Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 14:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

740...mixed feelings

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 97
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 12

Reviews Badge
740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 11:30
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi guys,

Just back from my test center. Received a score of 740(Q-50,V-39). I've so many mixed feelings about my experiences during my preps, exam & post exam.

Before I begin, I would like to warn you, that this is going to be one hell of a post.

Background: 23 year old Indian male, did my IT engineering in 2010 (7.8 CGPA) from one of the premier engineering colleges in India. Worked at Cisco for about 10 months, and later started my own manufacturing business. In addition, I have interned at Yahoo, for 6 months.
The reason for quitting Cisco was I desperately wanted to get out of the software field and get into finance/consulting. After a few failed attempts at some consulting companies, an opportunity came my way to start a business, so I plunged into without thinking twice.

How i ended up giving GMAT : I've always wanted to do an mba, but never had thought of doing it from abroad. After getting into business, few months down the line, I realized that I need to study further. I dont know what the reason was, maybe because the business was not going so great, or could be because of the fact that I felt stagnated & wanted to increase my knowledge further, get a decent work-ex for a few years & then probably get into business. And my only exit option was to get an mba. Last November, I gave my CAT( entrance exam for getting into IIMs) & was quite confident about getting a decent score to get into atleast one of the IIMs. When the results were announced in Jan, I was devastated. I got a meager 96%ile (which by CAT standards is nothing). Due to my overconfidence, I had not applied to any other 2-tier B-schools & by the time the results came, it was too late to apply to other good colleges. I did not want to do an mba from an unreputed college, for I believe that holds little value. I felt humiliated.

To add up to my misery, most of my friends had got decent percentiles and had interview calls from the IIM's. I will be lying if I say I was not jealous. I was happy for them, but sad for myself. For almost a month I was almost under depression. Then somehow I braced up myself and decided to give GMAT. It was mid-feb by then, and without giving a 2nd thought, I booked a slot for 22nd May, the latest I could get before the pattern changed.

Preperation: When i booked my gmat slot, I was not even aware of the contents of the test. Had absolutely no idea what's a good score and what's not. Before starting my prep, I took a week-long break to attend my friend's bros wedding, did some fun activities with my friends, rafting, etc. and by 29th feb, was back home afresh & ready to start. Gave my gmatprep 1 at the very beginning and scored a 650 (Q50,V30). I was satisfied with my quant( although i missed the last question due to lack of time) but verbal took me off my feet. It was during this time while surfing for study material & stuff, I came across GMATclub. It was simply the best thing that could have happened to my preparation. It gave me inspiration & guidance. I was not even aware of the books to be purchased. Somehow, based on the reviews i heard, I got myself the OG(unfortunately the pdf version---a big no-no, do get the hard copy) & manhattan SC,CR and RC & Kaplan premier. I took printouts of huge bold-lettered A4 pages with my dream score (which btw is 770-q51,v42) written on it, and pasted it on my wall & also made it my desktop background. It motivated me throughout my journey.

It didn't took me long to figure out that SC was my weak area. So 80% of my entire study time was devoted entirely to SC. For the whole of March & April, I went through all the theory I could gather for Verbal & daily did around 20-30 problems from the forums. It did help a lot. I gave my 1st MGMAT on 1st April and every week from then, I gave a test just to figure out where i stand. Since, I am self-employed (& coz the business was not going great either), I devoted most of my time to studies. I used to prepare for about 6-8 hours daily.

Quant:The only prep I did for maths was practice tests. Fortunately, I have a pretty decent foundation in maths, but I knew that i needed to improve upon my speed. Concept was not much of a problem but speed was. At the same time, I needed practice for DS. There are so many tricks up its sleeves that it can take you down and you wont even realize. I cannott thank bb/bunnel more for the wonderful question sets they complied and prepared from various sources. Somewhere in March, there was a free access to GMAT club tests for a day. I exploited it to the fullest extent and gave about 12-14 exams in a day, non-stop, back to back. My average accuracy was around 85%, but the biggest benefit was that I had improved my speed tremendously, I could finish the test in almost 60-65 mins. From that day onwards every week, I used to solve a few questions of quant just to stay in touch, apart from the weekly tests i wrote.

