Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 11:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2012
Posts: 13
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 09:39
I have been having a tough time with reading comprehension and am thinking of going for RC Grail..Are there strategies in the book ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 02:31
russianaspirant wrote:
I have been having a tough time with reading comprehension and am thinking of going for RC Grail..Are there strategies in the book ?


Yes, RC Grail has strategies. I'm using the book and pretty much like it
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 01:58
@VikingGMAT
Great advice. Do update us here if you get admitted to schools especially because you prepared your application within a couple of days :-D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 09:48
jason25 wrote:
@VikingGMAT
Great advice. Do update us here if you get admitted to schools especially because you prepared your application within a couple of days :-D


Yes, vikingGMAT should later probably later write a post on "How I took the GMAT late yet made it through a top MBA program " :-D
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1636
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 16:07
Expert's post
Excellent score! Congratulations and good luck with the rest of your applications.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 04:27
FuzzyLogic wrote:
Yes, vikingGMAT should later probably later write a post on "How I took the GMAT late yet made it through a top MBA program " :-D


Hahaha. True. I think many people would be interested in reading such a post here.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 07:08
Excellent tips and advice. I have my GMAT coming in 2 weeks and I think that I certainly learnt a couple of new things from your post. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2012
Posts: 13
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 00:24
Great article. I think you did a very good job by applying just in time. Did you hear from some schools you applied to ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 07:18
I think that it's always better to apply in the next season if your applications are not ready enough but that's just me :D
Moderator
Moderator
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 287
Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 00:57
Great score and awesome story ..Any updates from the schools you had applied to ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2012
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 22:30
Glad that you took the exam in a hurry and still got a good score. For once, I also wanted to take the GMAT in Jan and apply to schools but somehow I felt that I wasn't prepared and taking the exam in a hurry wouldn't do any good. So delayed it and have it this week . Hopefully I'm able to do well on the test
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 02:59
FuzzyLogic wrote:
I think that it's always better to apply in the next season if your applications are not ready enough but that's just me :D


One good option i think that people have if they are late in applying to US schools is to apply to INSEAD and IMD. Admissions starts in January for IMD and for INSEAD it's round the years since they have two intakes in a year
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 11
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 20:59
Awesome split between quant and verbal scores. You have done a terrific job! Well done
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2013
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 01:53
OP,
I loved your strategy to crack the GMAT. Thank you for sharing it with us.

jason25 wrote:
FuzzyLogic wrote:
I think that it's always better to apply in the next season if your applications are not ready enough but that's just me :D


One good option i think that people have if they are late in applying to US schools is to apply to INSEAD and IMD. Admissions starts in January for IMD and for INSEAD it's round the years since they have two intakes in a year

Just a passing note- only the January intake of INSEAD has an internship option so if you are planning to switch industries, this session is better than the september one
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 21:28
Srilankanaspirant wrote:
OP,
I loved your strategy to crack the GMAT. Thank you for sharing it with us.

jason25 wrote:
FuzzyLogic wrote:
I think that it's always better to apply in the next season if your applications are not ready enough but that's just me :D


One good option i think that people have if they are late in applying to US schools is to apply to INSEAD and IMD. Admissions starts in January for IMD and for INSEAD it's round the years since they have two intakes in a year

Just a passing note- only the January intake of INSEAD has an internship option so if you are planning to switch industries, this session is better than the september one


However, the fact is that almost 40% of the INSEAD students in the January term don't go for internships..They just take a break and travel or do something else. Internship is not very important .
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 07:23
Awesome score. I just love the way your prep shaped up. I'm planning to take the GMAT in another 3-4 months and i hope to follow your plan
VikingGMAT wrote:
Today I took the GMAT at their NYC test center and got a 740. Stern,IMD,Darden and Stanford are the only schools I can apply to because I've missed the deadlines of a couple of other schools on my target. Although I am on a tight schedule as the deadlines of these schools is quite close but now after getting done with the GMAT successfully, I think that I'll be able to manage the applications also.

My profile :
Male with Finance Majors from University of Texas,Austin with 4 years of experience working on the East coast in financial consulting. Want to move to a hedge fund and MBA is almost a pre requisite for making this transition happen.

