Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 07:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730, but low quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

730, but low quant [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 12:27
Hi,

So I took my first GMAT on Monday and am slightly dissappointed with the result. I got 730 (I forget the specifc Q/V scores but know I was in 97th percentile for verbal and 77% for quant, 6 on AWA). I got two 760's and a 750 on my kaplan practice tests, so was naturally slightly dissapointed by the 730. Also, my undergrad coursework was pretty maths intensive, and I did very well on all my quant subjects, so I feel like I should be in a higher bracket in terms of quant.

Anyhow, I am wondering wether I should retake the GMAT and try to boost my quant score.

I really want to have a fantastic GMAT because I work for the family business (small commodity trading firm) and not one of these McKinsey/GS feeder blue chips. I feel like I have to prove that my decision to come work for the family was not a cop out (which it wasn't! I've always only wanted to work for the family business).

Anyhow, my profile is as follows:

Post MBA goals:
- build a freight and commodities derivatives department so as to have the internal risk mgmt necessary to take riskier/more lucrative positions and so as to eventually offer risk mgmt services to third parties
- enter the oil market
- establish the first foreign office

GMAT: 730 (97th percentile V / 77% percentile Q / 6 awa)

Undergrad: 3.8 from a top 12 large private university (US News and World); although it is top 6 in econ. Majored in economics. Was selected for the econ honours program and won an award for my thesis. Completed a year abroad at London School of Economics.

Work Experience: by the time I matriculate, I will have 3 years of experience. 1 year as a paper-pushing clerk in the documentation and logistics/traffic department, and two years as a junior trader (physical commodities).
have also completed internships in commodity trading and investment banking in madrid, paris and london throughout undergrad years

Extracurricular: Compete at a regional level in martial arts.

Nationality: international/latin america

other qualifications: Am currently working towards becoming a chartered shipbroker. its kind of like the CFA for maritime transportation professionals. It should be compelted by the time I matriculate.

Languages: Spanish, English, French; all fluent

Anyhow, should I spend time trying to get a better quant score (which I KNOW I can do, since I did very well in advanced undergrad maths courses) or should I concentrate on the shipbroking exams/work/enjoying life?

I am dead set on HBS, so want to have as good a profile as I possibly can. I don't want there to be doubts regarding my mathematical abilities...

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by physicalcommodities on 19 Dec 2010, 05:45, edited 6 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 730, but low quant [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 12:31
Anyhow, yeah please review my profile, help me identify weaknesses, and maybe suggest some schools?

many thanks....
Re: 730, but low quant   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2010, 12:31