Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730 - Entrepreneur - Mexican - Please evaluate profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
WE 1: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
730 - Entrepreneur - Mexican - Please evaluate profile [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 11:18
GMAT - 730 (V44 Q47 AWA 5.5)
Mexican - B Business Administration average 83 out of 100 Mexican top 5 university
Experience - Entrepreneur... CEO & Founder Logistics Services Company March 2006 - Present
CEO & Founder Transportation Services Company (Trucks) September 2010 - Present

I started my own company while I was still studying. I took a bit longer at university (5.5 years instead of 4.5) and my grades suffered because I had to work.

Post - MBA goals... expand my business within Mexico immediately. I want to get into social entrepreneurship later in life.
EC - Involved with one NGO since February 2008. I coordinate medicine and fund raisers in my hometown.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
WE 1: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: 730 - Entrepreneur - Mexican - Please evaluate profile [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 11:25
I'm thinking of applying Rd 2 this year... Booth, Kellogg, Tuck, Ross, Anderson, Wharton, Yale. Any comments?
Manager
Manager
Schools: In: Emory, USC, Georgetown Out: Harvard, Wharton, Yale, UCLA WL: Kellogg
WE 1: Manager @ Fortune 100
WE 2: Manager @ World Famous Hotel
WE 3: Division Leader @ Real Estate Firm
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: 730 - Entrepreneur - Mexican - Please evaluate profile [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 21:56
Reimon-

In my opinion, you are a superb candidate for practically any MBA program! Besides having a great GMAT score, you are an entrepreneur twice over!

Focus on the WHY in your essays. Are you passionate about one/both of your businesses? Explain why. Create a link, a story. If you can do this, IMO, you are golden.
Expert Post
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: 730 - Entrepreneur - Mexican - Please evaluate profile [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 11:11
Expert's post
I think you have a competitive profile. Your grades are slightly below the top quartile for the more selective schools on your list (e.g. Wharton), but your GMAT score will give them comfort that you have the intellectual horsepower to handle the MBA coursework. I do agree with you that you should address your lower grades and explain that your grades suffered because you were working while going to school. The schools will take a close look at your transcripts, however, and if it appears that you struggled in business-oriented courses specifically then that will affect your chances.

Entrepreneurial abilities and experiences are valued by the schools on your list, but you will have to work hard in your essays and in interviews to show how you excelled and how you've grown from your experience. As much as schools appreciate young entrepreneurs, they must approach this brand of applicant with a healthy degree of skepticism because an "entrepreneur" is something of an unknown quantity. My point is that you must convey the quality of your professional experience in such a compelling way that you overcome the admissions committees' skepticism. This is a challenge that an applicant from an established, name brand firm doesn't have to overcome. That said, I'm guessing that as a career entrepreneur this won't be the first time you've had to work harder than your counterparts who are collecting a steady paycheck. Congratulations on following your own path!

One last thing, I'll mention is that from my experience, the schools don't receive enough applications from Mexico so that will work in your favor as well.

Best of luck with your applications!

If you'd like some additional guidance building an outstanding application, I hope you'll check out the video courses on the MBA Prep School website.

Tyler Cormney
MBA Prep School

MBA Prep School provides you with power tools for building a winning MBA application. Our on-demand admissions consulting videos and application prep tools will increase your chances of being accepted by your dream school.

Take the first step toward your dream school -- for Free!: http://mbaprepschool.com
Read our eBook: http://mbaprepschool.com/ebook
For GMAT Club Discounts: http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/mba-pr ... gmat-club/

Re: 730 - Entrepreneur - Mexican - Please evaluate profile   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2010, 11:11