Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730 GMAT, 3.595 GPA, Top 25 Undergrad + Law, 2x NFL Intern

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

730 GMAT, 3.595 GPA, Top 25 Undergrad + Law, 2x NFL Intern [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 03:42
What are my chances of admission to a Top 10 MBA program? I'm hispanic. My undergraduate GPA at Vanderbilt University was 3.595. Thereafter, I graduated from Emory University School of Law. Passed the Texas Bar Exam.

My GMAT score is a 730 (49Q, 42V), but that's after a 50 point improvement from prior 680 (47Q, 36V) from just a month ago. And, my history with standardized tests before hand is weak. My LSAT score was a 153 in the 59th percent and my SAT score was in the pathetic 1100s. It's a miracle I got into Vandy and Emory Law, much less graduate summa cum laude. Interestingly enough, I did win Vandy its first National Championship in college debate since the 1980s.

As for full time work experience, I don't have any. But, I have full-time internships with two NFL teams and a WNBA team. With the Tennessee Titans, I was in cheerleader marketing. With the Houston Texans, I was in community development. With the Houston Comets, I was in corporate sponsorships.

So, what are my chances of admission to a Top 10 school?

Thank you in advance,

Russell Ross
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

Premium Member
Re: 730 GMAT, 3.595 GPA, Top 25 Undergrad + Law, 2x NFL Intern [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 19:34
Hello,

Do not worry about the scores at the rest of the standardized scores , for MBA its just your GMAT that matters, and your 730 is a decent score.

For MBA, you need full time work experience, you can work on your academic strengths and build two to three years of work experience.

Meanwhile, you can take some short term courses on management, economics etc to increase your chances. At top tier MBA schools, sound understanding of management/business etc will help you.

Doing MBA is means to achieve your short term and long term goals, so i believe you can work out concrete short term and long term goals and can work out an effective plan.

I would also suggest that please do not stick to exact top 10 schools only, do not compromise with your dreams but also keep a few schools from 10-25 ranks in your list as safety

Good luck

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: 730 GMAT, 3.595 GPA, Top 25 Undergrad + Law, 2x NFL Intern [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 19:59
You have some great experience with the NFL and WNBA as an intern, but ultimately, it "doesn't count" as full time experience.

Were the internships during law school or were they during college? From the type of work you did for the Titans and the now-defunct Comets, I assume that was during college. Given your experience with sports teams, I'm guessing you'd like to get into sports perhaps?

But still at the end of the day, you still need full time experience, and as a law school grad, that's really hard to get if you're not at an elite school or at least at the top of the class, but you are in that category and hopefully have something lined up because Emory has a great law school.

With at least 2 yrs of solid WE, your chances look real nice for an MBA. However, not having any full time WE, and trying to get an MBA right after law school may give more questions to the adcom imo. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting, Operations
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 730 GMAT, 3.595 GPA, Top 25 Undergrad + Law, 2x NFL Intern [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 00:04
I have an MBA from a Top 10 school and know (firsthand) the caliber of other peer students in my program.

With that said, your GMAT score is impressive and, along with your solid GPA, should make you a strong candidate. To add to that...The fact that you already have an advanced degree and have passed the bar (which is a daunting feat for many) conveys to the adcomms that you clearly have the aptitude to be successful in b-school...even without a business background. (Some of my MBA peers were doctors, attorneys, etc with no business background whatsoever and were very successful in the program).

There are a number of Top 10 programs that don't require any work experience. Also, some top programs actively recruit minorities to ensure a diversified student body. So I would suggest that you look at the admission requirements & class profile for the various universities...and you can gauge the strength of your application.

Just like the other poster said, you may want to get a few years of relevant work experience under your belt before applying to b-school. Meanwhile, consider taking a few night courses in basic business fundamentals (i.e. macro/micro econ, business stats, etc).

However, if you're dead-set on diving straight into b-school, you should definitely apply soon. If you don't get admitted, worse case scenario would be because you lack the work experience...not due to your academics, credentials, or aptitude (you clearly have all that).

Anyways, my 2 cents...Good Luck.
Re: 730 GMAT, 3.595 GPA, Top 25 Undergrad + Law, 2x NFL Intern   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2012, 00:04