RC: I was petrified of RC. Simply do not know what to be done of RC. My accuracy ranged from 0-100% in RC. Somehow, during the later stages of my prep, I came across Aristotle99, did around 10 passages of each difficulty level. That atleast prepared me in reading abstract passages.

CR: I thought I'm pretty good at logic. But my accuracy never crossed the 70% mark. It was then after a friend suggested, i got PowerScore CR. Wow......what a book!! simply a must-have. I finished the book in 2 days along with all the practice questions, and my accuracy shot up to 90% in just 2 days.

SC: Finally, the beast that almost consumed me. MGMAT SC is simply THE BOOK. Period. Dont even think twice. Just go and get it. Infact, worship that book. I went through the book almost 5-6 times. Make it your friend and it will make your journey easy...very easy.

It was in May that I came across the gmatprep questions zip file. There are more than 800 official questions of Verbal in that doc. What better practice than official questions. In 2 weeks, I complete the entire set. Whichever question i got wrong, I googled it and found that it was discussed on the MGMAT forums. One kind suggestion: Pls rely on only experts opinions for Verbal explanantions, else you will end up confusing yourself. Ron, Stacey & the MGMAT team.....you guys simply rock!!

My Prep Scores:

Gprep1: 650
MGMAT1: 720 51/36 (after almost a month of preparation)
GPrep 2: 720 50/37
MGMAT2: 730 51/37 ( by this time, I was extremely disappointed by the stagnant verbal)
Took a break for a week from tests, strengthened my CR/SC and bounced back
MGMAT3: 750 51/40
MGMAT4: 770 51/44 (ahhh.....my dream score.....was so happy that I played DOTA all night :-D )
Gprep2 : 750 51/40 (got a few repeats)
MGMAT5: 730 50/37 (brought me back to reality, this was 10 days before my test.....actually had lots of distractions during my test)
MGMAT6: 780 51/45 (this was my WTF moment....2 days before the exam)

During my last few days, I didn't prepare much except for the reviewing all the problems that I had got wrong from OG/Gprep doc. I used to copy and paste all the problems that i got wrong in a wordfile to review at a later stage.

EXAM DAY : I was pretty much confident of doing extremely well. There was nothing I could do more to prepare. I had almost exhausted everything that is available for free :-D. I'm a very lazy person & can sleep for 12-15 hours daily. But the day before my exam, I just couldn't sleep. I tried every possible way to get me some sleep but to no avail. 4 hours later, when nothing worked, I turned on my laptop and started reading about Socrates & KArl MArx. Even that did little to make me sleepy. Finally, after about 7 hours of my desperate attempts, I managed to get some sleep (I dreamt of me being an ruthless assassin. In fact when I woke up at 9 in the morning, i had killed almost 42 people......omg I'm a psychopath!!! ) When i woke up, I almost felt like crying. My body did not get the rest it required. I already knew that I have screwed my exam. Since their was no way of postponing it, I went ahead with the exam.

I could feel the effort I had to put in while writing the AWA. Argument was ok, but i'm not even sure of what i wrote for the issue. I hope i get at least 4.5. Quant was decent but, I got around 8 DS questions in a row from 6-13, some of which were by far the toughest questions I have come across. My brain almost stopped processing. Somehow, I managed to get past Quant. By the time i reached the last question, I had 15 mins left on my clock. I simply wished, only if I would have spend a little more time on those DS questions, I would have got a far better score.

Verbal was the toughest I've come across. RC's were doable, but SC was super-tough. Most of the SC questions didnt had the traditional flaws (i.e S-V, parallelism, modifier, tenses) It was more meaning related and very close options. I got only 10 CR questions and none of the weaken/strengthen/conclusion/must be true type. All abstract questions, method of reasoning, evaluate argument, complete the passage & just 1 assumption question. If no one were watching me, I surely would have cried. I had to guess the 39th CR question for I was running out of time. By the time, I was done. I knew that I had screwed up.

