Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [5] , given: 0

740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 03:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am ecstatic that finally I am done with my GMAT and did pretty well on it. Now I should be competitive for most of the programs that I am targeting. These forums here have been very helpful and I thought that i'd share here a bit about my GMAT experience so that future test-takers can benefit.

My background and why an MBA
A very typical profile. A guy bored with my IT job, working as a TL and wondering what the hell am I doing with my life. I have always envisioned myself doing something larger than myself and not being a slave to the next paycheque but somehow I feel I am stuck in a rut here where my life has only two destinations- my home and my nonsensical work at office.
I don’t know whether an MBA will help me figure out my calling in life but what I definitely know is that it will open up those opportunities for me that are not available right now. In fact ,right now the only opportunity that I see is switching my job which is like a dead end in itself.

Anyway, more on that topic later, let’s come back to the topic about the GMAT. I decided to apply for fall 2014 intake and the first step to achieve this target was to take the GMAT. I have always felt quite strong on Quant and fairly, if not very, strong on verbal. I thought that achieving a 99th percentile on the GMAT would be a great fete if I could achieve it and I kicked off my journey!

The resources I used:
I used the following books
OG13
Verbal-Aristotle SC, CR and RC Grails
Quant- Manhattan Quant Strategy Guides
CATs- ManhattanGMAT 6 CATs

How I prepared
I prepared for a total of 3 months. I really wanted to ensure that I finish my GMAT by 15th August so that it becomes easier for me to prepare my application and submit it in R1 for my target schools!

I firstly worked through all the verbal grail books as verbal was one area in which I was relatively weaker . The way I studied is that I would start with a chapter, go through the concepts and then would do the practice problems at the end of the book that tested on that particular concept.
Doing this really helps as you are able to build a solid foundation in one particular area and then move on to the next.

After I was done with the concepts and practice problems in the grail books, I moved on to the OG questions. I didn’t want to use the OG questions while learning the concepts because then I wouldn’t be able to get the maximum benefit from them.
Quant was not much my focus area as I felt confident in quant but still I wanted to capitalize on this and take my score to 51 so that even if something bad happens on verbal section on the actual GMAT, I’d be safely able to cross the 730 mark!

The Big day

It was not exactly a smooth sailing on Math. Since I had not prepared much for P&C, I was quite startled to see the first question as a P&C question. It took me around 4 minutes to do the question and I ended up becoming a little nervous that I have wasted a lot of time. I made up for the lost time in the subsequent questions and finished the quant section on time. The verbal section also went well and surprisingly I ended up finishing it with a minute to go! I was quite pleased with the score that appeared on the screen after the test !

Key learnings:
•A lot of people directly start practicing questions which I think is a bad strategy.Firstly build a strong foundations by working on your concepts and once your concepts are strong enough, then you can focus on practicing questions.
•Keep on visiting the online forums to stay motivated. Believe me motivation is the key.
•Spend a good amount of time in analyzing questions that you practice. Practicing more questions doesn’t help; analysis does!
•Take at least 8 full length CATs. It will help you on time management
•Don’t take the GMAT if you are not ready for it. I postponed my GMAT once because I knew that I will not hit my target score and I certainly didn’t want to get demotivated by taking the GMAT once and screwing it up!

Last edited by gauravdahl on 10 Aug 2013, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Re: 740(Q-41,Q-49) in 3 month- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 05:09
Congrats on your score!
Could you elaborate on your verbal prep?
Thanks
Neeley Thread Master
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: 740(Q-41,Q-49) in 3 month- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 11:15
Thumbs up Dude! I believe the split is V-41/Q-49, and the subject line has a small typo.

Between, I'm thinking whether to purchase SC Grail, did it helped you in the exam? If you've not sold the book yet,then I'll purchase the pdf version of SC Grail.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(Q-41,Q-49) in 3 month- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 07:13
Gian wrote:
Thumbs up Dude! I believe the split is V-41/Q-49, and the subject line has a small typo.

Between, I'm thinking whether to purchase SC Grail, did it helped you in the exam? If you've not sold the book yet,then I'll purchase the pdf version of SC Grail.

