Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730 (Q 49; V 42) - my debrief

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

730 (Q 49; V 42) - my debrief [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 07:28
This might be a bit off tone compared to the other stories but bare with me - I promise to be brief.

I really wish somebody had smacked me over the head a few months ago and told me to take a look at the Gmat questions, so I'd know what to expect. I'd have done it a lot sooner if I was aware of what the test was really like. The thing is that all the talk about 3 month prep schedules can really give you a strange opinion about what's coming. While I am in no way speaking out against those schedules (I have nothing but respect for the people who spent the time and effort to design them), they're not for everybody and they're not the only way to get a decent score. After all, the Gmat tests you on number of things that you've picked up during your life and without knowing it, you may have been practicing for the exam for years.

Do you still remember your high school math?
How good were you with it in the first place?
Do you enjoy reading books in english even if it's not your native language?
Does your undergraduate education offer you a chance to practice your verbal skills?

All of these and many more might just be enough to give you a pretty decent head start on the preparation.
My word of advice? Figgure out how your current capabilities match up to your needs (for instance, my school of choice only wanted 600 points) and only then decide on what needs to happen. Do this as early as possible and you might save yourself a big headache.

My score: 730

Materials used: Almost all the sample questions from the Official Guide For The Gmat Review 12th Eddition (not much from the theory, though).

Time spent: 10 days. It occurred to me, one bright and sunny afternoon, that if I wanted two shots at the Gmat before my app. deadline was up, I'd have to take it before the 15th of May. I chose the 12th. That was on the 30th of April and I spent exactly 10 days in preparation for it.

So, yeah...think a little before you start buying the books en masse.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 19

Re: 730 (Q 49; V 42) - my debrief [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 07:34
Congratulations! wow, 730 in 10 days :shock: you seem to be a natural test taker.
Did you take any mock tests prior to your real GMAT?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 730 (Q 49; V 42) - my debrief [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 08:28
I did the two practice tests that you get for free off the official website after I was done with the book. 700 on the first and 740 on the second. Part of the reason I wasn't freaking out before the exam was because a lot of the people on these forums were saying how close the official practice tests were to the real thing and that was a pretty nice confidence boost. Gotta say I'm thankful for that.

The point I was trying to make is that if you're at a right stage in your life (you can still remember high school without groaning, whispering "Those were the days..." to yourself and going for another cup of prune juice) and you're lucky enough to have the right hobbies, the test doesn't have to be an uphill battle.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: 730 (Q 49; V 42) - my debrief [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 05:26
Great job!

For the rest of us, who coasted through high school and college, 2-3 months of intensive quantitative study is the only thing we can do to fill in our knowledge gaps and to reinforce the little we actually covered in high school and college. Native language ability is all some of us have as a leg up.

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: 730 (Q 49; V 42) - my debrief [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 08:32
great score!. amazing to get this score in 10 days. All the best!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 730 (Q 49; V 42) - my debrief [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 02:29
Good score sinfest !
and a some good booster lines up there..

Please let us know what schools you're planning to apply to.
Re: 730 (Q 49; V 42) - my debrief   [#permalink] 15 May 2011, 02:29