When I got my score, I was simply numb. I just couldn't react. The Pearson guy actually came and ask me to get up from my seat. I had decided before hand that if I get 730 or less, I will retake, anything above 750 is great. But never did I thought of 740. I do feel that considering the conditions in which i gave exam, this is a decent score. I know that with a breakup of 50-39, people have even scored 720, but I'm probably lucky.

Am i happy?.....I dont know
Am I satisfied? definetly no.

I do not know whether I should retake the test or no. I know most of you will advice against retake, but I simple am not satisfied. I guess I need guidance and advice.


Its almost been 3 hours since I'm typing this debrief. I do need to add a lot of things, some take-aways, etc. , but I'm simple too tired. Will add it up later. I want to help out other guys who are writing their GMAT, I really do. This is the least I can do. Pls feel free to shoot any questions, I will be glad to answer them.

Regards,
Bhupesh

Last edited by zpotm on 23 May 2012, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12023
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2172

Kudos [?]: 7702 [0], given: 3628

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 11:54
Expert's post
I think the congratulations are in order! And congrats on using the GMAT Club Tests wisely!

Are you applying to Indian bschools only? how are their average scores compared to 740?

P.S. if you have a chance, can you please post a review of the test center?
http://gmatclub.com/reviews/?fl=menu
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 97
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 23:38
bb wrote:
I think the congratulations are in order! And congrats on using the GMAT Club Tests wisely!

Are you applying to Indian bschools only? how are their average scores compared to 740?

P.S. if you have a chance, can you please post a review of the test center?
http://gmatclub.com/reviews/?fl=menu


Thanks bb. What you did back in 2002 was indeed very visionary & revolutionary.

There is just ISB from India where I would be applying. I'm looking forward to get an mba from one of the top universities in the US. I've always dreamt of Harvard & Kellogg (Even though I never gave it a serious thought ever.)

Now, I dont know if I should even apply in the top universities considering the average score. Will be needing lots of help from you & other guys in near future. Will soon post my full profile.

Will post the review of the test center soon. If I do get a chance to come down to US, would surely love to meet you in person. :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 00:06
Would love to know more about the particular business you started! I wonder if that isn't a great story to sell to Harvard, etc. I can totally tell you that the top bschools dont look at GMAT alone. So, 740 is totally fine. Personally, I would think its awesome!
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 97
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 00:45
budablasta wrote:
Would love to know more about the particular business you started! I wonder if that isn't a great story to sell to Harvard, etc. I can totally tell you that the top bschools dont look at GMAT alone. So, 740 is totally fine. Personally, I would think its awesome!


Hi budablasta,

I totally agree with you that Gmat is just one of the many criteria. But in my case there are other factors such as average CGPA, limited work-ex, no international experience, age, Indian IT, etc. (although i have roamed half the places in thw world...as if it counts :P)

But yeah, my business is the only factor differentiating me from the huge pool of applicants with exceptional profiles. My experience there was invaluable & I do intend to sell it in the best possible manner.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 01:44
Forget all that - low gpa and all matters only upto a point.

But I really wonder - will you gain as much from an MBA without some good years of industry experience. Forget the question of will they accept you, ask yourself if you will appreciate the mba program as much as you would if you had a few years of industry experience under your belt

Plus, it is best that you are in the agegroup-range of your preferred bschool - europe it is 5-6years work experience, US it is little less but you need to be in that age-group range to gain the most i feel

i did my first mba from india when i was 22 and i can honestly tell you that i didnt gain as much from it as i can now 8 years later - hence applying to a UK top 5
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 97
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 02:23
I have debated this topic with myself for a very long time now. I did realize that MBA without experience probably wont add much value and thats precisely the reason i deffered it by 2 years in the 1st place.

Although I cannot compare my experience with heavyweights like you who have 7-8 years of work-ex, but my experience in my start-up was more than what many people can get even in 4-5 years of industry experience. Right from accounting, production & planning, logistics, marketing to labor management( i had 50-60 workers under me), I have done it all in last 1 year. I did had support from the partner with whom I started, but that was more of a remote help. I was the executive person in the drivers seat (maybe that explains why it is a failure!! ). The market is so bad that no one will give me now a job in a field whose experience will add anything of value. I need to start afresh.

