Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730 (49Q/41V)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

730 (49Q/41V) [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2006, 10:29
Hi new friends!

I'm happy to say I'm done with the Beast. I mean, the test. Score breakdown:

Q: 49 (90%)
V: 41 (93%)
T: 730 (97%)

Here are the things I wish I would have known before taking the test:

1) THE MARKERS AND NOTEBOARD OFFERED BY PEARSON VUE SUCKED. By far the most infuriating part of the test was the stupid pen given to use on the erasable noteboards. Depending on the amount of pressure you put on it and the angle at which you were writing, the pen simply would make no mark on the noteboard. Needless to say this wasted precious time, and I had to ask for a new pen 3 times. I was so mad, and I would suggest that when taking a practice exam, see if you can practice on these types of noteboards. At least you'll know what to expect :-).

2) I did not get one single probability question. I have no idea how or why, and I know everyone gets different Q's, but I thought it would be something good to share.

3) If you need them, BRING YOUR OWN EARPLUGS. The testing center I was at offered them to me, but they were cheap and I'm pretty sure gave me some kind of ear infection. I'm easily distracted though, so I was grateful not to have to hear the clickity clickity of the 10 other people in the room.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but please email me or post a reply if there is anything else anyone would like to know.

I'm very grateful to the members of this forum; the insight from so many people proved invaluable during the test. There's a ton to be said about seeing the thinking process from so many different people. Namely, you open yourself up to new ways of thinking. Thanks to everyone!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2006, 10:42
I just want to reiterate the point about the markers- seriously, they're awful. I truly can't emphasize enough how much time I wasted shaking the pen, trying different angles in futile attempts for the pen to make a mark, cursing the creators of the pen, etc. Its is a completely different experience from writing in mechanical pencil.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2006, 12:02
How much time did you prepare for the test and what materials did you use?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2006, 12:38
Congratulations!! I've been reading and participating in your verbal posts of recent. What did you find most helpful in verbal prep? I guess that question gets asked a lot, huh! How would you compare the math and verbal sections to the test materials you used? Good luck with your apps!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2006, 16:36
Hi Chapman-
I've been preparing for about 4 months, most intensely in the last month and a half. I started off with the Kaplan book and CDRom, which was great in that it gave me the basic tools on how best to approach each section, which eventually became second nature. Once I had the Kaplan method down and exhausted the practice tests, I downloaded 3 old actual GMAT exams which are no longer in rotation. These were definitely the most helpful in that they are the most representative of what was on the real exam, but did not offer explanations of the answers beyond what the correct answer was. Thats when this forum REALLY came in handy- any question I got wrong I posted on here, and got invaluable feedback.

If I had to do it all over again I would still get the Kaplan strategy down first, but not waste so much time taking tests whose content was only "representative" of GMAT questions. I'd probably buy more old ETS tests. There's a lot of those on the mba website that you can download. I would also have utilized this board much more than I did.

Buckkitty-
I found that learning about what was tested (parallelism, etc) and the strategies in the verbal Kaplan book most helpful initially. Using that, I was always able to at least eliminate wrong answers. Beyond that, honestly I found the Kaplan800 book to be the best prep for verbal- the questions were more difficult, but it really made me more sensitive to even the slightest verbal twists that could change the entire outcome of what the correct answer was. For RC especially, that book provides some of the hardest passages and questions-which made the actual passages on the test seem much easier.

Another suggestion would be to pinpoint what kind of verbal questions you have the hardest time with; and focus on reading posts on this site for those types of questions.

I hope that helped!
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2006, 09:47
Hey Beatriiz,

Excellent score dude :-D
I'm happy for you! Your hard work paid off !

All the very best for your applications :good

Cheers :beer
Intern
Intern

Re: 730 (49Q/41V) [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2006, 13:51
BARIDDLA wrote:
Hi new friends!

I'm happy to say I'm done with the Beast. I mean, the test. Score breakdown:

Q: 49 (90%)
V: 41 (93%)
T: 730 (97%)

Here are the things I wish I would have known before taking the test:

1) THE MARKERS AND NOTEBOARD OFFERED BY PEARSON VUE SUCKED. By far the most infuriating part of the test was the stupid pen given to use on the erasable noteboards. Depending on the amount of pressure you put on it and the angle at which you were writing, the pen simply would make no mark on the noteboard. Needless to say this wasted precious time, and I had to ask for a new pen 3 times. I was so mad, and I would suggest that when taking a practice exam, see if you can practice on these types of noteboards. At least you'll know what to expect :-).

2) I did not get one single probability question. I have no idea how or why, and I know everyone gets different Q's, but I thought it would be something good to share.

3) If you need them, BRING YOUR OWN EARPLUGS. The testing center I was at offered them to me, but they were cheap and I'm pretty sure gave me some kind of ear infection. I'm easily distracted though, so I was grateful not to have to hear the clickity clickity of the 10 other people in the room.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but please email me or post a reply if there is anything else anyone would like to know.

I'm very grateful to the members of this forum; the insight from so many people proved invaluable during the test. There's a ton to be said about seeing the thinking process from so many different people. Namely, you open yourself up to new ways of thinking. Thanks to everyone!

If you're recommending practicing with the sucky markers and whiteboards before hand, where can you get them?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2006, 07:55
Does the test results actually tell you how many questions you got right..
Like out of 37 math questions, how many you got right and how many you got wrong?

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

Intern
Intern

emba06 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2006, 13:13
Not sure where you can get the sucky markers and pen........I'll try to find out and post back:-)

bewakoof- No, the test results don't tell you how many you got right; just the weighted score. I just got my "official score report", and that tells you what the mean score is but does not break it down either.
Intern
Intern

eraseable boards [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2006, 13:23
I couldn't find anywhere to buy the same kind of eraseable noteboard; but I can tell you that the writing surface is very similar to those dry-erase calendars you can get at staples. The noteboards given by pearson are made using that greenish graph paper- laminating one of these would probably be the best way to simulate the exam. Then just take a fine tip dry-erase marker to write.

To really simulate exam conditions, leave the pen uncapped overnight and have 23 of your friends use it first. Sigh.
eraseable boards   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2006, 13:23