Prep Timeline:
I kicked off my prep quite late(mid October to be precise) and had taken a Dec 20th appointment within a few days of starting my prep. Come December first week and I realized that I'm not prepared for 20th Dec. I thought that I'd take a risk and give it a go but some friends at business schools suggested otherwise. They said that screwing my test meant that I'd have to wait for one more month,by when the R2 deadlines of all schools would be closed.
So it's better that I be a bit late than be sorry for 1 year so rescheduled the test for 5th Jan. Though that did mean that I'd not be able to apply to a couple of schools I wanted to but still would be left with some schools.


Prep Strategy:

My job involves a lot of traveling and it wasn't possible for me to enroll in a prep program so I had to manage my prep on my own. The GMAT forums proved very instrumental in helping me ride solo. Read a lot of success stories and followed the advices of the experts. Based on the advices here, used the following resources
Quant-Manhattan Strategy Guides
Verbal-Aristotle Grail series.

Although since i had a focus on accounting during my undergrad, still I had gotten quite rusty and ManhattanGMAT books came in handy for helping my sharpen my math skills.
My advice to the native speakers is to not take Verbal lightly. True we do have an advantage but still you still need to put those hours in Verbal. It'd become an easy ride if you are able to identify question types and errors easily and the next time you see them being tested on a question, you'd tackle the questions much confidently thinking"ahh! there it goes..". I loved the Aristotle Verbal books especially their SC Grail 3rd edition. Due to paucity of time, could only go through half of the RC Grail but the book is great too

Practice test scores :
I relied only on MGMAT and GMATPREP practice tests. I have heard good things about Kaplan's 8 practice tests but didn't have time to go through them.
These were my practice test scores:
GMATPREP#1 : 710-1 month before the test
MGMAT #1 : 680- 3 weeks before the test
MGMAT 2 : 720 - 2 weeks before the test

In the fortnight leading to the test, I took a break from work and took 7 tests in all-1 each day.
I think what you gain from doing a lot of tests is that you develop that patience to sit for 4 hours straight which is quite difficult. My iphone has made me all the more restless person as checking it every 10 minutes has become a habit(that I need to get rid of) so sitting for 4 hours taking the test was indeed testing the limit of your patience.


Test Day Experience:
I reached the test center well on time. The center staff was courteous.
Started with AWA and could easily spot 2-3 flaws in the prompt.IR went smoothly too. Faced a bit of trouble on Quant around 24-28th questions. There were a couple of inequalities DS questions. I hadn't touched Permutations and combinations during my prep so when I got two of these questions,
I just read the question quickly(to decide whether they are solvable or not) and then took a few seconds making an educated guess and moved on.

The ride in Verbal was a bit bumpy too mostly because I was running behind time. Contrary to what I had thought, the CR on the GMAT was quite manageable and I thankfully didn't get stuck deciding between the last two options after having eliminated 3 choices.
SC questions were like islands of pleasure after the tiring RCs. I think that SC Grail had prepared me quite well so I was actually looking forward to them during the test.

After finishing the verbal section, my heart was literally about to jump out in anxiety while waiting for the score to flash on the screen. I almost jumped out of seat seeing the score. Thanked Jesus for letting me finish the battle in the first go itself.

I've now a very tough task ahead of myself as the deadline of Darden is just 4 days away so I better spend the next few days sleepless. Thank you very much for having these great GMAT forums which have the most helpful people in the world!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2012
Posts: 13
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 09:13
VikingGMAT,
My post MBA goal is also to work in a hedge fund. Loved reading your debrief. Sent you PM. Would love to connect
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 00:57
Awesome post. I'm just starting off my prep and your debrief provided me structure as to how should I move ahead
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Posts: 64
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 14:02
VikingGMAT wrote:
Today I took the GMAT at their NYC test center and got a 740. Stern,IMD,Darden and Stanford are the only schools I can apply to because I've missed the deadlines of a couple of other schools on my target. Although I am on a tight schedule as the deadlines of these schools is quite close but now after getting done with the GMAT successfully, I think that I'll be able to manage the applications also.

My profile :
Male with Finance Majors from University of Texas,Austin with 4 years of experience working on the East coast in financial consulting. Want to move to a hedge fund and MBA is almost a pre requisite for making this transition happen.