I cannot give you a satisfactory answer as to why I need to do it next year. Being from a traditional background, I cannot see myself doing an MBA after I get married. That should happen in another 3-4 years.

I know you might disagree & you have all the right reasons but for me, it has to happen next year, hopefully (thank god i can use this word here, GMAT verbal rules are weird ) from a good university. I hope I'm not being too optimistic
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 02:37
if there's one thing we don't on this forum, it is be discouraging and cynical....what's the point!...look man, if you have to do an mba rightaway then you have to do it. go ahead

like i told you, you totally need to sell that startup story. it's got the meat but you need to be very strcutured in your thinking - i think its totally doable!!!!! add your many-country experience in too

and totally dont worry about the gmat score -- read some of the posts on retaking by bb
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 97
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 05:18
Yeah....you're absolutely right. Actually all these while, when nothing was working in my favor, I became too pessimist about myself. I will start looking positively. After all, my score is more than the mean of most of the top universities. So I guess it all depends on the other part of my applications & essays.

I did go through bb's post & I think its an amazing compilation & holds very sound advice.

Thanks :)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Decision Week!
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 262
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 58

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 15:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
A 740 is a 97th percentile. That means only 3% of test takers worldwide did better than you. I think it is completely unnecessary to retake after such a fantastic score. It is above the mean for each and every top US bschool. I think it is unlikely that any program will change their admissions decision if you were to have a 760 instead of a 740.

Check it off your list, and work on strengthening your candidacy in other areas.
Best wishes!
_________________

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 97
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 08:23
Thanks Lady....that was encouraging.

One Kind request.....For general queries regarding preparation & material, I request to post it in the forum rather than pm's so that every one can benefit from the same.

I've been receiving pm's about almost similar issues/questions from most of them, so rather than repetitively answering the same question again & again, It will be better for everyone here on the forum.

Please dont take it the wrong way. You are most welcome to PM for any queries.

Just my 2 cents
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2012
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 09:48
bbharuka wrote:
Hi guys,

Just back from my test center. Received a score of 740(Q-50,V-39). I've so many mixed feelings about my experiences during my preps, exam & post exam.

Before I begin, I would like to warn you, that this is going to be one hell of a post.

Background: 23 year old Indian male, did my IT engineering in 2010 (7.8 CGPA) from one of the premier engineering colleges in India. Worked at Cisco for about 10 months, and later started my own manufacturing business. In addition, I have interned at Yahoo, for 6 months.
The reason for quitting Cisco was I desperately wanted to get out of the software field and get into finance/consulting. After a few failed attempts at some consulting companies, an opportunity came my way to start a business, so I plunged into without thinking twice.

How i ended up giving GMAT : I've always wanted to do an mba, but never had thought of doing it from abroad. After getting into business, few months down the line, I realized that I need to study further. I dont know what the reason was, maybe because the business was not going so great, or could be because of the fact that I felt stagnated & wanted to increase my knowledge further, get a decent work-ex for a few years & then probably get into business. And my only exit option was to get an mba. Last November, I gave my CAT( entrance exam for getting into IIMs) & was quite confident about getting a decent score to get into atleast one of the IIMs. When the results were announced in Jan, I was devastated. I got a meager 96%ile (which by CAT standards is nothing). Due to my overconfidence, I had not applied to any other 2-tier B-schools & by the time the results came, it was too late to apply to other good colleges. I did not want to do an mba from an unreputed college, for I believe that holds little value. I felt humiliated.

To add up to my misery, most of my friends had got decent percentiles and had interview calls from the IIM's. I will be lying if I say I was not jealous. I was happy for them, but sad for myself. For almost a month I was almost under depression. Then somehow I braced up myself and decided to give GMAT. It was mid-feb by then, and without giving a 2nd thought, I booked a slot for 22nd May, the latest I could get before the pattern changed.

