didn’t double-check it for spelling or grammar issues (it’s getting late and I need to go to sleep to get up for work tomorrow). I hope you find my recommendations helpful and GOOD LUCK with your GMAT!

Just want to update the Brutal SCs with new formatting and numbering, I notice that there are some errors with the answer. Just double check it by googling every time you do the SC! Due to time constrain, I couldn't fix all of them.
Attachments

Brutal_SCs.doc [76.5 KiB]
Downloaded 44 times

To download please login or register as a user

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 22:51
a3d wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I have done most of the things you suggested still some weakness, probably more practise is needed and yet the time is running out!

I just tried two of the SETS that you have mentioned. Indeed they have good questions, I did find some with incorrect answers. The problem is my error rate on them simply sucked when I forced my self to time. 62% and 67% respectively on the two I completed. How bad is that bad.. I wonder.. to me it just sucks to see myself making mistakes with such consitancy..

where can i do these SETS ? can you please tell me
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 22

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
Apart from OG and Verbal review, what other sources are recommended for practicing CR questions???
Intern
Intern

Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 12:37
Hello , my score is different than yours , I got 11 in verbal and 42 in quant , please advice me how to improve my verbal score. Thanks in advance

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.97

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 37

CAT Tests
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 08:15
Thanks for your post and detailing your strategies for each section. RC strategy was good to know.
Re: 720 (Q42, V47): HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2014, 08:15