Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:59

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730 GMAT with a unique background. (Application Advice)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

730 GMAT with a unique background. (Application Advice) [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 13:59
I am in a strange situation.

I am 24 and currently a 2L at R 50-70 law school. I am doing well there: 3.4 GPA - top 20% of my class. However, I have decided that I would really like to get into management consulting or I Banking. I have the option to do a dual degree with the school I am currently enrolled in (also R 50-70) which would entail me doing the MBA in 1 year after this semester and then finishing my 3L year there. The perk would that I will have a full or almost full scholarship there.

However, I would love to get into management consulting at a firm like McKinsey, Bain, or Deloitte. So perhaps it would be worth it to finish law school and then cough up the extra 80-100k of debt to go to a top 10 or a top 20 school. I am not sure if it is worth it financially, especially considering I am already going to be around 120k in debt out of law school. Furthermore, I am not even sure as to my chances of getting into any particular school. I am willing to go anywhere for a job, but would prefer to remain in the Southeast. Please help! Thanks :)

Where I'm thinking of applying:
Top 10, Vanderbilt (they have already waived my tuition fee and promised an interview in the next month), Emory, Duke, Virginia

My stats coming out of law school:

GMAT 730 96%- 44V 98% - 47Q 70%
J.D. from a tier 2 school with a 3.4-5 GPA, top 15-20% - Extracurriculars: National Trial Team, Student Success Leader, VP of law fraternity,
Undergrad at a non-top100 private school (in the top 20 in the south.) Major Biology- GPA 3.4- Extracurriculars- Student government senator
Work Experience: Taught middle school science for 1 year out of college before law school.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 2.47
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: 730 GMAT with a unique background. (Application Advice) [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 07:22
Free is better than paying 80-100k. Even if you move to a top tier school the chance of working for any of MBB is still incredibly difficult so why not stay where you are and get your MBA for free?
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: 730 GMAT with a unique background. (Application Advice) [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 23:48
Expert's post
fergsonfire wrote:
Free is better than paying 80-100k. Even if you move to a top tier school the chance of working for any of MBB is still incredibly difficult so why not stay where you are and get your MBA for free?

I'm afraid I don't really agree….I mean yes, getting into MBB is still tough, but go to HBS and you have a real chance, whereas go to a rank 70 MBA and you have close to zero chance. Which brings up the question, manderson, if this is truly your goal, why are you considering doing an MBA at your current school? You would get the diploma, but is it really bringing you closer to what you want? (and maybe the answer is yes… but at least consider the question).

On the other hand, if you are going to wait it out, and try for a Top 10 school down the line (no guarantee in of itself that this will happen) you will need to work 2-3 years first. So what would you do? what are your prospects?

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 730 GMAT with a unique background. (Application Advice) [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 08:03
JonAdmissionado wrote:
fergsonfire wrote:

I'm afraid I don't really agree….I mean yes, getting into MBB is still tough, but go to HBS and you have a real chance, whereas go to a rank 70 MBA and you have close to zero chance. Which brings up the question, manderson, if this is truly your goal, why are you considering doing an MBA at your current school? You would get the diploma, but is it really bringing you closer to what you want? (and maybe the answer is yes… but at least consider the question).

On the other hand, if you are going to wait it out, and try for a Top 10 school down the line (no guarantee in of itself that this will happen) you will need to work 2-3 years first. So what would you do? what are your prospects?

Thanks to you both. I appreciate the advice/opinions.

Unfortunately, that is the problem. There are no guarantees as to what I will do over the next 2-3 years after finishing law school. I may be able to get a position as an attorney in commercial litigation, startups, bankruptcy or something similar, but I may not. I may be able to get a position at a smaller consulting firm, but I may not. It is hard to say. Worst case scenario, I may end up taking appointments in criminal court. It is too tough to say what offers, if any, I will be able to receive.
Re: 730 GMAT with a unique background. (Application Advice)   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2014, 08:03