Preperation: When i booked my gmat slot, I was not even aware of the contents of the test. Had absolutely no idea what's a good score and what's not. Before starting my prep, I took a week-long break to attend my friend's bros wedding, did some fun activities with my friends, rafting, etc. and by 29th feb, was back home afresh & ready to start. Gave my gmatprep 1 at the very beginning and scored a 650 (Q50,V30). I was satisfied with my quant( although i missed the last question due to lack of time) but verbal took me off my feet. It was during this time while surfing for study material & stuff, I came across GMATclub. It was simply the best thing that could have happened to my preparation. It gave me inspiration & guidance. I was not even aware of the books to be purchased. Somehow, based on the reviews i heard, I got myself the OG(unfortunately the pdf version---a big no-no, do get the hard copy) & manhattan SC,CR and RC & Kaplan premier. I took printouts of huge bold-lettered A4 pages with my dream score (which btw is 770-q51,v42) written on it, and pasted it on my wall & also made it my desktop background. It motivated me throughout my journey.

It didn't took me long to figure out that SC was my weak area. So 80% of my entire study time was devoted entirely to SC. For the whole of March & April, I went through all the theory I could gather for Verbal & daily did around 20-30 problems from the forums. It did help a lot. I gave my 1st MGMAT on 1st April and every week from then, I gave a test just to figure out where i stand. Since, I am self-employed (& coz the business was not going great either), I devoted most of my time to studies. I used to prepare for about 6-8 hours daily.

Quant:The only prep I did for maths was practice tests. Fortunately, I have a pretty decent foundation in maths, but I knew that i needed to improve upon my speed. Concept was not much of a problem but speed was. At the same time, I needed practice for DS. There are so many tricks up its sleeves that it can take you down and you wont even realize. I cannott thank bb/bunnel more for the wonderful question sets they complied and prepared from various sources. Somewhere in March, there was a free access to GMAT club tests for a day. I exploited it to the fullest extent and gave about 12-14 exams in a day, non-stop, back to back. My average accuracy was around 85%, but the biggest benefit was that I had improved my speed tremendously, I could finish the test in almost 60-65 mins. From that day onwards every week, I used to solve a few questions of quant just to stay in touch, apart from the weekly tests i wrote.

RC: I was petrified of RC. Simply do not know what to be done of RC. My accuracy ranged from 0-100% in RC. Somehow, during the later stages of my prep, I came across Aristotle99, did around 10 passages of each difficulty level. That atleast prepared me in reading abstract passages.

CR: I thought I'm pretty good at logic. But my accuracy never crossed the 70% mark. It was then after a friend suggested, i got PowerScore CR. Wow......what a book!! simply a must-have. I finished the book in 2 days along with all the practice questions, and my accuracy shot up to 90% in just 2 days.

SC: Finally, the beast that almost consumed me. MGMAT SC is simply THE BOOK. Period. Dont even think twice. Just go and get it. Infact, worship that book. I went through the book almost 5-6 times. Make it your friend and it will make your journey easy...very easy.

It was in May that I came across the gmatprep questions zip file. There are more than 800 official questions of Verbal in that doc. What better practice than official questions. In 2 weeks, I complete the entire set. Whichever question i got wrong, I googled it and found that it was discussed on the MGMAT forums. One kind suggestion: Pls rely on only experts opinions for Verbal explanantions, else you will end up confusing yourself. Ron, Stacey & the MGMAT team.....you guys simply rock!!

My Prep Scores:

Gprep1: 650
MGMAT1: 720 51/36 (after almost a month of preparation)
GPrep 2: 720 50/37
MGMAT2: 730 51/37 ( by this time, I was extremely disappointed by the stagnant verbal)
Took a break for a week from tests, strengthened my CR/SC and bounced back
MGMAT3: 750 51/40
MGMAT4: 770 51/44 (ahhh.....my dream score.....was so happy that I played DOTA all night :-D )
Gprep2 : 750 51/40 (got a few repeats)
MGMAT5: 730 50/37 (brought me back to reality, this was 10 days before my test.....actually had lots of distractions during my test)
MGMAT6: 780 51/45 (this was my WTF moment....2 days before the exam)

During my last few days, I didn't prepare much except for the reviewing all the problems that I had got wrong from OG/Gprep doc. I used to copy and paste all the problems that i got wrong in a wordfile to review at a later stage.

