Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: 740 GMAT, but low quant score (62nd percentile) [#permalink]
Urval,

Congrats on the fantastic score. While 62 is low, but given your other accomplishments, I would agree with Paul here. Just make sure that you do highlight these aspects in some ways into your application rather than them being passively present. The recommenders bit is another great way.

So go for it. You may find our MBA MAP useful in school selection btw.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
urval87,

You should be fine. First of all, 45 isn't bad - it's just 5 notches below what most schools consider exceptional ability level. That the associated percentile ranking is low simply indicates that Math is easy to train for.

Given your finance background, I wouldn't worry about your quant score at all. Shoot for the moon!

Regards,
Karthik

urval87 wrote:
Hi,

I just took the GMAT today and scored a 740 (45Q, 47V). I'm really happy with the overall score as it's a big improvement over the one from my previous attempt (700).

However, I am a bit worried about my low quant percentile. I've heard that top programs prefer balanced scores. Can the fact that I'm a CFA charterholder and that I have done serious financial analysis and modeling work in the past 5 years offset this anomaly on my application? My recommenders can testify for my analytical ability - I am an analyst covering the banking sector by profession.

Edit: I forgot to add that I have really high scores in quant oriented subjects like international finance and stats on my undergrad transcript.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Harvard Club Lecturer
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
City: Los Angeles
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 1998
Send PM
Expert Reply
urval87 wrote:
Hi,

I just took the GMAT today and scored a 740 (45Q, 47V). I'm really happy with the overall score as it's a big improvement over the one from my previous attempt (700).

However, I am a bit worried about my low quant percentile. I've heard that top programs prefer balanced scores. Can the fact that I'm a CFA charterholder and that I have done serious financial analysis and modeling work in the past 5 years offset this anomaly on my application? My recommenders can testify for my analytical ability - I am an analyst covering the banking sector by profession.

Edit: I forgot to add that I have really high scores in quant oriented subjects like international finance and stats on my undergrad transcript.

I'm going to take a slightly different point of view here than what has been offered. The critical question is not whether it is good enough, but whether you can do materially better. This process has become so competitive these last few years, and I advise my clients who are shooting high to leave nothing on the table. If your practice tests were in line with this quant percentile and you don't feel you can do better than fine--go forward and don't look back. But if you feel you could do better and have the time, then yes, why not work even harder and go for the 760-770! It may just help you inch out some other folks from your demographic/professional segment.

So yes, 740 is a great overall score, but taking it again depends on what more you can achieve, and if you want to submit yourself again the GMAT:)

Alex
GMAT Club Bot