Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

740 (Q 48, V 44)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

740 (Q 48, V 44) [#permalink] New post 31 May 2006, 13:55
Given my performance on practice tests, how much I studied, AND how hard it was to find study time while working 50-60 hours a week, I'm somewhat disappointed. Regardless, I doubt I'll be taking the GMAT again...goodbye scholarships *sniff*

Oh well, enough of my pathetic whining. This forum was very helpful in my efforts, and I like to share my experiences.

Preparation:
OG 11th Ed.
OG Quant review
Manhattan GMAT's (MGMAT) Sentence Correction workbook
Online Kaplan Course (did everything. yes everything)
Kaplan's GMAT 800

Kaplan Pract. Test Scores: 640, 630, 650, 790, 710, 760, 710, 780, 730
MGMAT Pract. Test Scores: 640, 650, 750
Powerprep: 740, 760

Thoughts on study material:
I thought the OG material was the best. The questions seemed easier than real GMAT questions and the rest of the study material, but the questions were still the most representative. The Powerprep tests are perfect. Also, there's some great review material in that Powerprep software.

I picked up MGMAT's sentence correction guide, and it was exceptional. Thanks to MGMAT's SC review, I went from being very confused about my own language to being a complete jerk correcting other people's sentences and stuff (j/k). MGMAT's tests are a little funky, but the math is nice and tough making it very valuable for high scorers.

Kaplan's GMAT 800 was great for the verbal, but the math questions were hardly advanced. I did them all in my head with no scratch paper (honest), and I'm not that smart (honest). The online Kaplan course was worthless except for the tests which were decent. My biggest beef with Kaplan's practice tests were that the math questions were all the same. I don't mean they were questions were identical, but they had a characteristic style that made them less diverse than the real GMAT questions. To put it another way, if you just take Kaplan's practice tests, you'll be surprised on the actual GMAT.

Test Day:
I didn't feel nervous or stressed out the day before, but I think I was. I couldn't sleep to save my life.

Anyway, I checked in at the test center and all that. Don't smile like a goofball for your picture like I did. Every time you take a break, the computer flashes your mug up on the monitor like a screen saver. I looked like an idiot, and I couldn't help thinking about it during my breaks. Very distracting

My essays were terrible. I felt like a raging bull, and all wanted to do was sink my teeth into the quant section. To make matters worse, I got a really serious issue topic about racism, and I didn't do it justice. It went something like this:
Racism is a terrible and sadly ubiquitous scourge. NOW WHERE'S THE FRAKKIN' MATH?!?!
I have a lot of explaining to do during my interview...

My math score was my biggest disappointment after shaming my family with my junior-high-school-level essays. Frankly, I was very nervous at this point, and I couldn't think clearly. There were several questions early on that I just couldn't clear my mind enough to focus on, and I'm sure I missed. Thinking back on those questions, they weren't that hard. Meh.

I was pleased with my verbal score. By the time I got to the verbal, I was still sharp, but relaxed. Obviously I missed a few, but I felt great missing them. No complaints there.

Summary:
OG must have. Kaplan so-so. MGMAT great. Someone needs to move the essays to the end of the test.

Thanks again everyone and good luck!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2006, 13:57
Let me be the first to congratulate you!
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2006, 14:14
Great job dude! Congraats...

Don't worry about the AWA.. The admissions people won't have enough time to read ur essays..

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2006, 15:41
Congratulations
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2006, 18:42
Great Score...Congratulations. :!:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2006, 00:40
This is a great score dude.... Congrats!!!
This is sufficient for almost anything including admissions and scolarship..... i don't think you need to rewrite the exam

All the best.
  [#permalink] 02 Jun 2006, 00:40