Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 720(Q50, V37) - Totally bummed!! [#permalink]
Thanks whiplash! On all my practice tests, I scored a V45, except for one test in which I scored a V39. What happened yesterday was quite unexpected!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
It's alright. The Verbal on the GMAT is actually a tad bit more complex than the ones on the practice tests and GMAT Prep. It's not very visible at first glance, but I realized this because I remember being stuck on a CR question where two options were literally saying the same thing, and then I realized they had a play on words (like using hopefully, vs. I hope so type thing though it wasn't exactly that) and I figured that was the wrong option, lol.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hmmm...But that still doesn't explain the 8 point drop. I can understand a 4-5 point drop, but 8 points...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
It happens. Really. I understand that you're disappointed, but it's still a good score. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Whilst 720 is "good", I think given your practice scores and your disappointment, you should retake. Perhaps schedule earlier in the day if you found fatigue an issue. Let us know how it goes!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.94
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I also agree that retaking would be beneficial for you. It seems that your body condition during the test was the main factor in your lower-than-average score (which, I agree with everyone, is a great score, but I understand your frustration and disappointment), and you have the potential to do well on the GMAT with little extra preparation. Now that your body is accustomed to the actual testing environment, you will hopefully perform up to your expectation in the next attempt!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Marketing Analytics/Consulting
Schools:Kellogg
 Q51  V36
Send PM
Hey buddy,

Hope you are doing gr8..

Well, I am in the similar situation as u are.. infact I think i m in a far worse one ..

I took another shot at GMAT after 2 yrs (oh no, i dint prepare 4 2yrs man); At that time I had scored 720 and this time also I scored 720 ...

Here is the thread: from-720-to-720-bump-life-comes-full-circle-118901.html

It might not reflect my disappointment, but I am very much sad and disappointed.. My plans have gone haywire because of this score ... I was hopeful of a 750/760 ..

If it is, it'll be my 3rd attempt.. and dat itself sounds scary, so I am kinda done with the GMAT now ...

Cheers!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
bschool2014 wrote:
I'm a coffee drinker and I usually get my last caffeine fix for the day at around 5:30 pm. I had my last cup at around 2pm and left for the test center. My plan was to get a Starbuck coffee just before the test, but as luck would have it the nearest Starbucks was closed and I couldn't find another coffee shop around. So I decided to go in without the caffeine. I'm not sure if this played a role in my poor concentration in the verbal section.

I started the test at around 5:15 pm and cranked out 2 essays for the AWA.

I gotta be honest - and maybe this is just me, but starting the test at 5:15 does not seem like an ideal time to schedule your appointment. In my opinion (and people are entitled to disagree with me, obviously), that's setting yourself up for exactly what happened to you. Unless you are on a completely reversed biological cycle (i.e.) work from 10 PM - 6 AM, sleep from 9 AM - 4 PM, or something like that, then I think waiting to start a GMAT until so late in the day is really setting yourself up for failure. Even if that's when you're used to taking your CATs (post-work, or whatever), you can't reasonably expect similar levels of stress/relaxation on test day. When you know you're sitting for the real thing your hormone and adrenaline levels are naturally going to get a little crazy.

I think if you rescheduled for a morning appointment, when you're more refreshed and have more energy, you'd have a much higher likelihood of scoring well. Just my 2 cents!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
ebonn101 wrote:
bschool2014 wrote:
I'm a coffee drinker and I usually get my last caffeine fix for the day at around 5:30 pm. I had my last cup at around 2pm and left for the test center. My plan was to get a Starbuck coffee just before the test, but as luck would have it the nearest Starbucks was closed and I couldn't find another coffee shop around. So I decided to go in without the caffeine. I'm not sure if this played a role in my poor concentration in the verbal section.

I started the test at around 5:15 pm and cranked out 2 essays for the AWA.

I gotta be honest - and maybe this is just me, but starting the test at 5:15 does not seem like an ideal time to schedule your appointment. In my opinion (and people are entitled to disagree with me, obviously), that's setting yourself up for exactly what happened to you. Unless you are on a completely reversed biological cycle (i.e.) work from 10 PM - 6 AM, sleep from 9 AM - 4 PM, or something like that, then I think waiting to start a GMAT until so late in the day is really setting yourself up for failure. Even if that's when you're used to taking your CATs (post-work, or whatever), you can't reasonably expect similar levels of stress/relaxation on test day. When you know you're sitting for the real thing your hormone and adrenaline levels are naturally going to get a little crazy.

I think if you rescheduled for a morning appointment, when you're more refreshed and have more energy, you'd have a much higher likelihood of scoring well. Just my 2 cents!