Thank you for pointing out the typo. Have corrected it. Yes, SC Grail did help a lot as I found Manhattan SC to be a bit complicated to read.
I don't have the pdf version as I had purchased the 3rd edition which is in the paperback format.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 00:43
3 months is the perfect amount of time I think to apply to schools. I have been doing it for the last 2 months and have my GMAT in another week.I hope I'm able to scale it now.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 22:33
Gaurav,
Thank you for writing the debrief. Can you let me know what should be verbal strategy in the last 1 month of my prep?
Intern
Intern

Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 01:46
gauravdahl wrote:
I am ecstatic that finally I am done with my GMAT and did pretty well on it. Now I should be competitive for most of the programs that I am targeting. These forums here have been very helpful and I thought that i'd share here a bit about my GMAT experience so that future test-takers can benefit.

My background and why an MBA
A very typical profile. A guy bored with my IT job, working as a TL and wondering what the hell am I doing with my life. I have always envisioned myself doing something larger than myself and not being a slave to the next paycheque but somehow I feel I am stuck in a rut here where my life has only two destinations- my home and my nonsensical work at office.
I don’t know whether an MBA will help me figure out my calling in life but what I definitely know is that it will open up those opportunities for me that are not available right now. In fact ,right now the only opportunity that I see is switching my job which is like a dead end in itself.

I can very much relate to what you are saying. I am also in the same boat :( Thanks for the detailed post but. Was really very helpful
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.38

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 10:44
Congrats for the performance!
It's interesting that I had the same split (Q49 V41) and I got 730, lol
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 24

CAT Tests
Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 07:59
Hi Gaurav, congratulations for a nice score!
Could you please suggest how MGMAT scores relate to the actual GMAT score. How much were you getting on average in MGMATs?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 00:38
asingh203 wrote:
Could you please suggest how MGMAT scores relate to the actual GMAT score. How much were you getting on average in MGMATs?

From what i have read on the forum, MGMAT quant is much tougher than the GMAT quant..So if you are getting 47 on MGMAT Quant, you should be hitting around 49 in the actual GMAT. Not very sure about verbal, but i think MGMAT verbal is a tad easier than the actual GMAT
Intern
Intern

Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 00:51
congrads, man. i plan to take it within a month
Intern
Intern
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 09:10
abhinavarya wrote:
asingh203 wrote:

From what i have read on the forum, MGMAT quant is much tougher than the GMAT quant..So if you are getting 47 on MGMAT Quant, you should be hitting around 49 in the actual GMAT. Not very sure about verbal, but i think MGMAT verbal is a tad easier than the actual GMAT[/quot]
I'd recommend anyone to use the 2 new GMATPREP CATs that are paid and have been released by the GMAC recently. I haven't used them personally but I think that the more you practice from official tests, the better it is.
Intern
Intern

Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 22:03
russianaspirant wrote:
I'd recommend anyone to use the 2 new GMATPREP CATs that are paid and have been released by the GMAC recently. I haven't used them personally but I think that the more you practice from official tests, the better it is.

Thanks dude. Your debrief and other posts made total sense to me.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 12:54
russianaspirant wrote:
abhinavarya wrote:
asingh203 wrote:

From what i have read on the forum, MGMAT quant is much tougher than the GMAT quant..So if you are getting 47 on MGMAT Quant, you should be hitting around 49 in the actual GMAT. Not very sure about verbal, but i think MGMAT verbal is a tad easier than the actual GMAT[/quot]

I didn't take the new tests myself as they had not released by then but one of my friends who took the tests recently had great things to say about the tests. Would recommend anyone to go for them

Here's how I got a 760 on the GMAT

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 4: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 02:37
Congrats Gaurav. You got the same score split as I did :). Except that I got a 730!

beelonzz wrote:

Yep, same here beelonzz - got a 730 too.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else! [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2014, 12:03
ZoSoKM wrote:
Congrats Gaurav. You got the same score split as I did :). Except that I got a 730!

beelonzz wrote:

Yep, same here beelonzz - got a 730 too.

Seems like too many 730ers here on the club! Congrats all and all the best for the steps ahead.

Here's how I got a 760 on the GMAT

Re: 740(V-41,Q-49) in 3 months- Sheer Hardwork, nothing else!   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2014, 12:03