Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730 on GMAT but Just 1 year experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
kovid: Maheshwari
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.01
WE: Operations (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

730 on GMAT but Just 1 year experience [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 22:04
I recently gave my GMAT in November,2013 and scored 730 on it with a straight 6/6 in AWA, fared well at Verbal and Quant though Integrated reasoning was not that impressive.

Now I would like to enroll myself in Winter fall 2014 in any of the Big B-school. But I have a 1 year experience only in Retail Supply Chain Management. I am currently holding the OPERATION Head Position at a Retail Firm in India, handling the logistics, warehousing and cold supply chain system. I have a technical Background as I did My undergrad. in Mechanical Engg. discipline.

Also my GPA at my undergrad college is not at all impressive as it is just at par [ Indian System - 5.1/10 ].

I have a very strong extra curricular profile, as I was a national Level player in Badminton, State Level player in lawn-Tennis and Table-Tennis. Very strong in sports, Singing, Extempore, Elocution, Debate, Speech Giving Competition.

How should I proceed from here. I really can take some good help here.

Thank You

Regards,

Kovid Maheshwari
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: 730 on GMAT but Just 1 year experience [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 23:10
A GPA of 5.1 in Indian Scale will make it very difficult for you to get into good business schools. In addition to this, your profile is further weakened because of your work experience. Though you have leadership experience in your current job, you need to have atleast 1-2 years of leadership experience. Your GMAT score is very good and it can save your profile till an extent. Your extra-curriculars are amazing, but even they are not given enough weigthage over other aspects of your profile. Your chances are further reduced because you belong to a very competetive segment. With your overall profile, i can suggest you to wait for atleast a year and then apply to business schools. It will still be a very long shot but your chances will definitely be improved. You will have to create a stellar application to impress the admissions committee of any school. Download the free ebook on how to get into a top business school at : http://www.interviewbay.com/mba/how-to- ... -ebook.php

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: 730 on GMAT but Just 1 year experience [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 01:11
Expert's post
kovidmaheshwari12 wrote:
I recently gave my GMAT in November,2013 and scored 730 on it with a straight 6/6 in AWA, fared well at Verbal and Quant though Integrated reasoning was not that impressive.

Now I would like to enroll myself in Winter fall 2014 in any of the Big B-school. But I have a 1 year experience only in Retail Supply Chain Management. I am currently holding the OPERATION Head Position at a Retail Firm in India, handling the logistics, warehousing and cold supply chain system. I have a technical Background as I did My undergrad. in Mechanical Engg. discipline.

Also my GPA at my undergrad college is not at all impressive as it is just at par [ Indian System - 5.1/10 ].

I have a very strong extra curricular profile, as I was a national Level player in Badminton, State Level player in lawn-Tennis and Table-Tennis. Very strong in sports, Singing, Extempore, Elocution, Debate, Speech Giving Competition.

How should I proceed from here. I really can take some good help here.

Thank You

Regards,

Kovid Maheshwari

Well, first things first. You gotta work at least another two years before you reeeeeally think about applying. And probably the most important thing for you is to succeed at work. But you know how to do that I guess :). Other than that make sure you keep up with at least one volunteer position throughout the entire time. Best would be some big and recognized organization rather than something like "just tutoring some kids." Other than that, start working on your GMAT, and when you are ready (but not before) take that and see how it goes.

Good that you are starting to think about this soooo early!!!

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: 730 on GMAT but Just 1 year experience   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2014, 01:11