Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 12:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730 gmat- retake??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
730 gmat- retake?? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 16:58
Hello all-
I recently discovered the forum and was very excited to find such a great resource. I am looking into applying to international business/public policy phd programs and was hoping some of you might be able to give me a bit of advice regarding my background and what kind of schools i could realistically target.
I recently took the GMAT and scored a 730 (Q42 V48). I think a bad case of nerves led to me scoring well below my practice scores (in the 47-49 range) on the quant. does this quant score warrant retaking the test?
As for other aspects of my background, i have a MA from top International Relations program (gpa 3.8) and have work experience abroad with a foreign bank as well as in teaching. I am currently doing busines research and policy analysis for the US arm of a large japanese company. So i am hoping that these would fit my concentration interests but am unsure whether it would merit applying to top programs.
I realize that not many of these posts are related to the above concentrations but any advice that participants might have would be most appreciated.
Thanks for your help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 730 gmat- retake?? [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 17:43
bluesmann wrote:
Hello all-
I recently discovered the forum and was very excited to find such a great resource. I am looking into applying to international business/public policy phd programs and was hoping some of you might be able to give me a bit of advice regarding my background and what kind of schools i could realistically target.
I recently took the GMAT and scored a 730 (Q42 V48). I think a bad case of nerves led to me scoring well below my practice scores (in the 47-49 range) on the quant. does this quant score warrant retaking the test?
As for other aspects of my background, i have a MA from top International Relations program (gpa 3.8) and have work experience abroad with a foreign bank as well as in teaching. I am currently doing busines research and policy analysis for the US arm of a large japanese company. So i am hoping that these would fit my concentration interests but am unsure whether it would merit applying to top programs.
I realize that not many of these posts are related to the above concentrations but any advice that participants might have would be most appreciated.
Thanks for your help!

i'd say your work experience in research will really help you get noticed... and your graduate gpa is very good. i don't know if scoring higher on the GMAT will matter.... i don't know how important mathmatics is to your field --- perhaps they might express concern over a 42 in Q.

i only scored a 710 - same boat as you vis-a-vis nerves - i will be applying to PhD programs after i complete my masters in marketing. i'd prefer to not have to retake the exam. part of me thinks the differences between a 710 and a 740 are so **** miniscule as to be irrelevant! but i think my decision to retake rests on whether i get very close to a 4.0 as a grad student, and what kind of research i get to work on with professors. i think you need to look at the programs that offer what you want to study and see what their student profile is like.

also, as far as "top" PhD programs go... there are no real rankings. i think what is considered "top" varies by discipline... basically, if you go to an AACSB accredited school you are going to get a solid & challenging education no matter where you end up. what makes one program top vs. another has to do more with the professors and what kind of research they put out... so your top program might be a small school that is only be ranked 100th overall in terms of MBA programs. Also, a PhD does no one any good if they don't finish it... so fit counts! i don't know what the academic job market is like... but i would imagine hiring committees are smart enough to look beyond merely the "brand" and realize that you might have studied under the leader in a particular subfield.

i'd say start looking at professor profiles to get an idea of whom you might want to study under. this is easier than it sounds! i've found some interesting folks that i'd like to learn from. unfortunately they are in an Australian business school!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 19:07
are you mad? don't yu have better things to do in life, beside retaking gmat. and taking risks? what if you get another bad day and score a"miserable" 700?

there are better things to do to help your phd application - as noted above: research the schools yu are applying to, start preparing your SOP, go over your CV and refinish it to perfection.

good luck
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 08:33
Funny.. I was just about to post something similar about my "miserable" 700 (Q44 V40)...

On the flipside, by the time graduation comes around I'll have 4 regional conferences under my belt, and hopefully a paper or two published. Right now the thought of this is the only thing stopping me from registering right away for another test.

It's a hard call... 700 isn't astonishingly bad by any stretch, but it's not a good score either.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 15:40
Thanks all for the responses.
I suppose my main concern was that given the obvious importance of quantitative skills to graduate work, a lower gmat quant could be a dealbreaker-- especially given that most posts of gmat scores seem to indicate applicants having an opposite score balance to mine- ie high quant and slightly lower verbal. But it seems that there are other aspects of my application that will be equally important to highlight.
Thanks for your input about choosing schools, kumbaya. Have people found that professors are generally willing to talk to you? Or is it pretty hit or miss?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 21:14
What few professors I've been in contact with so far have been very receptive when they encounter an enthusiastic budding academic. It certainly helps to show interest and talk about their area of specialization.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 16:53
My take is that if you have strong graduate GPA, you can live with a 730 in GMAT. If you grad course is maths-intensive or if you have take a few quant modules, I think they would have more than offset a low Q in the GMAT.

Although the trend is leaning towards quant, it really depends on your field of interest and research approach. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 21:30
GMAT is just one part. If you really have publications (and they are in anything resembling an academic journal) that counts huge. So, if you published empirical research, you have the math and the research skills knolwedge you need--what are you worried about? Who wouldn't want someone like that? Well, because you have a research track record, (from what I understand from your profile) it will be clear if you "fit" or not based what you published and where and if the faculty don't want to reteach you "their" way, it won't matter how high your gmat is... there are innumerable variables, really.

I would not worry about Gmat or even your SOP. Just find the school that researches in your area and tell them that you want to learn the from the best... that will be very persuasive in my mind.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 430 Q26 V23
GPA: 3.34
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: 730 gmat- retake?? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 23:18
My good friend, just move on. Dont retake the test. Focus on other aspects of your application.Period!
Re: 730 gmat- retake??   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2012, 23:18