Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730 GMAT-45q46v---retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V46
WE: Other (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

730 GMAT-45q46v---retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 02:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I took my gmat a few days ago and scored a 730 with a dismal quant score. I had consistently been scoring 48-50 quant, but was sick on test day and hence could not complete my quant section. Although I am satisfied with my overall score, I do believe a low quant score will hurt my application.

I am debating whether I should re-take my gmat to get a better quant score. I will be applying to Insead and Columbia (jan intake).
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: 730 GMAT-45q46v---retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 13:39
Expert's post
A 730 GMAT score, as I'm sure you know, is very impressive, and above average for all b-schools (I think!). I would hesitate to retake the test unless you're nearly 100% sure that you can cream the quant section -- after all, you can't really go much higher than a 730, and you have to give thought to if a ten or twenty point different would really affect the admissions committee's decision. There is an entire sub-forum of the GMAT Club boards that's devoted to admissions consultants. Perhaps you can try to post your query there, and you may receive many more responses.

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 730 GMAT-45q46v---retake? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 01:30
Disha987 wrote:
Hi,

I took my gmat a few days ago and scored a 730 with a dismal quant score. I had consistently been scoring 48-50 quant, but was sick on test day and hence could not complete my quant section. Although I am satisfied with my overall score, I do believe a low quant score will hurt my application.

I am debating whether I should re-take my gmat to get a better quant score. I will be applying to Insead and Columbia (jan intake).

Hi there,

Can you elaborate on your experience with the real GMAT such that other test takers could benefit from it?

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: 730 GMAT-45q46v---retake? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 07:26
Expert's post
Concerning whether to take another exam. It is a tough call, but a few things to take into account:

Schools do not normally care if a student takes the exam multiple times. That's ok. Can one apply with less than a 700 or a bit less than the school may ask for? Of course! The application to an MBA or other program will depend on several factors, including the GMAT. Now if a student gets a 350 on the GMAT and needs roughly a 700 then of course a retake is in order but if schools are asking for a 700 and someone gets a 690, I would still say go for it, not because a 690 is not excellent but because if one can get a 690 then when can certainly even jump to a higher level. In fact from one exam to the next scores can vary wildly sometimes. A score can dip from one exam to another even with the same amount of knowledge or the same percentage of correct/incorrect. The GMAT scoring algorithm takes many factors into account including where you make errors (eg making mistakes on 'graded' versus experimental questions, or the 'weight' of the question itself etc), how many mistakes you commit in a row, whether you finish both sections or leave questions out, whether the last few questions of either section seemed like they were guessed at (ie did you spend only a few seconds on the last few questions as opposed to the full time you should have), how you felt on test day - these can all affect score.

From one test to the next you can easily jump +/- 30 points (and even up to 80 or so) depending on where the mistakes are. So you can get the same percentage of right and wrong on two exams with the same amount of knowledge and yet have a score that differs by quite a bit. This is the same as the real GMAT. To illustrate, I can make a mistake every other question in the Quant over 5 exams (ie in every exam my percentage is 50% but have a score range from, say, a 15 to a 35, for example, which is quite insane, but it shows too that where you make mistakes can often be more important than how many. Overall, when a student wants to know where he/she stands, the best way to do so is to take the average after a few exams. This should get you to a fairly close estimation of where you are at. You can also check out our blog for more info on GMAT scoring (gmat.economist.com/blog).

I do wish to add the following. While I like to encourage students to retake exams if they have the energy and time to do so, in certain circumstances in may not be necessary especially in the context of other application criteria. So altogether a retake is good for students who are both far and close to their GMAT range but this will take dedication and further practice. If you have it in you to do so then go for it! If you have other aspects you need to take care of but are already at your range then I do not see it as all important. The other aspects of the application may carry quite a bit more weight. And finally, you can always ask the school itself whether it is worth doing. Sometimes they actually help in that regard.

I hope that helps.

Liz
http://econgm.at/KvjVSi
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: 730 GMAT-45q46v---retake?   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2014, 07:26