I agree with Ebonn. I would drive crazy if I had all day to think about my GMAT in the evening - the anxiety and nervousness will sky rocket by the time GMAT time comes, and also the thoughts and the feeling of being blank all day will tire me. If scheduled for morning, before you have the time to be anxious, you will be already taking your test. Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I agree with both the opinions above.

I waited for a month and kept checking for available appointments everyday. Finally I got an appointment for 1 pm! Its the perfect time. Not too early, not too late!

After taking 16 mocks already, I have realized that stamina issues and poor concentration affect performance more than does the difficulty of the questions. Plus the added pressure of the real GMAT, sitting away from your comfort zone, being watched on every second, time issues, etc. These all are major impediments to our performance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
When you took your CATs, did you write your AWA's as well? Its crucial that you mimic your practice CAT experience similar to the actual GMAT. In fact, try not to take the 10 min break during your practice CATs, as it will increase your stamina. Also, another factor that could play in is the snacks you had. Perhaps eat more chocolate and a large booster juice!

I suggest another retake just because your practice tests are almost consistent in terms of verbal score. Good luck mate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Marketing Analytics/Consulting
Schools:Kellogg
 Q51  V36
Send PM
@bschool2014

Buddy, do let me know what you decide on the retake?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
720 is a fantastic score! It should be very competitive even at the best schools. Congratulations -- I think you are being too hard on yourself. This is my opinion -- but beyond a certain number (700+) -- the gmat score is not that big a deal.

My buddy and I were joking around the other day -- and he said the only place where your *actual* score matters is if you want to work for a test prep company like Manhattan (that only hires people in the 99th percentile -- 760+). The GMAT is only one component of your application -- and a 720 score means the box next to GMAT has been ticked.

I humbly disagree with the good people on this thread who have suggested you re-take the exam. You got a 720 -- not a 670 or 680 (your typical borderline scores). I would think that putting that effort into your essays, recommendation letters, interviews and so on will reap better rewards. Ad coms realize that GMAT is a standardized test with a 30 point SD -- people have good days and bad days and some are naturally better test takers than others.
Current Student
Send PM
If you're applying this fall, esp R1, I wouldn't retake. If R2, R3, or especially next fall, retaking is a no-brainer. Given that your quant scores are steady around 50, there's no reason to expect you won't score 49-51 on quant on a re-take. Verbal will likely be above 40, and you'll probably be sitting with a nice solid 750. Yes, GMAT is just a number that has a standard deviation, etc. etc., but there's no reason not to make that number the highest it can possibly be if it won't take away from essay work or anything else. A 760 or 770 will do a lot more for you in terms of "checking the box" than a 720. And as a non-native speaker, crushing the verbal portion would be awesome! Don't get me wrong, I think your stats are fine, you have a killer GPA and great score already with a 720. But since you so clearly seem intent that you could have scored much higher, and (in my opinion), your test was poorly scheduled so late in the day, why not give it another shot if possible?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks to everyone who replied!

I'm targeting two schools in R1 and four in R2. True, I've a great undergrad GPA and a competitive score on the GMAT. However, I belong to the over represented Indian IT pool. I can't do anything to change my demographic, but I think if I can score 750-760 on a retake, it may propel me ahead a bit. I don't think I've to pour hours into the preparation. I think if I keep up with an hour a day to stay in touch and take 1 CAT a week, I should be able to pull it off. I feel given my practice scores, I had a bad test day; Looking back I think I did a number of things wrong on the test day - change my caffeine schedule, schedule the test at the end of the day etc. and these should be relatively simple to fix in the retake.
Thanks again guys!
Current Student
Send PM
bschool2014 wrote:
Thanks to everyone who replied!

I'm targeting two schools in R1 and four in R2. True, I've a great undergrad GPA and a competitive score on the GMAT. However, I belong to the over represented Indian IT pool. I can't do anything to change my demographic, but I think if I can score 750-760 on a retake, it may propel me ahead a bit. I don't think I've to pour hours into the preparation. I think if I keep up with an hour a day to stay in touch and take 1 CAT a week, I should be able to pull it off. I feel given my practice scores, I had a bad test day; Looking back I think I did a number of things wrong on the test day - change my caffeine schedule, schedule the test at the end of the day etc. and these should be relatively simple to fix in the retake.
Thanks again guys!

If in your shoes, I would apply to my 2 safety schools in R1 with your current score. Retake and apply with your improved score in R2.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for your suggestion ebonn101. Sounds like a good plan..
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts