Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730 (Q50, V39)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 52

730 (Q50, V39) [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 22:07
Dear GMAT Club and its contributors,

thank you for the contributions you made to my score.

I am not a native speaker.
I started working seriously on GMAT somewhere in April 2013.
Initial target was 720 or more.
I am working full-time in parallel so time was an issue.

I started with reading MGMAT guides and initially neglected the two Foundation (V and Q) books which I red afterwards.
I think MGMAT was a good starting point.
I also had older versions of Princenton Review and Kaplan books at home but I merely touched them.

First Quant guides seemed too easy so I switched to Verbal ones.
After first iteration, my perception of the GMAT was still somewhat blurred.
Nevertheless, I tried Veritas CAT and scored 730 which made me very happy.

In a week I tried MGMAT CAT and scored 690.
After that all my CATs were coming around 650.
This upset me for some time.

Usually, I was having problems with time-management during the CAT: probably, because, for some problems I was trying too much to avoid careless mistakes and rechecking my answer several times.
Then I started playing with OG 13.
I was using GMAT Timer program (very simple and convenient) and copying all my results to Excel.
I was doing very well with GMAT Timer because of its capability to make sounds at set amount of time (e.g. 60 seconds).
But still on CAT I would have a problem because it does not make sounds :).
So after some time, I started playing with GMAT Timer with no sound :).

Then I tried GMAT Prep 1 - 660. This made me upset again.
Results from other CATs:
GrockIT - 660
Kaplan CAT 1 - 650

By that time, I already ran out of Verbal questions in OG 13, so I did not practice, but started rereading the Sentence Correction guide from MGMAT and making notes. I think SC was my weakest point.
I also reviewed Combi and Prob because I could not solve some problems using standard ways: BTW, one of the videos from Thursdays with Ron helped a lot with Combinatorics.

I tried several GMAT Pill CAT exams but my scores were still below 700 and I was completely devastated on IR questions which I could not understand in 2 and half minutes.
I kept working on questions and revising any gaps that I encounter.

About 10 days before the exam I took GMAT Prep 2 and scored 750 and very good on IR.

I tried another GMAT Pill CAT 2-3 days before the exam and it was still below 700.

Before exam
knowing my time management problem, I used the following schema in order to have more time in reserve for the last questions:

Time Left Questions done (Q) Questions done (V)
75 0 0
60 8 9
45 16 18
30 24 27
15 32 36
0 37 41

Exam day:
I came 30 min before exam. Proctor was not there. He came about 10 min earlier than the exam time.
After all the preparation procedures, he could not start the exam, so he asked to come in several hours or postpone the exam for 10 days.
I decided to come later that day although morning time is best for me.

During the exam I was nervous
1. AWA - topic was interesting, but I could not come up with several flaws as I used to do at home CATs.
I used the slightly adjusted (by me) version of 6.0 template which I memorized while doing practice AWAs.
So I just started writing and tried to come up with something else while writing.
So I had some parts of the text with new idea waiting below.
And just several second before the 30 min limit I noticed some of that text still lying several lines below my essay. I managed to remove it probably a second before the deadline.
So I would recommend to clear all the spaces after you finished writing.

2. IR - got stuck on one problem and was very much worried about the result because the rest of the questions I had to do fast

break: had some chocolate and warm drink, stretching, exercising

3. Quant was fun part although I did not expect 50 score because I was preventing myself from rechecking my answers and was doing reasonable guesses from time-to-time especially on DS.

break: couple of apple bites made me feel better, stretching, exercising

4. Verbal - I think I could score better on Verbal - at some point I caught myself day-dreaming while spending about 4-5 minutes on choosing between two possible answer for either SC or CR question - maybe, the result of postponed exam and general fatigue.

While finalizing the exam I was not sure about how well I did.
Then I saw the Unofficial score which made me very happy although I was still worried about IR and AWA (btw, probably it's better to play with Write before the exam in order to reduce stress)

I don't know why but before the exam I was hoping for 740 score but I got 730 which is still higher than my initial target so I am happy :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: 730 (Q50, V39) [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 20:06
Congratulations for your great score!!

730 is a very competitive score to apply to top programs. Great!

Did you write the MGMAT exams, and if so, could you let us know your MGMAT scores?
Re: 730 (Q50, V39)   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2013, 20:06