Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2015, 14:19
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

740 (49Q 42V)...glad to see the back side of that...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

740 (49Q 42V)...glad to see the back side of that... [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2006, 15:19
Just sat for my 1st try today...

The scores broke out as:
49 Q (90th percentile)
42 V (95th percentile)
740 total (98th percentile)

My practice scores were:

Kaplan CAT #1 550 (26Q, 37V)
GMATPrep #1 700 (43Q, 41V)
GMATPrep #2 710 (44Q, 44V)

As far as my preparation, I started about six weeks ago with the Kaplan Premier book, followed by the GMAC Verbal and Math guides. I had the 11th ed. OG and the Kaplan Math workbook, but I didn't complete them before I had to sit for the GMAT.

My observations:
AWA was more straightforward than I expected; maybe I just got lucky with the topics.

Quant was a nightmare, as this is my weak point. I felt like I was guessing on 50% of the questions past #10. I'm stunned that I did as well as I did.

Verbal is very similar to the OG. The RCs are perhaps a little bit more complex. SC is my weak spot, but as others on the board have observed, it seems a little bit more shaded toward clarity and conciseness as opposed to probing your grammatical skills. CR very similar to OG.

Bottom line: I'm stunned but very happy. Obviously, I'm flabbergasted at my success on the quant; perhaps the hardest ones were experimentals or maybe I just guessed well. I expected to do a little better than I did on the verbal, but I'm happy with the result.

My advice:

1) Kaplan Premier and Math are excellent prep if you are weak or rusty on quant. The math review in the back of the Kaplan Premier book is worth the price of the Kaplan book alone.

2) OG verbal is the best way to prepare for the verbal, especially the CR and RC questions. I found the Kaplan verbal questions to be ambiguous, either because they are trying to be harder or because they can't write these questions as well as GMAC.

3) Most important: do the GMATPrep tests. The nature of the CAT is that it will quickly take you to your level of discomfort and keep you there. No matter how badly you think you are doing on the real test, you are scoring much better than you think. Manage your time, guess on a question or two to get your time to questions ratio back in line if you have to.

Like I said, I'm a little dumbfounded at my scores, but very happy. I was looking to apply to MS program at a solid state school, and I was shooting for a 650. I don't think this changes where I'll apply, but it doesn't hurt.

Hope this helps, good luck to everyone on GMATClub...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2006, 15:23
Slippy,

Great score!! I know it felt good to finally see 7XX and be done with this mess that we call the 'GMAT'. I am taking the test on Thursday and hopefully I can come back here with the same good news as yourself!!!

Go party for all of us!
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2006, 15:38
outstanding!!! nice math score for someone who thinks s/he is weak in math :lol:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

:band
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 1753 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2006, 16:45
Intern
Intern

Re: 740 (49Q 42V)...glad to see the back side of that... [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2006, 23:30
slippy wrote:
My advice:

1) Kaplan Premier and Math are excellent prep if you are weak or rusty on quant. The math review in the back of the Kaplan Premier book is worth the price of the Kaplan book alone.

2) OG verbal is the best way to prepare for the verbal, especially the CR and RC questions. I found the Kaplan verbal questions to be ambiguous, either because they are trying to be harder or because they can't write these questions as well as GMAC.

I thought the exact same thing and now i feel more confident after hearing it from a successful test taker.

Congratulations buddy

"Can't Died in the Battel of Try"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 06:43
Great score!!!

It's surprising to see how well you did in Quant based on your previous Cats.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 11:27
Thanks...the info I got on GMATClub was very helpful, so thank you to everyone on the board. I took the GMAT back in 1987 (rang up a 650, which back then was good enough for the top 10 schools), and it's a totally different test today.

Yes, my quant score is a shocker...I can only explain it two ways: 1) where I was guessing (which seemed like a lot as I got deeper into the quant section), I was knocking out two or three choices, so the odds were much improved, and 2) I'm much more of a verbal person and do much better on word problems, so this could have lifted my score.

Some further observations:
1) I wish I had taken more practice tests, not so much for the practice but to increase my mental stamina. I was looking to ring up a 99th percentile in verbal, and I think the sole reason I didn't was that my brain was fried by the time I got to the verbal section. I didn't take the breaks because I didn't want to break my concentration...don't know if I'd change this, but I was wiped out by the time I was done. I went to an Irish pub after and drank seven Guinnesses...

2) As I got deeper into the quant, it wasn't that the questions got harder. Rather, they had little tricks and permutations that weren't super tough to figure out but forced you to burn up more time. For example, there was one rate problem where three pumps were pumping simultaneously, two out and one in. I had never seen this before, but it's not tough to figure out. However, the tank is only half-full (again, not tough to figure out, but another opportunity to make a mistake) and while the rates are given in gallons per hour, they want the answer in minutes. So, not an especially tough question, but lots of places to trip up and/or waste time.

3) I don't remember seeing any probability/permutation problems. I remember a few number properties questions, and the standard assortment of geometry and x-y coordinate problems. Learning the special triangles definitely saved me some time, because I was able to immediately plug in data without calculating.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 12:21
Ahh!!! You got my desired score. Awesome job! I bet those beers tasted pretty good...
  [#permalink] 31 Aug 2006, 12:21