Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

740 GMAT (48Q / 44V) - What is the new quant percentile min?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

740 GMAT (48Q / 44V) - What is the new quant percentile min? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 15:56
Hello GMATClub,

I have lurked on this forum for years, but I only began studying for the GMAT over the past month. Today, I took the test for the first time and received a score of 740.

While I am ecstatic over the 44 Verbal (98th percentile) and 740 overall (97th percentile), the 48 Quant (76th percentile) smarts.

I hear chatter both ways regarding quant scores. Some still swear by the 80% / 80% rule. I have also heard that Wharton AdCom specifically wants to see a > 80th percentile Quant score. Others say that the 80% / 80% rule no longer holds. They note that AdComs have reviewed the academic performance of past 48 Quant scorers and believe prospective students with the score are plenty qualified to handle the academic rigor.

How do AdComs compare students' unscaled scores? The GMAC claims that unscaled scores from two different years represent the same level of aptitude. If an applicant who took the test two years ago (e.g. 48 quant, 81st percentile) and an applicant who took the test today (e.g. 48 quant, 76th percentile) are compared, are the percentiles considered? Are students who took the test two years ago now also disadvantaged? Have AdComs instead begun to embrace a preferred unscaled score threshold instead of a preferred percentile threshold? (Of course there is no required threshold, but the AdComs do seem to have preferred scores.)

After answering the above, could you also consider my personal situation? Should I consider retaking the exam specifically to meet the Quant 80th percentile threshold? I am looking to apply in round 2 this year to multiple top 8 schools (specifically, the schools with stronger finance programs). My feeling is retaking the exam would be unnecessary as I have a CPA, I am a CFA level 3 candidate, I have an undergraduate degree with concentrations in accounting and finance (3.56 GPA from Boston College CSOM), and I work in a quant-heavy industry (business valuation). However, I am concerned that finance-focused schools are looking for higher quant scores, and I am worried a lower quant score may weaken the rest of my academic profile.

Thank you for your advice.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 740 GMAT (48Q / 44V) - What is the new quant percentile min? [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 01:19
Great info!! thanx
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 740 GMAT (48Q / 44V) - What is the new quant percentile min? [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 05:55
PlacePhraseHere wrote:
Hello GMATClub,

I have lurked on this forum for years, but I only began studying for the GMAT over the past month. Today, I took the test for the first time and received a score of 740.

While I am ecstatic over the 44 Verbal (98th percentile) and 740 overall (97th percentile), the 48 Quant (76th percentile) smarts.

I hear chatter both ways regarding quant scores. Some still swear by the 80% / 80% rule. I have also heard that Wharton AdCom specifically wants to see a > 80th percentile Quant score. Others say that the 80% / 80% rule no longer holds. They note that AdComs have reviewed the academic performance of past 48 Quant scorers and believe prospective students with the score are plenty qualified to handle the academic rigor.

How do AdComs compare students' unscaled scores? The GMAC claims that unscaled scores from two different years represent the same level of aptitude. If an applicant who took the test two years ago (e.g. 48 quant, 81st percentile) and an applicant who took the test today (e.g. 48 quant, 76th percentile) are compared, are the percentiles considered? Are students who took the test two years ago now also disadvantaged? Have AdComs instead begun to embrace a preferred unscaled score threshold instead of a preferred percentile threshold? (Of course there is no required threshold, but the AdComs do seem to have preferred scores.)

After answering the above, could you also consider my personal situation? Should I consider retaking the exam specifically to meet the Quant 80th percentile threshold? I am looking to apply in round 2 this year to multiple top 8 schools (specifically, the schools with stronger finance programs). My feeling is retaking the exam would be unnecessary as I have a CPA, I am a CFA level 3 candidate, I have an undergraduate degree with concentrations in accounting and finance (3.56 GPA from Boston College CSOM), and I work in a quant-heavy industry (business valuation). However, I am concerned that finance-focused schools are looking for higher quant scores, and I am worried a lower quant score may weaken the rest of my academic profile.

Thank you for your advice.

Don't bother retaking. It's a great score and there is no guarantee that you won't score worse the second time. Since you also have a CPA and you are a CFA level 3 candidate, there really shouldn't be any concern over your quant abilities.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: 740 GMAT (48Q / 44V) - What is the new quant percentile min? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 17:27
Expert's post
Congratulations on a STELLAR GMAT score!

You are certainly well-positioned with your scores such that the admissions decision will be made based upon your other factors (i.e. you've demonstrated that you can handle the academic rigor of the program, including the quant side). Worse case, if a school wanted to be particularly strict about the 80th percentile for quant (which you are correct has shifted in recent years as scores rise), they may ask you to take an additional test or short course to demonstrate your quant ability. But they do also look for other areas within your application where you demonstrate quantitative ability, and you have those through your undergrad quantitative work as well as CPA/CFA.

Very generally yes, schools prefer 80th percentiles in an ideal world, but in the upper 70's is very close especially as scores have shifted up, and if your overall score was lower or your overall percentile lower, it could be more of an issue, but your overall is excellent for any program. And the guidelines are 'approximate' at most programs vs a hard and fast line-in-the-sand cut-off.

Good luck to you, and I encourage you to now turn your attention to those essays-- the one component of the application where you create something from SCRATCH to represent who you are ! No pressure ;) but definitely a lot of opportunity there that can make or break an application in many cases.

All the best!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Re: 740 GMAT (48Q / 44V) - What is the new quant percentile min?   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2013, 17:27