Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

720 (Q48 V41) - Insight appreciated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

720 (Q48 V41) - Insight appreciated [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 05:46
Hi all,

I took the GMAT for the second time yesterday and finally scored around what I was hoping. My final score was a bit lower than most of my practice exams, but I'll take what I can get, especially considering none of the sections went smoothly, especially IR and Quant.

This leads me to my questions for you guys. I plan on applying sometime in the next 2-3 years to the top 10 schools. How important will IR scores be at that point for those schools? I completely mismanaged my time on IR and I'll likely get a 6 out of 8. Will those schools view a lower IR percentile as negatively as low percentiles for quant and verbal? Or is it okay that a student conserved his energy for the "main event," so to speak?

Secondly, how strict are the top 10 schools about the infamous 80/80 split on quant and verbal? Unfortunately my quant score of 48 is only the 78th percentile. With that said, I studied undergraduate business at an Ivy league and took several economics courses, all of which I did very well (my overall GPA was 3.9+). Additionally, I am currently working at a well-respected quantitative consulting firm. Will these additional considerations be sufficient for the top 10 schools to negate my lower IR and quant scores?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by jhwang116 on 03 Oct 2012, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2164

Kudos [?]: 7669 [0], given: 3627

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 730 (Q48 V41) - Insight appreciated [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 10:12
Expert's post
Congratulations!
You have nothing to worry about with your score. Q48 is a solid score (since 51 is the max really).

On the IR front - nobody knows what the future holds for it. It may be a dud or it may be the next best thing. It is too early to tell. Right now I doubt schools will put much importance on it but by the time you apply - it will be clearer.

The only element that schools sometimes get annoyed with is dated scores (e.g. taking a GMAT right after undergrad, then working, and then applying). The reason is that it is easier to take this path, and schools understand that point. on the other hand, they feel you are more determined as the result.

Bottom line - enjoy your vacation :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: 730 (Q48 V41) - Insight appreciated [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 02:56
bb wrote:
Congratulations!
You have nothing to worry about with your score. Q48 is a solid score (since 51 is the max really).

On the IR front - nobody knows what the future holds for it. It may be a dud or it may be the next best thing. It is too early to tell. Right now I doubt schools will put much importance on it but by the time you apply - it will be clearer.

The only element that schools sometimes get annoyed with is dated scores (e.g. taking a GMAT right after undergrad, then working, and then applying). The reason is that it is easier to take this path, and schools understand that point. on the other hand, they feel you are more determined as the result.

Bottom line - enjoy your vacation :)

Thanks for your response. I just received my official report--I received a 5 on the integrated reasoning section, which is the 52nd percentile... I guess I really screwed it up, as I was getting 7 or 8 in my practice exams.

You mentioned that it "will be clearer" when I apply ~3 years from now. With that said, is it possible that a score of 5 (52nd percentile) would hurt me for my target schools (top 10)? I just can't really imagine putting much weight into a section of the test that only has 8 possible scores, but perhaps I'm being hopeful. I'm hoping my 3.9 GPA at an Ivy and employment at a top 20 consulting firm will overshadow this score.

I'd greatly appreciate anyone's insight on this.

Thanks again,
Jason
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2164

Kudos [?]: 7669 [1] , given: 3627

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 720 (Q48 V41) - Insight appreciated [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
What I meant by the IR score was that it's importance will be more clear in the School's eyes. It may be similar to AWA where it does not matter a whole lot unless it is bad. A 50th percentile on AWA was 5, out of 6 and most folks got in with 5's and 4's. IR is similar I feel but it also may prove that it has a higher correlation to future success than the GMAT score and it is absolutely critical to get a high IR score.

Your best shot is to sleep on it for a few years. You can also retake the GMAT now if you feel you can improve the IR (there are resources out there already) but chances of it being high on the list are NOT that impressive, based on the AWA example. It is a lottery/insurance thing - you don't know the odds.

If you are very conservative, you should retake and feel good about it (assuming you can get IR up). Your cost is $250
If you are more risky, then wait and see. Your cost is $250+time to study/catch up/etc - higher than in the first case but then you may not have to do it at all.

It depends on you.
Good Luck!

Anyone else has an opinion? Please weigh in.

gmat-scores-83890.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: 720 (Q48 V41) - Insight appreciated   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2012, 21:15