Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: 740 GMAT and Not Getting Into Top-10 Schools [#permalink]
As another over-represented demographic, I think extracurriculars are even more important because those become major differentiation factors. While, I agree on your volunteer perspective, top bschools are competitive and there are plenty of similar applicants who are willing to put in the extra time to volunteer. Seems like everyone I know that applied to mba is a leader, founder or board member of this or that nonprofit. The feedback I've gotten is volunteer experience demonstrates to adcoms at least an effort to 'play the game.' Congrats on Stern and consider using a consultant next cycle if you didn't this last time. Best of luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
I think you're underselling yourself. Stanford and Wharton are extremely competitive and there is a glut of qualified applications, they can't see them all. I also had what I was told is a strong profile (770GMAT, strong GPA, good work experience with a lot of leadership and 'extras' at work, multiple certifications in finance) and did not receive an interview from either, but was accepted elsewhere and also placed on further consideration at HBS. You were selected to interview at three of the top MBA programs in the world. The triple waitlist must have stung but obviously you had something going for you, and chances are you will get off of one of them.

Why did you apply to Stern if you wouldn't attend? Have you done enough research and sold yourself on the individual programs? That may be something that shone through in your applications.

I read an article a while back that broke down surveys of what adcoms really rate most highly for incoming applicants; WE and GMAT ruled supreme, with community service far down the list. I know they tout that aspect in the media but I think they just want to see that people are doing SOMETHING meaningful outside of work. Of course, some people probably get in based on amazing volunteer work, but for most it is just part of a well rounded application.
GMAT Club Bot