Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 26

Premium Member
Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 16:03
burnttwinky wrote:
Mohit11, that was a great debrief. Thanks for taking the time to really layout your approach and thought process. I have taken the Manhattan Gmat course, and I do feel that it significantly helped in the verbal and math section; however, I am trying to find other material that can really help me prepare for the GMAT. I did well in the GMAT Prep and MGMAT practice exams, but I struggled on the actual exam.

I felt the actual exam was far more difficult than the gmat prep tests. Did you feel the same way? Is there a way to obtain the Knewton SC problems without taking the exam? At this point, I feel that I have exhausted the OG and MGAT problems, and I am looking for another source (possibly Knewton) that are close to the actual GMAT.

If you're not trying to pay for the actual course(Knewton), you can find someone who has taken the course and is satisfied with their GMAT score and utilize their profile. Knewton gives you access to their resources for up to a year after the course.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 35 [3] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
burnttwinky wrote:
Mohit11, that was a great debrief. Thanks for taking the time to really layout your approach and thought process. I have taken the Manhattan Gmat course, and I do feel that it significantly helped in the verbal and math section; however, I am trying to find other material that can really help me prepare for the GMAT. I did well in the GMAT Prep and MGMAT practice exams, but I struggled on the actual exam.

I felt the actual exam was far more difficult than the gmat prep tests. Did you feel the same way? Is there a way to obtain the Knewton SC problems without taking the exam? At this point, I feel that I have exhausted the OG and MGAT problems, and I am looking for another source (possibly Knewton) that are close to the actual GMAT.

Apologies for not replying sooner. Firstly, you need to understand that regardless of the number of practice tests you take, the real test will always be more difficult than any practice tests that you might have taken.

Most of the test prep companies - Knewton, MGMAT, Kaplan etc - have a question pool that is not as large as that of GMAT. Moreover, most of the questions in these practice tests are based on patterns and tricks that the question writers from these companies have identified. Therefore, the question pool for these companies addresses anywhere between 75-90 percent of the questions asked on the GMAT. So the good news is that most of the reputed companies cover 75-90 percent of concepts and tricks tested on GMAT. The remaining 15-25 percent is the tricky part and where most of us err.

When you are hit with a question that may seem ambiguous because you have not come across such a question in your practice material, you can react in two possible ways

a) You may feel that the test is much more difficult than you could have anticipated and hence you may end up spending approximately 3-4 minutes on 2-3 difficult SC questions of this nature. Therefore, you may end up having much less time to answer familiar questions - This mismanagement of time leads you rush through questions and hence the number of errors in a test increases. Therefore, you not only get those 2-3 difficult/ambiguous questions wrong but also a number of familiar questions wrong. ----> A huge drop in the score

b) When you are hit with a question that you feel is ambiguous, you may think to yourself that - Hey, this is one of those difficult questions, I should use POE to reach 2 possible correct answer choices and then quickly make a choice and move on - This strategy may help you in 1) Saving time for solving familiar questions 2) No alarming loss in accuracy.

I did come across such questions on test day on my second attempt i reacted in a way described in a) and in my third and final attempt i reacted in a way described in b)

iWant700plusGMAT wrote:
If you're not trying to pay for the actual course(Knewton), you can find someone who has taken the course and is satisfied with their GMAT score and utilize their profile. Knewton gives you access to their resources for up to a year after the course.

I would advise against this strategy because
1) Its unethical. Knewton is currently offering a 50 percent discount and a 50 point guarantee - Just buy the course.
2) You can't redo the practice tests; Exercises can be redone but not the practice tests; Practice tests,when taken under timed conditions, really help you in ironing out possible flaws in your strategy.

Knewton does a reasonable job in mimicking patterns and tricks in official material, if you're interested that you should go ahead and get Knewton.

My GMAT story: 730 Debrief

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 03:38
Thanks for the master sheet and a wonderful story...
I wrote my GMAT again today.. improved from 620 to 670... i believe makes me competitive.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
WE: Sales (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 05:10
Congratulations! and thanks for the debrief and the mastersheet.
All the best for applications.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 11:23
Thanks a lot! And Great job on the test, hopefully I will be you in a few months :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks guys. Feel free to ask any questions that you have.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 18:46
Congrats on the great score.

I signed up for the Knewton course a couple months ago and after looking around a bit, I think it will be really beneficial. You have access to 6 CAT, pre-recorded courses, live courses, notes and homework all for around $400. Its a great deal!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
WE: Design (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 23:58
Hey Mohit,

Great score and debrief.

I am planning to take GMAT again , got a 680 on first attempt q50 v31. Do you think Knewton is advisable ?

How is the course in general?

Thanks

Work with hope in Heart and dreams in the eyes .... And leave the mind for GMAT problems ;)

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [3] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 00:10
This post received
KUDOS
vasureddy18 wrote:
Hey Mohit,

Great score and debrief.

I am planning to take GMAT again , got a 680 on first attempt q50 v31. Do you think Knewton is advisable ?

How is the course in general?

Thanks

Hi Vasu,

Q50 tells me that you have already mastered quant (Though if i were you i'd try and push for 51 - No point running a marathon and quitting 5 meters before the finish line). Verbal - 31 tells me that you are making approximately 14-16 errors in Verbal. Therefore, you have to correct both the concept errors and timing issues.

Here's a remedy i recommend. Please tailor it for yourself and do run it by some experts in the community before you commit to it.

1. Get MGMAT Sentence Correction and PowerScore CR Guide and read them end to end twice a week for 3-4 weeks till each lesson comes as easily to you as does quant tricks and traps.
2. If you haven't taken the MGMAT tests, i would suggest you take at least 2 or 3 of these tests to practice your verbal concepts and timing problems.
(Complete step 1-2 in approximately 1-2 weeks)
3. Enroll in the Knewton course. Run through their verbal lessons and do the practice questions. (If you have a lot of free time on hand, you can run through the entire course in 2 weeks. However, i'd suggest take the Knewton tests as advised by the system)
4. Do not take quant lightly. Keep your focus balanced between quant and verbal.
5. Learn to manage any anxiety issues.

Take the retest in a month or so...

Good luck. I am sure you'll do well.
Mohit

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
WE: Design (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 00:20
Thanks mohit,

The plan looks good and well organized.

Ill give it a try.

Hopefully this time ill tame the GMAT beast. :twisted:

Work with hope in Heart and dreams in the eyes .... And leave the mind for GMAT problems ;)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 07:07
that's an inspiring story and it was written better than a Conan Doyle book. i felt your pulses
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 07:16
dimri10 wrote:
that's an inspiring story and it was written better than a Conan Doyle book. i felt your pulses

Haha.. Thank you. You've given me ideas on an alternate career. :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 30

Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside) [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats! Thanks for a great debrief.
Excellent Score!
Re: 730|Q49-V41| Keep Calm and Carry On(GMAT-Mastersheet Inside)   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2013, 06:47