Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 08:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730 Q44 V46 should I retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 02-11-2012
GPA: 3.51
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 12:58
Well seem as though your mind is made up. I will shut up now lol. Good luck!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 14:36
Expert's post
See this profile: members/member-76523.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 27

Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 19:45
JohnnyKage

My experience has been similar to Faro's (see my debrief in my signature). I could notch up my score from 730 to 760 by pushing my quants score from 48 to 50. Given your background and with some dogged effort mind you, you have a good shot at improving your quant score.

I don't see any major downside to this strategy, barring a major debacle on test day, which I think is unlikely.

- If you get a lower overall score, schools will still look at your highest GMAT score.

- If you get a higher overall score, albeit with a lower verbal and higher quant, you should still be good given you would have a more balanced score then.

- If you get a higher overall score while maintaining the verbal score, nothing like it!

All the best!

A KUDO A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY

Introducing Best Debrief Writer & Contributor of the Month!: introducing-best-debrief-writer-contributor-of-the-month-127355.html
My GMAT debrief: gmat-760-50-q-42-v-satisfied-124675.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 12:33
I have a bit of a similar dilemma... Although I got 750, which I'm not cocky enough to claim that it's not a good score, it was the second lowest of all my practice exams. I averaged 770 on those and my Q somehow dropped to 48 on test day, far lower than all the others. I feel I can bump my score up by 20+ points by just keeping my current level for 3 more weeks and then resitting.
However, as the lawyer guy said (first lawyer I've seen around here, second including myself), I'm getting the feeling that 750-770, or 730-770 wouldn't make a big difference. I agree, though, that your Q could look a bit better.
Also, as far as I know a lot of the merit-based scholarship programs are based quite heavily on GMAT scores, correct?
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 02-11-2012
GPA: 3.51
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 12:47
That is a different story. I have heard that people get scholarships from kick a$$ scores, based on GPA and GMAT. So if that is the reason you are retaking then go for it. It could also balance a bad GPA. But my previous post was based on Johny having a GPA around the mean and a killer GMAT. Perhaps a higher GMAT would get him some $ (and you too Ofer).

Ofer, care if I send you a PM? I have been looking for lawyers who want to go back to Business school. There seems to be a lot of people going for joint JD/MBA, but not ones who are currently lawyers wanting to go back for an MBA.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 604 [0], given: 114

Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 16:47
If you're not applying until next year, definitely retake. Why not!? If you are aiming for top schools they will definitely not like to see the 66% in quant. Since bschool is so quant heaving, a 75-80%+ will do the trick. But by all means, if you didn't even really study for quant, then a 750+ might be within your grasp. With a V44 and very little quant studying, its within your grasp. Anything in that range will really not only get you the "good GMAT" checkbox but might even put you into the "great GMAT" or "possible scholarship" checkbox. If you have until next season to apply, I would say go for it! And concentrate all your effort into getting a Q47 (76%) or above.

Good luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 134

Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 20:44
Hey JonnyKAge, first of all love the name reference to MK, childhood favourite of mine!

I'm in a similar but worse situatio, Score History: 640, 640, and now 710 (Q42/V45). My math courses in my undergrad (Biotechnology from a Canadian U) were poor, so apart from my job (US Healthcare Research Analyst with McKinsey) I've got little to show for my quant skills. I;m in a huge dillemma about a 4th retake, but I know that I was scoring high on my practice tests prior to writing it a 3rd time, and am relatively certain I will rewrite before June (avoid new section).

Despite all this., however, seeing your profile and having gone through Haas' essays (its one of my top schools too, though I'm from India), I would definitely say concentrate on your overall app as opposed to spending more time on a GMAT retake. I doubt that bumping it up to a 750 will differentiate you substantially, as opposed to spending that time on a worthwhile endeavor such as community service/ building up a significant hobby (Haas has an essay dedicated to your community outreach!).

That's my 2 cents. On that note, if anybody has any advice for me as to whether I should rewrite, I would hugely appreciate that as well, my target schools are Columbia/Haas/Fuqua/Ross/Darden/INSEAD/ISB and maybe Tepper/Cornell.

A.

How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 27

Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 21:11
Aximili85

Your verbal score is excellent - considering you are from an over-represented pool of applicants (I'm in the same boat as well), a 42 in quants could make you a tad less competitive. However, do attempt again if you think a score of 42 is significantly below your potential -and if you start getting practice scores upwards of 45-46 in quants - else, doesn't make sense to retake if there is a high likelihood that you will get a quant score in the same range again.

What were you quant scores in the first 2 attempts and in the mock tests? That could give you a pointer...

Cheers

Santanu

A KUDO A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY

Introducing Best Debrief Writer & Contributor of the Month!: introducing-best-debrief-writer-contributor-of-the-month-127355.html
My GMAT debrief: gmat-760-50-q-42-v-satisfied-124675.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 04:56
I will say if you can improve your quant score do it..... most of the top schools are quant heavy and they also look at score imbalance... i got dinged my self because of high quant and low verbal percentile

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 11:39
I don't think this is an issue of whether or not you'll be able to improve your score - you pretty clearly will given that you barely studied Quant, and were not prepared for some easy to learn rules and topics. The question really is, what will it add to your profile?

From everyone I've talked to and everything I've seen, you're not going to have trouble getting in to the top schools with that GMAT. Your quant is a little low, but Quant experience should actually make up for it, because they care that you can learn and apply the methodologies that they teach you. One thing that I'm surprised no one has asked you is what do you plan to focus on in B-School? If you're thinking of writing your essays about how you want to be a Quantitative Finance Guru, then you might want to retake. If you want to get into marketing, on the other hand (completely on the other side of the spectrum, I know), then they really won't care.

Here's the bottom line: If you're willing to put in 4-8 more weeks of hard studying, which is what you'd probably have to do to really improve your math (I found that my math went down after studying for awhile, and took a decent amount of time to get back up and beyond where I started), then you may as well. If not, and you want to move on to having a normal life/preparing for Apps/adding to your overall candidate profile in other ways, then do that. I think you'll be fine if you do, but certainly can't blame anyone for wanting to do better.

Also, pretty impressive to score a 730 with minimal studying. Well done.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: NYU Stern - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 8

Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 21:39
Congratulations, your verbal score is absolutely brilliant ! Quant can definitely be improved. I am assuming your knowledge of the English language will not deteriorate ;-). So you can give all your focus on quant this time.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 11:21
Wow OP, I am in a very similar situation. I scored a 730 (Q47 V44) on my 1st official attempt at the GMAT's; however, this was higher than any of my practice exam scores so I'm wondering whether I may be pushing my luck if I go for a second attempt. However, as most b-schools simply look at your highest score these days, what's the harm?

The question then boils down to whether my time studying for the retake could be best spent elsewhere. but ultimately, my very low undergrad GPA (< 3.0) may require me to obtain a stellar GMAT score in order to prove to admission officers that I can handle the rigorous curriculum..
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 12:11
Well it all depends on how much time you have !if you have a lot of time on your hands , then it wouldn't be such a bad idea to retake !

But if I were you I'd adjust forget about it and focus on other aspects of my application !

730 is awesome ! Even with your split !

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Re: 730 Q44 V46 should I retake?   [#permalink] 05 May 2012, 12:11