EXAM DAY : I was pretty much confident of doing extremely well. There was nothing I could do more to prepare. I had almost exhausted everything that is available for free :-D. I'm a very lazy person & can sleep for 12-15 hours daily. But the day before my exam, I just couldn't sleep. I tried every possible way to get me some sleep but to no avail. 4 hours later, when nothing worked, I turned on my laptop and started reading about Socrates & KArl MArx. Even that did little to make me sleepy. Finally, after about 7 hours of my desperate attempts, I managed to get some sleep (I dreamt of me being an ruthless assassin. In fact when I woke up at 9 in the morning, i had killed almost 42 people......omg I'm a psychopath!!! ) When i woke up, I almost felt like crying. My body did not get the rest it required. I already knew that I have screwed my exam. Since their was no way of postponing it, I went ahead with the exam.

I could feel the effort I had to put in while writing the AWA. Argument was ok, but i'm not even sure of what i wrote for the issue. I hope i get at least 4.5. Quant was decent but, I got around 8 DS questions in a row from 6-13, some of which were by far the toughest questions I have come across. My brain almost stopped processing. Somehow, I managed to get past Quant. By the time i reached the last question, I had 15 mins left on my clock. I simply wished, only if I would have spend a little more time on those DS questions, I would have got a far better score.

Verbal was the toughest I've come across. RC's were doable, but SC was super-tough. Most of the SC questions didnt had the traditional flaws (i.e S-V, parallelism, modifier, tenses) It was more meaning related and very close options. I got only 10 CR questions and none of the weaken/strengthen/conclusion/must be true type. All abstract questions, method of reasoning, evaluate argument, complete the passage & just 1 assumption question. If no one were watching me, I surely would have cried. I had to guess the 39th CR question for I was running out of time. By the time, I was done. I knew that I had screwed up.

When I got my score, I was simply numb. I just couldn't react. The Pearson guy actually came and ask me to get up from my seat. I had decided before hand that if I get 730 or less, I will retake, anything above 750 is great. But never did I thought of 740. I do feel that considering the conditions in which i gave exam, this is a decent score. I know that with a breakup of 50-39, people have even scored 720, but I'm probably lucky.

Am i happy?.....I dont know
Am I satisfied? definetly no.

I do not know whether I should retake the test or no. I know most of you will advice against retake, but I simple am not satisfied. I guess I need guidance and advice.


Its almost been 3 hours since I'm typing this debrief. I do need to add a lot of things, some take-aways, etc. , but I'm simple too tired. Will add it up later. I want to help out other guys who are writing their GMAT, I really do. This is the least I can do. Pls feel free to shoot any questions, I will be glad to answer them.

Regards,
Bhupesh



first, i want to congratulate you on the result even though you are not too satisfied with it, i think its a really good score from all i have heard about the test cos am a novice in this. what an interesting story about your adventure with GMAT and i think this will really help a fresher like me seeking to take the test for the first time.....what other advice would you give me to help get a good outing.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Mar 2012
Posts: 31
Location: United States
Schools: Jones '15 (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 09:49
740 is a phenomenal score.. Work on strengthening everything around this score.. You can sell the fact that you own your own business.. One more thing.. Try doing some volunteer work as it reflects nicely on your profile.. Most schools look at this aspect as well.. But 740 is an amazin score.. Congratulations and all the best for your applications..

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 09:54
Hey Congratulations for the wonderful score !

Wanted to request you to share your material for Quant as I keep getting low score inspite of knowing concepts well. I think I require more material to practice.

It would be of great help if you can share any material.

Thanks in advance.
Anukriti
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 97
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 10:17
Thanks all,

@akpati: I have shared almost everything very honestly in my debrief about my journey through the GMAT. I think the key to kill GMAT is staying motivated & positive throughout your preps. With a right methodology & positive approach, anyone can nail the gmat. Pls let me know if there is anything specific I could help you with in terms of schedule, books,etc.

On a very general note, I would advice every new test taker to begin your prep with a diagnostic test, not to evaluate where you stand (for that doesn't help much) but to rather find your strong/weak areas so that you can accordingly chalk out a plan for your preparation, spending more time on your weak areas and polishing of your skills on the stronger ones.

@Priyank: thanks for your kind suggestion. I am involved in some NGO work, but I do not yet have any certificate for the same. I'm working towards getting one, after which I can add it up in my profile.

