Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 09:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

730 Today (Q48, V46)!!! Thanks to everyone on this forum

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

730 Today (Q48, V46)!!! Thanks to everyone on this forum [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 14:16
I finally broke the 700 barrier today on my second attempt :lol: . I've never posted on this site before, but I 've been browsing it a lot over the past couple of months!!!

So I just want to thenk everyone here on this site. You guys may not know me, but I have got to know all of you and I am grateful.

It was actually my second attempt. First time round I got 650 (Q41, V39), so I'm really please.... and hey it proves to any other retakers that it can be done. One piece of advice I would like to give everyone is not to be disheartened by low practice test scores. I've done tests by Kaplan, Princeton, PP, and GMATPREP. Only PP, and the new GMATPrep give anything like an indication. IF you wanted to know though I got:

Before My First real test
Kaplan Diagnostic 630
Kaplan 1 - 560
Princeton 1 - 610
Princeton 2 - 610
Princeton 3 - 610
Princeton 4 - 630
REAL GMAT - 650
PP - 650
PP - 680

And then 2nd time round in the past couple of weeks:

GMATPREP 1 - 690 (Q44, V40)
GMATPREP 2 - 760 (Q48, V46)

I have to say that I have a real gripe with these bogus 'adaptive' tests by Princeton and Kaplan :( :x . They are not really adaptive at all, and they just hurt my confidence going in for the real test. I highly recommend sticking to the genuine stuff PP and GMATPrep. Also as you will see from my diary, my study focused mostly around the OG 10th edition.

Right now I totally exhausted, but I'm also excited becuase I am about to go on a well earned holiday to California in......eleven hours time! So I'll post a full account of what happened when I get back. In the meantime I've attached a diary of every one of the 130 hours I spent preparing as well as a list of all the questions I got wrong in the OG or was unsure about, with explanations. But I'll be more than happy to answer anyone's questions when I get back...

Good Luck to anyone who is due to take the test whilst I am away....

Thanks to All

Nahaz
Attachments

GMAT Diary.xls [118 KiB]
Downloaded 178 times

To download please login or register as a user

GMAT Diary.xls [118 KiB]
Downloaded 79 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 17:18
wow...congragulations.....
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 17:22
congratulations !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2005, 18:04
congratz, thanks for the spreadsheet. its really helpful
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2005, 02:40
Excellent!!

Congrats and well done!!

:beer

Cheers mate,
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2005, 09:21
Congratulations and thanks for the GMAT diary...it's very helpful!

My computer is rather old and do not have the capacity to download GMAT prep. What is the difference between PP and GMAT prep? Are there any overlapped question types? From your test experience, which one mirrors the real test better? PP or GMAT prep??
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMATPrep and PowerPrep [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 00:23
Amba,

I would say the GMATPREP is very accurate as I got 690/760 on it and then 730 in the real thing....so in terms of scoring it is vey close. They are supposed to be totally new questions, but there were still a couple that I recognised from the OG. My PP scores were a lot lower but I that was before my first attempt and were probably a good reflection of where I was at that time.

I would say the questions are very close, especially the verbal. I've noticed that some of the books like Kaplan 800 try to mimic the GMATS own quirky take on English grammar in the SC, and doesn't get it right in the same way that both PP and GMATPrep does. The Quant is harder BUT the scoring system like the real GMAT is based on one in which it is the questions you get right that matter, rather than how many. I got 48 on the quant even though I got 11 questions wrong. So whilst I found it really difficult and felt that I was doing badly, in fact the test was deliberately setting me questions that were pushing my limits. The real exam was slightly easier, but I had exactly the same feeling that I was doing badly. I think its really important that you get practice at being put under pressure by the test's adaptive nature in this way. It's designed to make you feel like you are doing badly, but rewards you big for the questions you get right (even if only about 2/3rds).

So definitely try to do the GMATPrep AND PP if you can.... no in fact you actually you have to do them. Please, I pormise it'll be worth the hassle of borrowing a friends computer for a few hours, and you can always uninstall it afterwards.

I'm still on hols.... Good Luck!

Nahaz
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 11:13
Nahaz,

Thanks for your input....it definitely helps!!

Cheers,
AMBA
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 12:27
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh congrats! :)

Praveen

[#permalink] 21 Sep 2005, 12:27