Prep Timeline:
I kicked off my prep quite late(mid October to be precise) and had taken a Dec 20th appointment within a few days of starting my prep. Come December first week and I realized that I'm not prepared for 20th Dec. I thought that I'd take a risk and give it a go but some friends at business schools suggested otherwise. They said that screwing my test meant that I'd have to wait for one more month,by when the R2 deadlines of all schools would be closed.
So it's better that I be a bit late than be sorry for 1 year so rescheduled the test for 5th Jan. Though that did mean that I'd not be able to apply to a couple of schools I wanted to but still would be left with some schools.


Prep Strategy:

My job involves a lot of traveling and it wasn't possible for me to enroll in a prep program so I had to manage my prep on my own. The GMAT forums proved very instrumental in helping me ride solo. Read a lot of success stories and followed the advices of the experts. Based on the advices here, used the following resources
Quant-Manhattan Strategy Guides
Verbal-Aristotle Grail series.

Although since i had a focus on accounting during my undergrad, still I had gotten quite rusty and ManhattanGMAT books came in handy for helping my sharpen my math skills.
My advice to the native speakers is to not take Verbal lightly. True we do have an advantage but still you still need to put those hours in Verbal. It'd become an easy ride if you are able to identify question types and errors easily and the next time you see them being tested on a question, you'd tackle the questions much confidently thinking"ahh! there it goes..". I loved the Aristotle Verbal books especially their SC Grail 3rd edition. Due to paucity of time, could only go through half of the RC Grail but the book is great too

Practice test scores :
I relied only on MGMAT and GMATPREP practice tests. I have heard good things about Kaplan's 8 practice tests but didn't have time to go through them.
These were my practice test scores:
GMATPREP#1 : 710-1 month before the test
MGMAT #1 : 680- 3 weeks before the test
MGMAT 2 : 720 - 2 weeks before the test

In the fortnight leading to the test, I took a break from work and took 7 tests in all-1 each day.
I think what you gain from doing a lot of tests is that you develop that patience to sit for 4 hours straight which is quite difficult. My iphone has made me all the more restless person as checking it every 10 minutes has become a habit(that I need to get rid of) so sitting for 4 hours taking the test was indeed testing the limit of your patience.


Test Day Experience:
I reached the test center well on time. The center staff was courteous.
Started with AWA and could easily spot 2-3 flaws in the prompt.IR went smoothly too. Faced a bit of trouble on Quant around 24-28th questions. There were a couple of inequalities DS questions. I hadn't touched Permutations and combinations during my prep so when I got two of these questions,
I just read the question quickly(to decide whether they are solvable or not) and then took a few seconds making an educated guess and moved on.

The ride in Verbal was a bit bumpy too mostly because I was running behind time. Contrary to what I had thought, the CR on the GMAT was quite manageable and I thankfully didn't get stuck deciding between the last two options after having eliminated 3 choices.
SC questions were like islands of pleasure after the tiring RCs. I think that SC Grail had prepared me quite well so I was actually looking forward to them during the test.

After finishing the verbal section, my heart was literally about to jump out in anxiety while waiting for the score to flash on the screen. I almost jumped out of seat seeing the score. Thanked Jesus for letting me finish the battle in the first go itself.

I've now a very tough task ahead of myself as the deadline of Darden is just 4 days away so I better spend the next few days sleepless. Thank you very much for having these great GMAT forums which have the most helpful people in the world!


Hey man...great story..where did you finally get admits from ? My profile is quite similar to yours..I'm joining school this fall..lemme know if you got through anywhere..we can connect
_________________

Here's how I got a 760 on the GMAT

Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry!   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2014, 14:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Thank You - 740 (Q49 V42) daedalus1989 0 03 May 2013, 18:48
3 finally DONE! 740 Q49 V42 djslobo 7 20 Dec 2011, 03:49
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic 740 (Q49, V42) -- from 520 (first diagnostic test) leilak 11 12 Jun 2010, 12:22
740 Q49 V42 INSEAD2008 5 15 Apr 2007, 02:59
740: Q49, V42. You can do it too. Andy C 8 30 Apr 2006, 21:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

Moderator: TGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.