Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730 first attempt from 560 first practice test in 3 months

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
730 first attempt from 560 first practice test in 3 months [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 22:43
As a premise, I literally just found this forum today as I was searching for some predictor of which MBA program would be a good fit. I read a few success stories on here, and I thought I would share mine as I'm still pretty pumped from finding out my score!

My story is pretty short. I'm finishing up a Finance degree and wanted to get the GMAT out of the way before I start full-time as I will be applying to business school within the next 2-4 years. I did a little research and decided that the 9-week online Manhattan GMAT course was the way to go. I consider myself reasonably intelligent so when I took my first Manhattan CAT and scored a 560, I realized I had some work to do. Over the past 12 weeks I have diligently completed every Manhattan book, over 600 practice questions, and 6 practice exams all with thorough review. Although my scores did improve I was disheartened when I flat-lined on my scores after the course was completed.

Here are my scores:
1st CAT - 560
2nd CAT - 640 (week 4)
3rd CAT - 700 (week 9)
4th CAT - 680 (week 9)
1st Official Practice Test - 680 (week 10) - this one scared me
5th CAT - 730 (45 Q, 45V) (week 11)
GMAT - 730 (48 Q, 42 V)

Just glancing over this forum it seems like everyone on here puts a lot of effort into figuring out the perfect formula for achieving their dream score. While I think some courses/programs may be better than others, it seems like in some cases too much effort is being placed on figuring out how you're going to study, not actually studying. My advice to everyone, just repeat the problems you miss over and over again until you get the correct answer in under two minutes using the best method - it's really not that complex. Thanks everyone for listening, still super pumped about my score and feel a little sick from my hangover after celebrating the fact that I'm finished with the GMAT!!! Open to any questions.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: 730 first attempt from 560 first practice test in 3 months [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 00:34
Hi eriginal! Congrats on your great score and welcome to GMAT Club!

My story seems to be developing a lot like yours. I gave my first diagnostic MGMAT test a month ago (BEFORE starting any prep) and got a 560.
After that, the first month went in Quants and now I am currently learning Verbal concepts. Next month will be practice tests, strategy, speed and stamina. Like you I'm consistently doing better on the Verbal than on the Quants but since I'm aiming circa 700 - 710 I think my Verbal should help my score much like it did for you.

Also good advice on practising wrong problems: this really helped me out as it helped me improve my thinking process with respect to time and also helped me feel good with the fact that I learnt a new way to look at a problem or a new technique to do an inequality.

So besides the MGMAT and OG material what else did you use as study and practice materials?
Did you identify specific weaknesses in Quants and what did you do to tackle them?

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: 730 first attempt from 560 first practice test in 3 months [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 07:53
The MGMAT and OG material was all I used, I didn't even touch the 2 supplement OG books that MGMAT sent me. However, I did use all of resources that they offered along with their course religiously, specifically the "Archer" program that tracks OG answers. This program helped me identify weak points (DS, Numb. Prop., Word Trans.) so that I could drill them in the 2 weeks leading up to exam. I also took diligent notes on EVERY chapter of every Quant MGMAT book I read/every online lecture MGMAT offered and collated the information into a 2-page guide Quant several days before the exam. This just made sure I didn't forget the simple formulas that I had learned at the beginning of the course. I do this for all of my exams in school and it has always worked wonders to boost my grades.

It definitely helped that I am naturally good at Verbal, I feel that this score would be harder to raise as there are no formulas you can learn. Good luck on your test and I hope that helps.
Re: 730 first attempt from 560 first practice test in 3 months   [#permalink] 13 May 2012, 07:53