@anukriti: I do not have much to share for Quant, as I hardly prepared for it other than practice. But I did prepare an error-log compiling all the questions from the GMATclub tests that I got wrong or thought that involved a concept that needs to be reviewed. I am sharing that for your reference.

What I would suggest is that you need to make an error-log of questions that you find difficult/conceptual and to review it at periodic intervals to master them.

Have you tried gmatclub tests. they are brilliant. May 28th & June 5-7, there is free full day access to the tests, if you can find time, try to exploit these amazing tests to their fullest potential.

@bb: I hope I'm not going against the policies by posting GMATclub test questions. Pls remove the same if it violates any copyrights.

Bhupesh
Attachments

math errors.doc [1.06 MiB]
Downloaded 70 times

To download please login or register as a user

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 97
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 10:23
A Golden Rule:

Getting questions right is not the aim during your practice. But understanding the concepts/logic behind each question is. What is important is to understand whether you are learning from your mistakes or repeating the same again. So do not get discouraged if you make many mistakes during your pratice. Take it positvely, you are allowed to make mistakes here.

Remember......Each mistake made in practice is one fewer mistake in the real exam
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 6
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 11:39
bbharuka wrote:
Thanks all,
---
@akpati: I have shared almost everything very honestly in my debrief about my journey through the GMAT. I think the key to kill GMAT is staying motivated & positive throughout your preps. With a right methodology & positive Bhupesh


Hello bbharuka (Bhupesh),

Congratulation what you have accomplished(740(Q-50,V-39)) within a short span of prep with the strong determination and high diligence. :P

I was daunting to ask this after seeing your pile of scores along with prep time :o , however, I dare myself after finding that lots of requests got fulfilled consummately :) ; I wish if you can share the file that you mentioned above in your debrief ( [highlight]gmatprep questions zip file[/highlight]. There are more than 800 official questions of Verbal :idea: in that doc. What better practice than official questions) for our benefits.

Thanks in adv. :-D
Saumya2u
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 97
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 12:07
2
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks. Attached are the files

Good luck studying. All the very best
Attachments

GMATPrepPS.zip [327.53 KiB]
Downloaded 102 times

To download please login or register as a user

GMATPrepVerbal.zip [264.18 KiB]
Downloaded 91 times

To download please login or register as a user

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 May 2012
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 20:18
bbharuka wrote:
A Golden Rule:

Getting questions right is not the aim during your practice. But understanding the concepts/logic behind each question is. What is important is to understand whether you are learning from your mistakes or repeating the same again. So do not get discouraged if you make many mistakes during your pratice. Take it positvely, you are allowed to make mistakes here.

Remember......Each mistake made in practice is one fewer mistake in the real exam



Thanks for your awesome tips! I also took gmat on 14th May but got a meager 690 (Q49, V32 and AWA 5). I want to improve my verbal from 32 to at least 45. Any advice around that?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 97
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: 740...mixed feelings [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 10:02
Gaurav2013fall wrote:
Thanks for your awesome tips! I also took gmat on 14th May but got a meager 690 (Q49, V32 and AWA 5). I want to improve my verbal from 32 to at least 45. Any advice around that?


First of all, pls do not consider your score meager. It is less but definetly not meager.
Pls do not consider me a hypocrite. I also recently learned to look at things positively. I was cynical about myself because of the tremendous mental pressure & high expectations I had with myself...so the pessimism within me.

Now the good part is that you can do a lot to improve upon your verbal & thus your overall score.
Here are some tips for Verbal that I followed.
verbal-is-blocking-all-my-mba-aspirations-131934.html#p1082072

Hope that helps
Re: 740...mixed feelings   [#permalink] 25 May 2012, 10:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Feel the Love terp26 6 22 Aug 2008, 06:00
Feeling low :( fawreel902 21 04 Aug 2007, 15:56
feel stucked Grooby 0 27 Nov 2006, 11:52
Not feeling to great wiseguy 2 19 Nov 2005, 14:24
Feeling low.... Adam 4 23 Jul 2005, 17:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

740...mixed feelings

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

Moderator: TGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.