Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time.....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 19:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ok so I just got back from the testing center a little while ago, my test was at 6:30 PM since there weren’t any other slots.

I feel great about the 720 and it was definitely at the top of my GMAT prep range but I still wish I had a “knock your socks off” score to help with my low GPA, but I’ll take it.

So I prepped for about 3 months. I started raw with the Veritas Prep online class. It helped get the gears going and I had a great teacher (David Newland.) The class lasted 7 weeks and half way through I felt I wasn’t really all there so I bought the MGMAT books as well. The overlap was key for me. I started the MGMAT guides as if I knew nothing and then supplemented with tid bits from the Veritas books.

Of course with all this I used the OG 12 and both supplementary guides.

Some test scores:

MGMAT 1: 590 (no prep)

After this I thought I was screwed, especially after reading all the great scores on gmatclub. It seemed the big boys all started with great scores on their first few tests.

MGMAT 2: 640 (after one month prep)

This was better but still not very motivating for me.

GMAT Prep 1:640
Retake: 660

GMAT prep2: 700
Retake 730

With the above info I concluded that my range on test day would be 680-720.
Luckily I performed at the top of my ability.

For the essays I just read a couple the day before and wrote them on my practice tests. That said, I don’t know how I did.

Tips.

The number one thing is live and breath GMAT, I don’t post a lot but I was a lurker and read all of the debriefs and stories.

Keep you eyes on the prize. When I first started I kept the NYU admissions book next to me. I have since eliminated NYU from my list but the idea of reaching their average GMAT and beating other people kept me motivated.

Keep track of pacing; know where the timer should be when on a certain question.

When I studied I went hard for 3+ hours if time permitted, this helped me stay alert the whole test, I was there 100% at the end.

While the MGMAT books are great they do lack some things, if you find yourself blowing a few question types look for supplemental info on gmat club. (I used some of Bunuel’s factor equations on the real GMAT)

TEST DAY:

I have to say that the test felt odd, I honestly didn’t think the questions fit any patterns from the OG. The quant disguised things very well. The verbal was convoluted and there were several question stems that I had never seen in the OG guides. It scared me but I was sure of enough questions to keep my confidence up.

I always struggled with timing on my tests at home, maybe having to guess on the last 2 or 3 on each section on average. That did not happen this time, if I didn’t know something I just skipped it. I did that about 3 times on quant and once for verbal. I ended up well ahead of pace on the today and took my time for the last few questions of each section.

One of the biggest takeaways for me personally is that the high scores you see on this website are awesome but they are a small sample and skewed. If anyone is going do well on a test it’s going to be someone who reaches out and becomes a part of this sort of a community. Those 750/760 scores were discouraging as I got my 6XXs on GMAT prep tests but they are bloated.

I’m am by no means a nerd and have never done great on tests; I am a firm believer that anyone can do well on this test with enough hours of practice. At the higher levels it’s about doing hard questions fast.

I will be happy to answer any and all questions. I feel I owe all you guys for helping me in many ways. I stayed motivated and kept my eyes on the prize by visiting Gmatclub several times a day.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 103

Kudos [?]: 206 [1] , given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 02:00
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 53

GMAT Tests User
Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 02:59
This post received
KUDOS
jordanhendrix wrote:

I feel great about the 720 and it was definitely at the top of my GMAT prep range but I still wish I had a “knock your socks off” score to help with my low GPA, but I’ll take it....

While the MGMAT books are great they do lack some things, if you find yourself blowing a few question types look for supplemental info on gmat club. (I used some of Bunuel’s factor equations on the real GMAT)

720 is a great score anyway you look at it. Congratulations.

How would you compare the quant section of the MGMAT tests with the real GMAT? As you mentioned some questions are not covered in the MGMAT guides any other types you feel one should practice?

And, lastly it would be great if you could share with us any notes that you prepared along the way. Really need as much help I can get for the quant section of the test. My aim is a little more modest (q46-q47), since I manage to score Q44 on the MGMAT tests.

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 05:43
This post received
KUDOS
6:30PM, wow you must gotten out of the test center at midnight??? :lol:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 84 [2] , given: 66

Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 06:41
This post received
KUDOS
^^I got there a little early, left at 10. I couldn't even get another time slot around these two weeks. All the 8:30s and 11:00s were taken well in advance so be sure to book your test early if you need a certain slot.

Akaydee:
The MGMAT guides dropped the ball on DS, I used Veritas. MGMAT covers the OG well but some concepts in SC and CR were clearer in the Veritas books. As a whole Manhattan SC was much better.

As far as the MGMAT tests vs the real GMAT, they are both hard for sure, MGMAT questions were a little more complex then what I saw on test day. GMAT is really good at hiding a pattern or simple principle while MGMAT just seemed more obvious. I think with 44s on the MGMAT test you could get a rocking score on the real deal for a couple of reasons. First MGMAT questions generally take more time than OG questions; second they are a little harder. But having said that picking up on the subtleties of GMAT is key for both quant and obviously verbal.
The math section is actually quite beautiful if you think about its trickery, many times during my prep I was dumbfounded by how easy certain problem were, while I did them a hard/stupid way.

I made some very specific notes for myself, I doubt they would be any help, if I saw something I wasn’t sure of I just wrote it down on a sheet of paper, definitely not class notes that would be a help to anyone other than me.

Oh and keep an error log, I just circled questions in the MGMAT guide I got wrong and did them again 2x later.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 473 [1] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Nicely done, jordanhendrix! You have a very good score on your hands. And thanks for coming back to answer questions. We appreciate it. :)

It's also good to see that you incorporated an Error Log. Some people, though, make theirs way too intricate. But yours is preferable. Simple and straightforward.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS
Awesome score dude!

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 47

Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 12:41
Nicely done congrats and good luck to the rest of the staff
Current Student

Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 13:09
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 14

Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 20:53
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations! There are very few people who have exceeded their practice scores on the real test.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Booth
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 21:40
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 2

Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats and all the best with applications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 112

Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 02:44
wish One month down I am able to put up a similar show ....cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 00:47
wow!
Current Student

Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time..... [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 15:39
thanks all!, now its on to the apps......

Re: 720 (Q49, V39) be gentle its my first time.....   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2010, 15:39