Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

740 in just 1 month with OG only

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
8 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 21 [8] , given: 5

740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I have been following GMATClub ever since I started my GMAT prep but started posting only after I completed my GMAT. I have got immense help from this site and thought it's time to share my experience.

Let me first share my GRE experience, for reasons explained! I scored 1170 (Verbal 370/800) in GRE after 3 months of preparation and was totally shattered. :cry: But, somehow I got a feeling that well, while my vocab is abysmal (I'm not a native English speaker), it won't stop me from doing well in GMAT! Thus began my journey for GMAT.

Materials used:
  1. GMAT Review Official Guide 12
  2. whiplash2411's Verbal Flash Cards
    Attachment:
    File comment: Whiplash Verbal Flash Cards by whiplash2411 <again, don't sue me, please!>
    Whiplash Verbal Flashcards.pdf [358.91 KiB]
    Downloaded 568 times
    To download please login or register as a user

3. 800score AWA Guide
    Attachment:
    File comment: AWA Guide by 800score <don't sue me, please!>
    2004-09-02_160638_800scoreAWAGuide.pdf [325.91 KiB]
    Downloaded 352 times
    To download please login or register as a user

4. chineseburned's guide on AWA
  5. whiplash2411's GMAT debrief

I really did not want to spend a lot on GMAT and thought, "Heyy! If I can go through the entire 800 real questions of GMAT in the Official Guide, there is no reason why I would need anything else!!" :idea:

Quant:
I initially had a few hiccups in the probability and permutation-combination. I just went through my high school books on them and things got sorted. Soon, the only problem I was having with Quant section was finding them too easy and thus making silly mistakes due to lack of concentration.

Verbal:
Now this was something I was worried about. I never had much problem with RC and CR was also kinda okay but SC gave me a headache right from the beginning. Even a few days before the test I was getting only about 50% of the SCs correct. Then whiplash's verbal flash cards (attached) helped me a lot. I owe her a biiig thanks! :lol:

AWA:
I did not give them a thought till 5 days left. I went through chineseburned & 800score AWA guides which gave me quite an idea about the writing structure. I practiced a few essays and went through all the issue topics just once taking a mental note about ideas.

Study Strategy:
My study strategy was simple. I decided to practice a little everything every day. I divided the total number of questions in each section in equal sections for 14 days of study. So, each day I was doing about 17 PS, 12-13 DS and 10 each in RC, CR & SC questions each day. That meant I studied about 2-3 hours for 14 days. Yes, that's all I studied!!

Once, I got a confidence, I booked my date for GMAT. I am an impatient type of person and really can't prepare for something for too long. I realized if I try to prepare more and more, soon I'll get frustrated and screw it up. So, it was more like slam-bam-thank you GMAT kinda experience for me! :wink:

Practice Test Scores:
GMATPrep 1 = 710
Knewton = 710
Princeton Review = 650 :cry:
Kaplan = 640 :evil:
Veritas Prep = 680
Manhattan = 690
GMATPrep 2 = 690

As you can understand, I was really shaken seeing my scores dipping after starting rather decent. Nevertheless, I remain calm and composed for the test.
:arrow: Advice: I practiced all my mock tests in my real GMAT timings and it helped me a lot to set my biological clock. Do that :!:

The G-Day:
I'm normally a morning person but the earliest slot available was 10:00. That would have meant a 4 hour appointment would have left me hungry in the middle of the exam. I certainly did not want that. I took a convenient 14:00 appointment so that I could finish my lunch properly and then go for the test.

I made sure I did not eat anything funny for the last 2-3 days. I had good long sleep last night followed by a light breakfast and early lunch. It took me some time to find the test center. The lady at the test center was friendly and the center was rather okay. However, the keyboard was a disaster as it was old and not at all easy to press. Moreover it was making really loud noises. And the chair added some noises too! But those were something beyond my control, so I thought, "What the heck, let's get this over with."

Essay topics did not please me. However I went with the flow and wrote some gibber-jabber. I just had some water and went to the restroom during the break. I strictly wanted to avoid food. I did not take the full break (I hate simply sitting idly), came back after 3 minutes, I think.

Quant was going rather well till about 25th question. I got stuck with one question for really long then. Although I had plenty of time in the world, I just made an intelligent guess and moved on. I told myself probably it was an experimental question and so don't worry. I was pretty surprised to finally see I finished off with 12 minutes left on the clock! :o

After again a short break (3-4 min), I went back for the Verbal. I was rather happy with my Quant so had a really positive feeling about crossing 700 in total. Verbal went rather okay, or so I thought. I had a little time scare towards the end but kept my cool and finished off with 2 minutes on hand.

The Official Score:

740 (Q50, V40, AWA 5.0)

When I saw the score, well boy, was I surprised? I was shocked to the core of my heart! 30 marks above my highest score ever?? It was bizarrely breathtaking!! I was like, "Yes yes yes"!! I never remembered being that happy, ever!! :-D

And kids, that is how I scored a 740! :-D

If you find this post useful, leave a kudos :smile: | GMAT Debrief: 740 in just 1 month with OG only!

Last edited by saptak1990 on 10 Jul 2011, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 20

Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 10:43
fantastic, congratulations!!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 16:28
Congratulations
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 04:52
Congratulations!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 12:09
this is amazing..

i am really struggling to make progress on the SC in which I am really weak. have gone thru OG12 once but feel like I need to do it one more time.. I am really not sure as to how I can break the 700 barrier. Really feel low and de-moralized..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 15:43
Congratulations!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 20:11
Congratulations
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 5

Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 21:23
This post received
KUDOS
thanks all for the congrats! :-D

badrimallik wrote:
this is amazing..

i am really struggling to make progress on the SC in which I am really weak. have gone thru OG12 once but feel like I need to do it one more time.. I am really not sure as to how I can break the 700 barrier. Really feel low and de-moralized..

hi badrimallik,

My advice would be go through the answer explanations in OG12. Those really helped me understand where I was going wrong. Besides, there are a few standard patterns in which GMAT tests you in SC. Once you get the idea of where you are being tested, you can quickly recognize those areas in questions. That's how it worked for me. All the best for your next attempt. :wink:

If you find this post useful, leave a kudos :smile: | GMAT Debrief: 740 in just 1 month with OG only!

1 KUDOS received
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 13:07
This post received
KUDOS
congrats...ATB
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 465 [1] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 17:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Very nice score, saptak1990! Your GMAT journey, while short, was organized and tailored to your needs. Congrats!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 346

Kudos [?]: 1662 [1] , given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 17:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Congratulations!!! :)

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
a very good ROI! :) congrats..
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 20:59
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks. good story and for the tips.
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 1332 [1] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 22:45
This post received
KUDOS
Just read this thread. Congrats :) Glad the materials were useful. :D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
First and foremost, congratulation saptak1990 on getting such an amazing score by smart preparation. :)
Also, thanks a ton for sharing this experience of yours. It has really boosted up my confidence level.
I have a couple of questions:
1) You have mentioned that you have taken practice tests from 7 different publishers. How many number of tests in total did you take before facing the GMAT and also within how many days did you take these tests? It would great if you could share how you reviewed the results & answers of each practice test you took(like, how much u spent by comparing your answers etc....).
2) Can we find these tests free of cost anywhere? [for example, it costs nearly Rs.3K to get the Manhattan tests along with the material :cry: ]
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 23:05
This post received
KUDOS
congrats
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 5

Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 23:13
This post received
KUDOS
ArunJonathan wrote:
First and foremost, congratulation saptak1990 on getting such an amazing score by smart preparation. :)
Also, thanks a ton for sharing this experience of yours. It has really boosted up my confidence level.
I have a couple of questions:
1) You have mentioned that you have taken practice tests from 7 different publishers. How many number of tests in total did you take before facing the GMAT and also within how many days did you take these tests? It would great if you could share how you reviewed the results & answers of each practice test you took(like, how much u spent by comparing your answers etc....).
2) Can we find these tests free of cost anywhere? [for example, it costs nearly Rs.3K to get the Manhattan tests along with the material :cry: ]

Happy to help 8-)

1. I took a GMATPrep test about 2 weeks before my actual GMAT to understand where I stand. Once I realized it's okay, I booked the test date. Then I took practice test for the last 8-9 days except the last day. I did not want any tension on the day before GMAT, so I only reviewed my preparations. I analyzed each of my incorrect answers in each of the tests. Although after the test it's a bit tiring, still I would advice to review your incorrect answers right away. This way I could learn from my mistakes and (try to) not repeat again. :)

2. I know the price is a big deal. :( That's why I used the free tests only. 8-) Here you can find links to the most popular free tests. Other than that, there are always many available tests when you google "free GMAT practice test".

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 23:26
This post received
KUDOS
Wow! Thanks for sharing that.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Looking for Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 23:51
congrats!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 6

Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats on great score with very few resources!. Pretty encouraging!!
Re: 740 in just 1 month with OG only   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2011, 06:39