1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
2 years as an investment consultant at one of the world's largest asset management companies. I work directly with sales and end clients to identify a client's need/ask and provide an investment solution. Will have 3 years of experience upon applying next year. Worked in SF for 2 years, and will be moving to an office on the east coast before the end of 2013 to initiate our team's presence in that office.
2) Your GMAT.
730 (Q45/V44). I got an 800 on Math SAT, in case there are concerns about my Q score.
3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
Notre Dame. GPA: 3.18. Finance Major. Graduated May 2011. My business school GPA (3.4) was higher than my overall GPA (3.18). I struggled with non-business class requirements like philosophy and theology.
4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
-Raised over $10,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society by competing in triathlons through Team In Training.
-Created and launched my own iPhone app game.
5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
Level 2 CFA candidate. Failed level 2 in June (Band 10, barely missed it) and will take again next year.
6) Your target programs. Please note that my experience is with the top MBA programs (FT, PT, EMBA, Sloan Fellows) around the world. If the programs you are targeting are not listed here, I may not respond due to lack of time.
Wharton, Stanford, HBS, Booth, Columbia
7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
Plan to apply R1 2014-2015.
8) Your post-MBA goal.
Either 1) something more on the individual security analysis level like a hedge fund or portfolio manager or 2) something for an actual consulting company (BCG, Bain, McKinsey) where clients are specifically paying for the consulting experience and there is more leeway to provide honest advice.
Looking to find out whether my target schools are realistic or not, and what points of my application may require strengthening.
Obviously your overall GPA is competitive, however that quant is low considering the schools you are applying to and the work you want to do. Your GPA is also a bit low. Your work experience is competitive and everything else lines up. Given that you aren't planning to apply until next fall, I really do recommend a retake
. Focus on the quant; you should be able to raise it and that can only help you.
You might be interested in MBA Action Plan: 6 Steps for the 6 Months Before You Apply.
Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog